Collective Brands Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Lead Yard Driver/Shipping (Former Employee) –  Brookville, OH26 February 2018
As a young person starting out in a new role it was a great learning experience on how the professional world operates. Being part of a startup there were some definite challenges.
Good
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Brookville, OH24 January 2018
Good place to work! If you're looking for steady work and fair pay! It's also a plus if you have children! You can take advantage of the discounts for them or yourself!!!
Pros
Discounts
Awesom experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC4 January 2018
This company paired me with an awesome Manager that showed me the ins and outs of scheduling, window changes and scheduling. My Manager prepared me to become a Manager.
have to pay attention
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI3 October 2017
must be attentive to all customers in the store. my job was to prevent loss or pilferage in the store and to do that I had to be aware of everyone coming in and going out.
Retail management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KS 6660713 August 2017
Typical duties of the job. Our original company was part of a hostile takeover to gain our brands. Our part of the formed company (Collective Brands) did well as we had always done. They tried to change how we did business too much.
Pay was poor,Training was Great,vacation time was great
Forklift operator, warhousing (Former Employee) –  Brookville, OH20 July 2017
Stocking & pulling orders the best equipment ever a very good environment no chance for advancement a fast past work area company changed hands to many times.
Pros
Great equipment
Cons
fast pace, no chance to advance
Promising place to work, but not fun
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MA8 February 2017
Definitely a more corporate feel to the entire place. A little more cut-throat than needed due to it being a shoe company. A lot of older people too, which may be the cause of the "old school, boss it right" attitude. Great place to learn how to play "the game", but not a fun place to meet friends, or enjoy the work you're doing.
Pros
In house cafe, open atrium hang out area, successful place.
Cons
Older company age wise, corporate feel, not a lot of synergy.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CA31 August 2016
Collective Brands is great place to work, you will be fully trained and have the confidence and business savvy that you can take to any job> They train you on customer service the best in the business. You will sharpen your suggestive selling skills to say the least.
Pros
Great coaching and feedback
Cons
They look for and promote the right people!
Great group of people and the DM's are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Springville, UT18 August 2015
I operated several Payless store locations and enjoyed it very much. The District Managers I was employed under were extremely great to work for.

The company cares about their employees and gave incentives to show it.
Pros
Great benefits, a very good amount of vacation, personal time was allotted for full time employees.
Cons
I don't recall any real cons at this company. We worked Holidays; however, I gave my staff every other Holiday off.
Lean organization struggling to compete
Analyst and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KS29 July 2015
Collective brands offers someone an opportunity to wear many hats and do varied work. Great place to learn and wonderful people to work with in the HQ office.
A place where I felt like family with a focus on promotion from within the organization.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MA8 June 2015
Stride Rite/Collective Brands Inc. was a company with integrity focusing on their customers' families and their family of internal customers. The team I worked for as well as my team were dedicated and results driven while caring for a person. My boss used to say nothing happens and no one gets paid until someone in a store sell a pair of shoes. This statement showed the importance of everyone in the organization including the person on the front lines of customer service. Retail hours are and will always be a challenge for a work/life balance.
This company is all about great customer service along with well trained people
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Richmond Ca. 948012 June 2015
Well organized with specific sales goal and work plans.
I've learned that training is the key to success coupled with the right people. The most challenging and rewarding is balancing time management with task and goals but most rewarding part is it can be done. The most enjoyable part of my job is when customers walk away with more than what they expected.
Pros
Great benefits and incentives
Cons
Challenges are lots of training and coaching but again it makes for well qualified people.
it was a different place to work
full time employee (Former Employee) –  Brookville, oh6 October 2014
There is no such thing as a typical day at collective brands. Working there really taught me how to work with other people. Working on the replenishment line we had to work together to make sure the people putting the shoes away were always busy and we had to make sure the forklift drivers had some where to put the pallets after they were done with their pull. The management team was very helpful in everything if something started to back up they would jump in and help. There wasn't really anything hard about the job. I enjoyed the workout that it would give you every day.
Pros
30min lunch decent healthcare
Cons
being sent home becasue of lack of work
not good place to work
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brookville, OH29 June 2014
learned how to inventory damaged items
management is not very cooperative
Pros
General Labor - Money Saver.
Warehouse Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brookville, OH27 May 2014
The most enjoyable part about working in a warehouse is the overtime possibility and the large selection of departments you're able to work in.
Pros
Excellent pay.
Cons
No face to face customer experience.
Very hard work to do
Seasonal Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brookville, OH13 May 2014
You have to be very physical to work there. It is very hot in the summer working there and cold in the winter
Horrible
Unit Sorter/Receiving Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brookville, OH27 December 2013
Collective Brands started out great just like any new place to work that hasn't been open long, but it began to get inconsistent. The company had been sold 2 times while I worked there and there was no leadership in the building for a good 6 months. The work was very physical and will wear your body out fast. If you need some thing temporary until you find something better I recommend it mainly for the benefits, they were awesome pay wasn't bad but for the physical it needs to be more.
Pros
Benefits, decent pay
Cons
inconsistencies, physical labor
repetitive work
Operations Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brookville, OH24 July 2013
picked accessories once boxes were completed we would pack then ship. I learned how to us RF guns. I aslo learned more about the payless brand in a whole. The team of people I worked with were very nice and we became a family. The hardest part of the job was the repetitiveness. After 4yrs of doing the exact same thing it became old and boring. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team I worked with.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
job security
Productive and fun place to work with a close knit, family atmosphere.
Computer Operator II (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KS27 February 2013
Data Center Operations is composed of four shifts working 12 hours per day. Shift changes are at 6:00 am and 6:00 pm and shifts work four days one week, three days the next.
z/OS mainframe, iSeries midrange and various distributed systems platforms (Windows, AIX, Unix, Linux and Citrix) make up the production IT environment.
Having come from the telecomminucations industry, working here exposed me to the retail fashion industry.
There are a lot of loyal, long time employees who have been with the company for many years. There are also a lot of former Sprint employees here, so there were many people whom I was already aquainted with from my years at Sprint.
The hardest part of the job for me was the long commute, 60 miles each way.
The most enjoyable part of the job were the friendly and supportive co-workers I had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
good people to work with, good benefits, opportunity for overtime.
Cons
location in topeka, the building is old and seems crowded. retail is struggling in this economy.
management was very helpful in learning my job
shipping department (Current Employee) –  Brookville, OH28 October 2012
i started decasing and packing shoes and worked my way up to shipping.I know every phase of the company thanks to management and HR.they have given me every opportunity to learn. co-workers are very friendly and helpful to work with. the hardest part of the job was to get used to packing shoes...was hard on the hands from handling the big boxes.
Pros
keep us well informed
Cons
no cons