COBS Bread Employee Reviews

Great franchise, horrible head office management
Area and Region Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2018
Successful, profitable company and franchises.

Only starting to develop local management team, and is way behind on culture/work-life balance.

Pay is decent only at the area management level.
Pros
Pay decent, free food
Cons
Always on call, horrible lack of direction from the top (RM)
Great work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Shawnessy, AB5 June 2018
I have been at COBS now for almost three months and I have to say that for the first time ever I have no problem working with anyone in this environment. Everyone is supportive and give constructive critiscim to help everyone improve.
Pros
Great work enviroment
productive and fun work place
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 June 2018
The time i spent there was filled with lots of learning experience, great staff and opportunities for advancement. I had a blast working there and left because i was relocating.
Great work for students.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 May 2018
This is a great part-time job or full-time job for students that are seeking supplementary income. Jobs are very easy to learn and memorize. Serve customers, help customers, clean and sanitize the bakery, prepare flours for bakers.
Pros
Free lunches and free bread.
Cons
Long hours that are underpaid.
Nice workplace
Cashier services (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 May 2018
My first job in Canada. Good place and great co-workers who taught me how things work there. Such a nice place where I could have my first experience in Canada.
Pros
Free bread
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 April 2018
Inclusive environment with good management. Flexible hours. Good customer service experience for hospitality sector. Extremely busy during holiday hours, expect to work on all holidays except Christmas day and new years day.
Fun, but lots of tension between workers
Sales/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2018
Fighting between staff made the job difficult and the hours aren't great, but free food during shifts is a bonus and the majority of cashiers get along.
Productive and fun place to work
STORE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON4 April 2018
Excellent place to work! Management and co-workers are very friendly and the overall atmosphere of the store is very welcoming. I would definitely recommend people to apply here.
Pros
Amazing management, flexible hours, the store has a good relationship with the community
Cons
Can be stressful during busy times
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC3 April 2018
Everyone is friendly and the boss is so understanding. I have learnt the ability to converse with customers and provide excellent customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job is smelling the fresh baked goods.
Pros
Free bread at the end of the day
Cons
be prepared to work hard
baker (Former Employee) –  BC9 March 2018
This is a great place to get your foot in the door if you're looking to become a baker and don't want to go to school. you learn a lot about scratch baking here.
Pros
get to take something for free home everyday
Cons
pay isn't good for how hard you work
typical
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 March 2018
typical place to work, my locations manager was never fully there. relying on team leaders to take over in his absence. i was hired then the manager left for a month long vacation and my training was left to the team leaders, who werent pleased about it and made no efforts to hide that displeasure
Pros
free food up to $10
Cons
bad management
Some of the worst years of my life
Sales, Bake, Team Lead, (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 February 2018
In sales you are undervalued. In bake you are overworked. You're always underpaid, especially for working overnights starting as early as midnight. I had to work while sick and fevered. Compassion is low, and manipulation is high.
Turnover is high because training is insufficient and bad, and the pressure is too much for new bakers. Turnover of sales staff is high because they hire young, and undervalue them.
The culture of the management and higher-ups in the region seems a lot like high school.

I don't know enough about the actual executives to say much, but they seem nice enough, they always treated me well.
Pros
Free Bread
Cons
Everything Else
They like high employee turnover.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2018
Was promised benefits after 3months of employment and fulltime as well as a pay increase. When that 3 month period came, neither came. Found out from another employee she worked there since the opening of the store she's still making minimum wage. No chance of wage increase here. I would avoid at all costs.
Pros
Free product 10$, 6-2 shift is nice.
Cons
Slaving for minimum wage, no chance for higher wages even when they said. (get everything in writing.)
A good corporate structure is undermined by a Franchise system which allows for poor management of employee resources.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langford, BC2 February 2018
It's a fun place to work, but as its a Franchise structure, ensure you'll get along with the management style before committing.

Be warned that you'll be slotted in wherever convinenent, don't expect a bedrock schedule.

Also dont give away samples theyll fire you.
Pros
10 dollars worth of bread per shifr
Cons
Random Hours
Not many hours
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB2 February 2018
Its one of the better places i have worked. Its not too stressful but not too slow. The only problem i have with it is i asked for full time and was told i would get 20-30 hours a week but the most I've gotten is 20.5 hours. It's just a little frustrating. But i love my coworkers. All of them are lovely.
Pros
free product at the end of your shift
Cons
short shifts
Fun workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC7 January 2018
I enjoyed working with a lot of my coworkers and we all had a lot of fun. However, a lot of the customers were very rude and treated us very poorly. I even once got called a bad employee because I couldn't slice their hot bread. The manager was always very stressed and told us to do multiple things at once and would get upset if we aren't doing all of them at the same time even though we are only capable of doing one thing at a time.
Pros
Free bread at the end of shift
Cons
Bad management and difficult customers
Tons of fun, but hard work.
Senior Baker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2017
Your social life will suffer, your weekends will disappear, you'll only see sunlight when you're trying to sleep.

But if you love baking, it's a blast.
Fun work enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 November 2017
Cobs makes delicious products. the environment is fun and outgoing atmosphere. The delicious home baked bread aromas is enough of a reason to work here.
productive and fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 October 2017
very accommodating working area, the franchisee is so kind. the people whom i working with is very friendly. the atmosphere is pleasant and you can meet a lot of new friends
Great Bread
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 October 2017
Working at COBS had some perks like the free daily bread allowance, but senior management and training process really needs work. Hard to fully train people when not enough staff can be on shift especially when people are sick.
Pros
Free Bread
Cons
Training, lack of sufficient staff