Coast Mental Health

Coast Mental Health Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews

managementworkcoworkersgreatclientworkingpeoplejob

Poor management

A lot of favouritism. Upper management is not very friendly. Director is very rude. If you just dress cute and keep your mouth shut you will be fine. If you are raw and passionate you will not be met with kindness.Some people are qualified in paper and get the job, then sit and do not support the team.

Pros

Some** amazing coworkers, amazing clients, great pay

Cons

Distracted coworkers, poor upper management

Productive and fun place to work

This is a great place to work at if you want to become a Mental Health Care Receptionist and/or a Student Volunteer and Student Mentor and Mental Health Community Advocates and an/a Ambassador for the Mental Health Rehabilitation and Recovery Services here at the Coast Mental Health Clubhouse building.

Pros

Free Lunches for only $2 and on birthdays too.

Cons

Having to work long hours.

Insights into Coast Mental Health

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things

Good people, good work, but can feel unsafe at times

I consider CMH to be a good employer, with a healthy and enjoyable work culture, work/life balance and good people, and daytime shifts were mostly fairly relaxed and enjoyable. For overnight shifts, maybe it’s dependent on the location you work but I know I only ever worked alone overnights in residences with a large amount of clients and no building security or other staff present between 10pm-6/7am. It felt unsafe at times and would have felt more comfortable particularly as a woman having another person somewhere in the building, even if just security. I’m not sure if this has changed since and if security is now required but this was my experience back then.

Pros

Liveable wage, friendly fellow staff, great management, thorough training

Cons

Working alone overnights, no security present

Do not work here

Some of the worst management I have ever seen. Unhealthy working environment with leaders that are not qualified for their positions. If you are considering working here, I strongly recommend you look elsewhere.

Cons

Poor management, gossip

Toxic Work Environment

Managers don’t care about you unless you are are willing to gossip or overwork yourself or both. The clients and most coworkers are good. But if clients notice that management don’t like you the clients can become difficult/ aggressive and management will brush it off or not even acknowledge it. If you witness/ experience a traumatic incident, get ready to advocate for yourself because the managers will literally avoid you. It’s not the type of organization you work for past 1 year willingly.

Pros

Benefits, Unionized

Cons

Toxic work culture, high turnover, careless management, and boarder line exploitation of staff

Great learning opportunity

This is a great learning experience for those who want to learn to practice their boundaries. Learn to say no to you manager because you will be asked to do anything from progress noting an incident you weren’t involved in, to driving a client regardless if you have insurance for it. Paperwork is their only concern. Get use to making client plans for handing out a bandaid. And avoid if you’re pregnant or planning to get pregnant cause the likelihood of you getting intoxicated cause a client is smoking in your face/space is HIGH!!

Pros

Great benefits, great coworkers, great casuals

Cons

Uncooperative management, delegated tasks, micromanaging, unsafe work environment, frequent second hand intoxication

Toxic Workplace and Management that doesn't care

Worked here for close to a year. Was horribly bullied and harassed by a supervisor and nothingness done. Management blames the staff. When staff complain about unsafe conditions due to violent clients we are told to get used to it.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Management, working conditions, angememt

Good place

Great management and coworkers tough work to do but rewarding pension benefits sick days don’t need a lot of education good stating wages learn in the job

Pros

Learning

Cons

Lots of policies

bad management, very bad!

management is rude and unreasonable. They are not only show zero compassion when we deal with deaths and overdoses daily. but very mean to their employee, have been in this field many years and this is the worst place for mental health workers to deal with , its a nightmare!

Experience was negative

Unfortunately management is rude and unreasonable. They show zero compassion when we deal with deaths and overdoses daily. No support is offered and expectations change daily

Pros

Unionized

Cons

Zero compassion

Dont care about employees....work somewhere else

Worked at various sites. Coworkers and clients great. Nobody in management at any level seems to care about their employees. Horrible culture. Worst agency I have worked for in entire career. Pays above average so I stay

Pros

Salary, coworkers, clients

Cons

Management of all levels does not care about employees.

Good job and people bad management

Loved the clients and the job itself and tasks that are to be completed with and for the clients. The manager of the building that I work at is very rude and unprofessional.

Rewarding, fun, meaningful role

serving meals, interacting with clients who are struggling with various barriers, low barrier, harm reduction provided at coast helps lower the risks of deaths and the stigma that comes along with everything else, employees at various sites are given the chance to run programs that let them use their unique, individual skills. management at Coast Mental Health is supportive, understanding, and provides opportunities for growth. every job has their stressful moments, but working for Coast you have the support of your team and the background knowledge to overcome the stressors of the day/ situation. in my opinion, the most exciting part of the job would be the various connections, knowledge and experience you

Don't work here

Company is not supportive of staff .Pushes their agenda on people they supposedly help, without regard to their wants. Management criticize and talks to you in a very belittling,demeaning manner. Very unsafe situations.

working as a casual

working for coast is rewarding and I am really happy to work as a casual ,as I am able to pick up a shift I want. I also have a plan to apply for part time position for day shift sometimes in the new year.

I was a Volunteer here witih the CVS with Social Service's so the cash

Could have been more than an extra $100 tacked onto miy payment from them. But they' re a good place to join. To join you have to be interviewed and asked question's like where you live, emergenciy contact intoformation, things like this. Lunch is $2, breakfast is $1. Meal cards are available here to.

Friendly staff and management

Friendly staff and management at all coast mental health sites... I've been working for most of the facilities and never had a problem with co-workers and management.

what

some of the staff need assistance, they have serious problems, especially management left after being on sick leave, what started out as a pleasant place became toxic and made me sick

Higher turnover as organization grows quickly. Community Board driven direction.

Primarily a housing provider for clients with mental health and addictions. Runs two clubhouse drop in centres in Vancouver. Branching out into the suburbs. Administration office is not big enough to hold all employees. More positions are casual/ contract now.

Pros

Nice co-workers

Cons

Flat organization

productive work, good ethnic skills

Work is fun, i really enjoy it, I learn a bright new tip each day. and the management is great, its very supportive and the days at work are very great

Pros

Fun, and a great way to meet people

Cons

sometimes not enough work

Alright

Job Culture is nice, higher paying than most non profit organizations, good sense of fulfillment in your job duties. The job becomes tedious and management are horrible, but co-workers are great.

Pros

higher pay than most, lots of work, benefits are provided by company

Cons

management dont care about their staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Coast Mental Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement