COBS Bread

COBS Bread Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time

I worked at 3 locations in Edmonton, Callingood, Brewery District, and Leduc. I also did all 3 stations, bowls, production, and ovens. I liked the hours and being able to leave early if all jobs completed. Enjoyed Breaducate and their in store training sessions with the top Cobs Bread Baker of Canada. Felt I was highly trained for a position I knew nothing about with great Head Bakers and Owners.Really liked the fact that franchise owners are made to participate in in-store training.I loved my time at Cobs Bread and would go back to them again in an instant.

Pros

Hours, on going training

Cons

Sleeping.

bad management and discrimination

i had a really bad experience management was very bad, never listened to you, would talk over you was extremely immature, all staff who have been there for years left when this person joined management, favouritism was huge at this workplace. definitely avoid

Sales management members act like robots

Interview process is extremely easy. You go in, the interviewer might comment on how overdressed you are, and you are granted an opportunity for a working interview. If you are a sales assistant and show up in uniform, you will most likely be offered a job the next day. Your wage is not negotiated upon initial interview and minimum wage may be in your contract depending on your location. I did not receive an employment contract. In fact, I did not receive one until 2 months into my employment because the store manager had “forgotten about it”. You will begin doing extremely mundane daily tasks such as scrubbing dirt off the floor while customers step over you, and probably expect responsibilities to eventually become less trivial the longer you work here. However, they do not. This is what the job is. You slice bread, heat things up, make the product look nice, and if you have nothing to do, management comes over like a leech and says, “don’t just stand there, do something!” Besides entertaining management, the customers and the product are actually the best part about this job. My location happened to have some awesome regulars and phenomenal product, so it’s a shame I had to write this. The environment was decent until there was a turnover of half the staff, at which point I began to appreciate what I did here much less. Near the end of my employment, I was being watched like a hawk for every mundane task they told me to do. I didn’t expect questions to be encouraged any longer. When they were understaffed, my scheduling manager said, “don’t ask questions, you’ve been here -

Pros

Free food at the end of the day

Cons

Inexperienced management, poor scheduling, low wages

Bad management

You are always expected to work above your paygrade. Suck it up when you feel stretched to thin because you're going to be the unreasonable one. Management has very poor communication skills and plays favourites. If you have a problem with one of their favorites better suck it up because they will not care when they aren't pulling their own weight. You are expected to be available even on your days off. And it's seen negatively when you won't come in on off days.

Pros

Free bread

Cons

Breaks are discouraged. poor management.

Managers very uptight

Managers at this location are very uptight, particularly the owner. They’re always hiring because of the high turnover. You need to be perfect or the managers won’t like you. You must also work every holiday.

Pros

Free bakery items every shift

Cons

Management, high stress

Sub-par starting job, never worth doing full-time

Pretty ok for a first part-time job, or perhaps something local to hold onto while you're in high school or post-secondary. Pay close attention during the interview about what hours you're open to because they are very rigid about when they want you to work. The free food is clutch too, especially if you're buying your own groceries the free bread is great. Anything more than that is not worth it. The online training is pretty bad, barely works on computers at home so you end up doing it at your shift and therefore abandoning your coworkers. Micromanaging was very present at my location which meant staff were always on alert and morale wasn't high.Morning staff were told not to take breaks because it'd "interfere with the sales" and if you brought up labor laws then management would freak out, then reluctantly let you take a fifteen minute before throwing you back out there. Learned one of the most loyal and dedicated workers who'd been there for a few years only got a 25 cent raise. FOH staff were very pleasant but the bakers were miserable. Again, location depending.

Pros

Free Products to take home each shift, Decent Coworkers, Very clean environment

Cons

Poor Management, Advancement/Raises are nonexistent even for loyal staff

Okay

Cobs is a good job, there’s a lot to learn but if you’re trained properly you’ll pick it up and be confident fairy quickly. Cash handling and dealing with customers experience is handy but not necessary to be successful. Focus on product knowledge, selling techniques and cleaning. The owner of this location was horrible, they badmouthed staff to others, fired people randomly for different reasons, raised their voice and swore at staff, made questionable comments, ignored staff when mad at them and more. Would never recommend working for this owner, they were completely unappreciative of good staff and treated staff very wrong.

Pros

Free product

Cons

Can be a toxic staff long shifts sometimes boring

Easy job but bad manager

Overall a very easy job, you slice bread, pack pastries and make everything look orderly. Customers are very friendly most of the time but management is where it went downhill slightly. It was a common problem amongst my coworkers and I to constantly not get paid appropriately and we would have to prove to them where they went wrong so we had to take pictures of our weekly work hours or else we wouldn't get paid. Coworkers are friendly enough though.

Pros

about 10$ of free product EVERY shift

Cons

bad managers and no tips

Don't work here

Unprofessional management, overworks their employees with no compensation let alone any recognition. Employer does not care about their employees. Dismissive of any feedback or concerns. If you confront management about a concern they will stop scheduling you to work.

Pros

Flexibility with schedule

Cons

Poor management

review

manager didn't really listen to what i asked for with hours and time off. they gave me way more hours than i asked for and i'm a student. the abuse from older customers was horrible here and i didn't feel like anyone had my back except a few coworkers.

Pros

free food

Jobs at COBS Bread

See more jobs

Favoritism used in hiring and advancement

Doesn't matter how hard you work or how much you know there's no chance of moving beyond a basic worker here. You'll receive very little help and be expected to know where everything goes and how it all works.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Alot like highschool

Fun with good coworkers

Management was terrible.Didn’t care if you were sick because it was usually understaffed.Didn’t care if you were sick during COVID unless you brought it up with HR.The coworkers there only made the job worth awhile.

Pros

Free food, relaxing at night

Cons

Understaffed, bad management, weekly or monthly quizzes

One of the best Owner/ Manager

I am presently working at Cobs Bread Steeplehill. Although the work is very fast-paced , especially on holidays, my boss / owner of the franchise makes it fun to work there. We have a great team and it makes it easy to get up in the middle of the night to go to work. Would definately recommend this location to anyone interested in working in a bakery, no matter which position is chosen.

Pros

Great working environment

Cons

Can be long hours on holidays

Awful place to work.

The owners/managers treat people horribly; It is not a good environment to work in. You will be treated like a doormat by management, and expected to take it with a smile. Head office of COBS does nothing to protect the employees from workplace abuse, it’s deplorable. I’ve witnessed some legally questionable things done by the owner of the location I was at, I’d recommend staying clear of the downtown location.

Pros

Free bread and treats

Cons

Rude boss who treats people terribly

Extremely fast pace and yummy perks

Its a great place to work if you have no social life outside of work, have no physical or mental health issues, and have tons of energy to keep up. There are really high expectations compared to the wage paid. Training is not paid unless you specifically ask. A year of working with no shift breaks (it interferes with productivity levels); they have just now implemented that bakers can take breaks. Only closed twice a year, and even then you can't book holidays off because that's the busiest time. Tell all the coworkers your private business, complain you're an inconvenience when you call in sick. Extremely understaffed so calling in sick for mental health and physical health is a MAJOR INCONVENIENCE for them (thus they treat you like a number).

Pros

Offers food dollar limit to take home, awesome co-workers, they like dogs

It's ok

Job was fast-paced, you work with different people and interact with different customers (good and bad). Ok management but It feels toxic (owners tend to yells at employee if things don't go their way.

Pros

Meet new people, free bread, nice co-workers

Cons

Hard labour, toxic environment, not so nice owners

Amazing place to work

As a Part-Time student, I absolutely loved working at Cobs. Extremely flexible hours and very friendly staff. They do an excellent job with work-life balance and is a very fun place to work.

Pros

Very Flexible hours, extremely friendly environment

Nice place to work for a hard worker

Working here is definitely not what I expected. I honestly expected another job like a fast food restaurant where you work and the management takes advantage of their team and doesn’t appreciate their workers. But this is the complete opposite experience. I’ve had a few jobs since I was 16 and I always found myself toward the back of the group or just kind of always behind the flow. I didn’t know how much I could actually succeed and how much of great worker I actually am until Cobs. at my location my boss is the greatest boss I have ever had. My boss not only taught me along the way of her great team many different skills but she also taught me how important and appreciated I am. I feel so lucky and confident to be apart of her team to make this location a great success. The bakers and the sales staff are there to help you when and support you when ever needed. I cannot express how much I like working here, it has definitely shaped me to be a stronger person.

Pros

Builds you up, feel appreciated, good hours, works around your schedule, free treats, working with a great team of people.

Cons

Christmas is scary. Hot cross buns are the death of me.

Productive workplace with some free baked goods after your shift

The overall workplace is really nice, coworkers are amazing and you work as a team with most people. The costumers on the other hand are the worst people you will ever deal with in your life. 60 % of customers are selfish lazy and act entitled, they treat you like garbage, I have been verbally assaulted and harassed at work many times and always had to take the customers side even tho it shouldn't work like that. If you want to work as a sales associate at Cobs get a good THERAPIST or just save your mental health and don't work there. The intelligence of half of the customers there really amazes me and the way they try to cheat the system by complaining that the bread was sliced wrong or there was one small hole in the bread and they had to throw it away is disgusting because there are homeless people out there who are starving and cobs customers would throw away bread that was sliced " wrong " it's absolutely disgusting how half of Cobs customers act and are. The only positive thing from this job would be some of the baked goods you could bring home after your shift and coworkers.

Pros

free baked goods at the end of the shift

Cons

Custumers

I learned a lot

They are very tough on you for your speed and accuracy, the work friends I made are awesome. There is not a lot of room for flexibility. I recommend if you like baking, no so much if you're still learning.

Pros

Fun people and free food/ bread basically

Cons

Hardly any flexibility with shifts, you must be physically strong to work there

Enjoyable place to work

I have only been here 8 months and I love it! The owner is a great people person. I had left a huge company after over 35 years of working many positions, until I finally said to myself enough was enough. I needed to enjoy going to work again, loving the job, not being stressed all of the time and loving the people you work for. It was a scary step to take after so many years not knowing if this job existed let alone finding a job. But I did. This Cobs location has given me everything I wanted in this stage of my life, non stressful environment, close to home, a Mon-Fri work week, steady hours and excellent staff and an excellent boss! They pay is not close to what I was making in my last job, but it’s descent enough.

Pros

Excellent staff and boss, fun place to work, not stressful

Cons

Benefit coverage could be better, more money would be nice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COBS Bread. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement