Coast Mountain Bus Company

Coast Mountain Bus Company Employee Reviews

Working for CMBC

I found the work place to be good but the company didn’t stand behind their operators when the public accused them wrongly. Also they really need air conditioning in every bus and now not when the new buses come in only

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Not enough places for bathroom breaks

Great employer, great pay and great benefits.

Overall experiences with the company was great. Never had any problems with staff or coworkers. Pay was great. Benefits needed to be reviewed slightly to accommandate new prescriptions.

Pros

Vacations and consecutive days off.

Cons

shift work to start but it gets better with the years.

Able to arrange shifts to suit your daily routine

Large variety of routes and areas to choose from, either on a daily or quarterly basis. You also have the right to exercise your seniority on a daily or quarterly basis which allows you to move to different geological areas of the lower mainland knowing you won’t be locked in forever, just as long as you want. You also have the right to move between shuttles and conventionals

Pros

OT if Wanted

Cons

You have to put in for it or not

Horrible company to work for

For years drivers have explained to the employer that they need breaks in order to do their job well. Still breaks are difficult to come by. There is little support from the company and management towards operators and much criticism. It is very difficult to balance home life with work life and there are high rates of divorce in this profession. Being an operator also puts operators at much higher risk of experiencing other mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, and PTSD which are all caused by the profession. Not a job to be done for long term if at all. Again, horrible company.

Pros

Decent pay without needing further education

Cons

Long hours, stressful job, lack of support, bad for overall health

Fellow workers and staffs are awesome

Many fellow workers becomes good friends after work hours. Great place to work and for a good company. Unfortunately, due to micromanagement from many supervisors and managers, the rating can't get as high as it really is.

Pros

Great benefit and pension

Cons

Shift works and days could be stretched out to 16 hours.

Work is what you make of it.

I drove tour buses in the private sector for a few years before applying to CMBC. Lengthy application process when I put in my application to when I was hired it was approximately one year.Training is provided by the company, and they will issue you a class 2 license. Once you pass training, you’ll be on your own.The advantages to being an operator are you choose the work (based on seniority) that coincides with your life. For example my partner worked early mornings, so I was able to choose night shifts or afternoons to avoid childcare expenses. Wide variety of locations and shift times. I treated the operations supervisor’s office like the principal’s office in high school and avoided it as much as possible. Management can be hostile towards employees, and a seemingly minor incident can turn into a full blown investigation which could result in termination. There is no such thing as a casual conversation with managers. Union representatives were for the most part passionate and knowledgeable.I drove a conventional bus for 3 years, then became an acting supervisor. After 5 years of service I became a full time supervisor. There’s plenty of room for advancement. Pension is excellent, and vacation time and benefits are decent. I plan to retire here.

Pros

Unionized work place, great pension, ability to choose your shifts based on seniority, vacation time and fitness centres

Cons

Stressful, unsympathetic management, needless investigations, hostility between the union and the employer.

Best people I have ever worked with!

The negative: While the salary appears good on paper, after deductions it is still incredibly difficult to survive on a single income. The positive: HR really knows what they are doing as I’ve never worked with a better group of people in my life!!

Pros

Great I’ve never worked with a better group of people in my life!!

Cons

I’m still poor after all the deductions

Stressful Training /Easy Work

They will spend quite a bit of money to train you. The training program is absolutely amazing! However, once you start working for the company, you are on probation and they look for any tiny excuse to fire you! It doesn't matter if they let you go, there are more graduates to fill your spot! And because you are on probation, they can let you go at anytime, for anything they want. And the Union, doesn't help you.

Pros

Excellent Training

Cons

Bad management and supervisors who hate the employees

variable

Depending on your age and experience in the employment world, this job will explore what happens in the real world. Pension is great but only if you collect and make sure you retire before 60.

It's what you make it...

I LOVE the split-shifts! As a newer employee I get these. I live by a skytrain station so my typical day involves early morning starts and then return home for a 3 hour respite to play with my dog, go for a nice walk, have lunch or whatever, then return to work to complete a quick 2 hour shift....I'm done by around 3pm. Schedules - you can choose evenings, afternoons or early mornings. The work is pretty predictable - maybe too routine. I have a professional background and switched careers in order to escape unrelenting toxic stress, so my perspective is very different. Somebody said it was STRESSFUL but I doubt they've had a career that involved real stress. This job is what you make it - it's just you and of course the passengers. If anything negative could be said it would be to say its simply not a challenging job however there are many opportunities for advancements throughout the enterprise. There's no performance reviews, I haven't spoken with a supervisor for many months, and it truly feels like I'm on my own running my own business. The only thing I miss from my previous career that I lack here is camaraderie. You are truly on your own. My regular passengers are fantastic - we communicate well with each other. I've received 5 commendations from my passengers - that is pretty much it for the reviews you'd get. If you're a negative type personality then you'll get complaints from the passengers - no different than working at any business.

Pros

Great pensions

Cons

Routine

Jobs at Coast Mountain Bus Company

See more jobs

Professional job, company and team

They care about everything, they want your honesty, they care about their employee. special job, the special company needs a special employee.Be honest, be expert, be happy

Stressful atmosphere that is hard on family and social life

-Long split shifts take time from family and friends. Makes it feel like you’re working 11-13 hours for 8 hours pay. 10 years before this starts to change. -Overcrowding leads to angry customers who take it out on you day in and day out, hour after hour. -Feels like management is against you and not working with you. Harrasment and intimidation from them is not uncommon. -Nova Bus heating system exhausts out the bottom rear of the bus. These fumes are breathed in every morning as the buses are pre-tripped gassing the driver in the bus behind and beside you. Throughout the day these fumes also enter the bus through open doors and windows leaving both the passengers and driver at risk. -There are some really great and interesting people enduring these conditions and I made some great friendships over the years. I wish them all well and hope things improve but after working there for more than a decade I don’t see it unless the union starts to address these issues with more wherewithal.

Hi stress, very tight schedules. No break time

The scheduling of the buses is near impossible to maintain. There is no time for lunch or coffee. The benefits are great especially if raising a family as is the wages.

Great Place to work. Lots of room for advancement. Provide you with the tools necessary to succeed in the workplace. Lots of training to keep you up to date

Be a student again

The training feels like going back to school again, lots of study to do! Prepare to spend 2 hours everyday on course review and study. Overall is very good training experience.

Gym Access

Each transit center has a small gym available to all employees. Particularly, the Vancouver depot gym is accessible 24 hours a day. This is perfect for before, during, or after shifts and helps employees de-stress.

Very good company

Overall a good company to work for. Good wages and benefits. Full time of part time hours. Good pension plan and many different job positions within the company one can apply for. Good people to work with.

Transit system in Lower Mainland

Very large integrated transit system with buses, light rapid transit, ferry. Large service area, modern vehicles and equipment. Excellent training staff. Competitive wages and benefits.

Very poor communication between drivers and management

The head of Human Resources was a lawyer so all issues ended up in court. The Union was totally overwhelmed by drivers complaints. No help for drivers suffering from ptsd. I was put on attendance management program while I was on a Workers Compensation claim.The company is run by contracted workers so they would be out of work if they did anything to help drivers cope! Altogether a difficult company to work for.

You stand alone

Sure it's a good job but you have to work hard to keep it a good job. No support from management when you are abused by passengers and forget about defending yourself causerious that is not acceptable. You are definitely a number not a person. Very stressful.

Pros

Good money

Cons

No support

Choose your own hours and days off,

Enjoyed going to work for 28 years every day,rush hour could be a bit stressful but that was over in two or three hours.Drivers got along well and there was a full gym to work out in before or after work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coast Mountain Bus Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement