Coca-Cola Refreshments Employee Review

View all Coca-Cola Refreshments reviews

Flat, no fizzle
Temporary Order Picker (Former Employee) –  2750 Boul. L'Assomption, Montreal, QC24 July 2013
I interviewed twice with this company in the space of one year - once for a production position in Richmond, BC, and another (for which I was hired) as a seasonal order picker at the distribution center in Montreal, QC. The hiring was done via a phone interview with the head office in Toronto, ON, and an in-person meeting with one of the warehouse supervisors. I had done the same process for the job in Richmond, only without being retained. What stood out at that particular engagement was the way the hiring manager referred to his habit of "booting out" temporary workers that, for one reason or another, didn't meet his requirements (namely obtaining a "boiler ticket" - the reason for which was never clearly elaborated upon); and that they met with many candidates for my positions, and so I shouldn't get my hopes up. He also made me wait for 20 minutes past the appointment time in the lobby. Generally very unprofessional and corporate in diction/demeanor.

Basically, there's no realistic way to be hired permanently by this company if you're taken on as a temp (or seasonal) worker. I inquired and was told the waiting list for a permanent position goes back to 2006. Apparently it now takes one of the "old-timers" (read: guys who've been driving forklifts for 37+ years because they're not competent to do anything else) retiring before a position's available. At that point, it's given for night shift (the one no one generally wants), then evening, then day (both of the latter having their own respective waiting lists).

I found the two on-duty supervisors aloof and disinterested
  more... in warehouse operations other than to chide the material handlers for not moving fast enough. The order pickers themselves were given to slacking off and smoking cigarettes behind the pallet racks, and constantly complained of what they were being asked to do. I also found the jokes between the supervisors and workers (usually directed one-way with sarcastic overtones regarding performance) to be entirely inappropriate for such a large company. The sanitary conditions of the lunch room and toilets was also wholly sub-par.

Suffice it to say that my training (which took place during the day) lasted a few days, after which I notified the supervisors that I was leaving. It's worth mentioning that temporary workers are paid half of what the permanent workers make (therefore not a lot) and that you'll get put on night shift (occasionally evening rotations) if you choose to stay. They also informed me that the bulk of the work would be during the summer, after which the work would essentially dry up for us and only long-term temporary & permanent workers would be able to make 40 hours a week.

PS. For all the references to the benefits of having a limitless supply of soda in the cafeteria, I found the Coke flat and the other beverages less-than-flavorful compared to what's sold in stores.
Pros
honesty: They tell you that your hours get cut off in the fall
Cons
Well, everything.

Other Coca-Cola Refreshments Employee Reviews

Great Team Great Brands Great Customers
Market Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 May 2018
Fast Paced, always changing, loved the unexpected, loved the business, loved my career. Full of opportunity and challenges. Kept life exciting! Wouldn't change a thing.
Pros
Presidents Club
Contract employee
Jr. Ingénieur Industriel (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 May 2018
I am a contract employee, therefore my day to day procedures differ from the standard full time employee. That being said i am satisfied with the work standard at Coca-Cola

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coca-Cola Refreshments. Our community is ready to answer.

52.7K