COBS Bread Employee Reviews

The owners don’t know how to run a business
Sales (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 February 2019
Pro_young goodhearted hardworking coworkers,
free bread
Con_no strong establishment or set rules,
no idea how to manage employees,
owners causing issues with employees,
no promises that get kept,
owners only care about the money in their pocket,
verbal threatenings and abuses,
and other small big issues caused from their lack of management skills
Pros
10 dollar worth product
Cons
Terraible business owners
Horrible place to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2019
Pay was low
Bad vibes in the office
Everyone seems miserable
Management was not very good
Their HR does not help the employees only the management
Do not work here their turn over rate is high
Pros
Free lunches
Fun, Stress free, Low Salary
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Bayview, ON31 January 2019
Excellent job for young people. When the day is done, you don't have to think about your job.

Staff team should be young and fun, free bread is a perk.

Downside is simple, eventually we all need a higher paycheque,.
Negative experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC31 January 2019
Bathroom and coat hanging area are the same place (your coat basically gets toilet air and bathroom particles on it all day)

Encouraged to not give best bread discount (every x amount of loaves purchased you get a free loaf. I was told to try and give the cheaper one free, when that is not in the best interest of the customer.)

Encouraged not to change tissue for different orders. (Saw some employees use a tissue for one order, put it on the counter and then use the same one for another order)

One girl had fake nails and would rearrange the bread with her nails instead of using a parchment tissue to do so. Very unhygienic.
Pros
Kind of peaceful just packing up boxes of sweets.
Cons
Not great training or good customer service attitude
Enjoyable but Exhausting
BAKERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON29 January 2019
The job and culture are fantastic, but expect to be tired as a manager. As you are trained to do any job in the bakery, if you lose a baker you will be working overnight. On the plus side, if you work necessary overtime you do get time in lieu. Franchisees and corporate stores do their best to support one another, but it is a bit disjointed in terms of a business system.
Excellent training programs when followed correctly. Wonderful product.
Pros
Free product, benefits for managers
Cons
Long hours, lots of turn over
Terrible for a starting job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  50 Crowfoot Crescent NW #107, Calgary28 January 2019
My first job was at Cob's and I made plenty of beginner's mistakes, ultimately costing me shifts and my position. I only get holiday shifts, so days are busy, I learned that Cob's needs someone to "fit" in well; if you don't fit, then you lose your shifts. My coworkers were great people, but by far the hardest part of the job is the expected perfection of new people starting out. If you have work experience, you'll be fine, but if you're a new worker trying to get your first job, look elsewhere.
Pros
free bread
Cons
no shifts
fun work environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC24 January 2019
Overall good work environment. a small close knit team of employees. Fast paced work environment, very good product knowledge training, non intimidating work environment, Benefit package available to full time employees.Occasional staff incentive competitions. Friendly customers.Donates all left over product at end of the night to charity and starts fresh every morning.
Pros
$10 worth of free bread every shift
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC17 January 2019
I have been working at the new Oxford Market Cobs since last April and really enjoy my time there. The atmosphere is bright and cheery, fellow co-workers friendly and respectful. The owners are great.
I am a very outgoing person and enjoy interacting with customers.
Through Breaducate, I have become very informed about the various products so that I can work that information into daily conversations and recommendations to customers
There is always something to be done and the day passes by easily.
I am only working 16 hours per week and would very much like to work close to 30 hours per week. If there is a way I could work for both bakeries, I would be thrilled. .
I think very highly of the organization and am exploring of options of staying with the company but providing myself with a more sustainable living .
Pros
Great workplace culture
Cons
insufficient hours
Terrible management
N/A (Former Employee) –  5225 Ellerslie10 December 2018
This job is great if you want to make minimum wage while having to clean mouldy dishes and disgusting staff bathrooms and burn your hands cleaning the ovens
Fun place to work!
Sales/Baker (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 December 2018
Excellent training on line! Comfortable uniforms.
Incentives if you win competitions selling promotional products. They always have tastings!
Great people and fun environment!
Pros
$10 worth of free yummy products to take home every working shift
Cons
Long standing hours, wear good shoes!
A great place to be!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Alberta1 December 2018
Being a Cobs employee is a great experience. My co-workers are friendly, supportive, and genuine people, who feel more like friends than just colleagues. The owners and management at my location are also very good people, and care a great deal about their staff and customers. You’re always developing skills here, even smaller ones; like how to clean and organize more efficiently, how to approach certain kinds of customers in the right ways, trying new things like baking pastries or doing more administrative things.
I also appreciate the fact that Cobs gives back to the communities they’re in, and looks out for the people that work with them.
All around, it’s a pleasure to be a part of Cobs Bread.
Pros
Amazing work environment, friendly atmosphere, great management and team.
Cons
Sometimes it can be slow, but still productive.
Clean and healthy environment
Team Member, Front Counter (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 November 2018
Most days were filled with the same tasks and duties, but every day there was a new experience. I learned a lot about customer support and communication within the team. Every work place has its struggles and its moments, but it really felt like a family there. The management was alright, though sometimes taxing on others and could be hard to deal with, but they were still apart of us. The hardest part about the job was the drama in the workplace or maybe the customers some days, but the job itself was really great and challenging in positive ways.
Pros
10 dollars of product every shift free
Cons
the drama
Amazing staff with delicious products
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 November 2018
good environment, however, the boss does not give enough hours to part-time employees, otherwise working there is very enjoyable. Staff is all very helpful and kind and with constant new employees, it is a great way to network.
Pros
$10 worth of free products
Cons
Not enough scheduled hours
Productive and fun work place
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 October 2018
Great management, great employees, fun work environment. get to help customers and sometimes assist with the baking (like scones and croissants) great place to work.
Pros
Discounts on the food
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
good working enviroment
Part-time Employee (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 October 2018
worked there for 2 years and always been a pleasure to work there. Excellent teamwork and great leadership. Very open minded workplace. its a hardwork job but its fun to work there
good job for students
Baker's Helper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 October 2018
This is a good job for a student if you need to make extra money. You can expect to start and finish early if you work here. It's a great place to learn the beginnings of the baking trade too.
Employees are tools.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON17 October 2018
Poor management, dictatorial.
Lead baker lacks basic enlish skills, broken communication.
No advancement.
Broken equipment but functional and tolerable.
...
Easy, frustrating
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK7 October 2018
The work itself was very easy. Management and scheduling is frustrating as everything tends to be very last minute. Once you get past that it's a very enjoyable place to work.
Meh.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2018
dependant on customers. if it isn't busy, you wont have a good time. management is unprofessional. shifts are at inconvenient times, but hours are flexible if you are in school.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Boring
Good workplace, friendly environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2018
while the support staff (which i was a part of) was great at cobs bread the upper management staff left something to be desired. Short notice schedule changes as well as lack of ability to grow in the company were some of my biggest issues. As well as discussion of private information (ie firing of current employees) among the management and sales staff was not uncommon, and in my opinion entirely inappropriate! I had good friends in my sales staff team but the upper management were not kind or ethical which eventually forced me to resign.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COBS Bread. Our community is ready to answer.