Coach Canada Employee Reviews

It's a job that pays near minimum wage.
Ticket Agent/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON12 April 2019
A typical day at work:
Selling tickets for Megabus, Greyhound, Go Transit.
Giving direction to tourists and customers

What you learned:
The bus industry in detail and how it best serves its customers.

Management:
Must be on a tight budget
Under-staffed for most of the year

Workplace culture:
Depends who are your co-workers

The hardest part of the job:
Work/life balance
Inconsistent scheduling
Vacation Blackouts
No future or career advancements
Benefits to few qualified employees
Some customers can give you a hard time

The most enjoyable part of the job:
The job itself isn't too stressful
Easy going during low-season
Terrible management and environment
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 March 2019
It is very obvious that the management behave the way they do because they get away with it. After negative staff surveys, staff complaints, and the highest turnover I've ever seen nothing changes at this place. Management from sales and dispatch yell at sales staff and say wildly inappropriate insults to staff while the VP's and HR staff just sit in their offices and do nothing. But that would also be because the HR Director and the VP of sales who treats all of her staff terribly are sisters. The moral in the sales department is beyond miserable. There are 3 senior staff members in this department who do none of the work and make double the wages. Not a real motivating factor for everyone else. Might explain the huge amount of sick days used.
Young new driver
Coach Operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 February 2019
Welcome gentlemen and ladies. I feel comfortable in saying just over a few months that this is a great option for new or experienced drivers. I was upgraded from a DZ to a BZ license.
Pros
Rates
Cons
Management & Training is HORRIBLE!
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON23 October 2018
I learned quickly why Peterborough's Coach Canada turn over rate was so high. Management promise you the world during the interview and hiring process. The first two weeks you spend your day practising quotes. You never really get hands on training or have someone sit with you once on the phones. Every time you need help or assistance you have to search for your supervisor/manager because they never seem to be at their desks. Or if they are they are very quick to tell you how busy they are. Or simply roll their eyes at you. I didn't feel very supported in this role, and would not recommend working for them.
Pros
Not bad pay for Peterborough
Cons
Horrible management
Very high demand work levels not enough skilled staff
Fleet Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2017
Very busy days trying to meet line run and charter demands,
Staying with in company guideline for PM's and all other inspections.

Company does provide general courses on different equipment types Prevost/ MCI ie.
A/C, Whims, First aid etc.

Work place culture Over worked under staffed but most employee's are dedicated to there job and are hard workers.

Hardest part of the day is completing daily work on time along with
finding your own parts and completing computer work?

Finishing your day and knowing you made a difference in completing
Daily work and have moved a lot of people to there destinations.
Pros
Afternoon and midnight shift have paid lunches
Cons
High demand very busy small shop
we had shower in change room
Driver/Bus Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2014
Buses is ready to go on time,I learn if we don't work together everyone will be set back. management was great always take care of employee when situation came up. working with my co-work was like a family we take good care of each other. the most enjoyable part of this job we got the task done on time but we had fun doing it very friendly co-work. & working independently, the hard part was to work in the cold in the winter months learn fast to make sure dress really warm.
Pros
working independently, 4 days off between each shift 4 days on, 4 days off
Cons
working even on holiday no say
Mismanaged company with a lot of potential to become greater.
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 March 2014
Came to work, supervisor gave job assignment, completed work independently and detailed in work order. Went home.

Got my 310T License, was a struggle to do so, didn't offer apprenticeships, had to spearhead it. Didn't pick up much experience in engines and transmissions as all work outsourced. Seniority dropped to 0 when I got my license and I had to work the graveyard shift.

co workers are generally ok, a few know it alls and idiots and the occasional back stabber. immediate management is ok getting more disconnected and standoffish at each level up.

Hardest part of the job was inhaling the diesel soot and other dust. got unbearably hot in the shop during summer and freezing cold in the winter. also in the winter deep puddles would form all over shop floor, sometimes with high voltage lines in them. Busses have public toilets in them that always needed work done.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment when fixing something complicated or learning something new.
Pros
good pay and benefits, easy work
Cons
busses have toilets, dirty workspace, unorganized company, unionized, open 24/7, weekends, all holidays even Christmas.
The company is Micro Managed by it's President
Montreal GrayLin manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 November 2013
The company in Micro Managed.

They give their managers all the responsibility with no authority to manage their own departments.
Pros
quality employees
Cons
Micro managed
Overall very challenging and rewarding'
Manager/ Safety & Training (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 October 2012
Overall very rewarding, I enjoyed the challenges that came everyday.
I would go in early every morning because of a 24/7 operation there were issues that came up overnite and i found myself anxious to fix them first thing in the am as per contract to the GTAA we had a response time of 24 hours of which i assured a 8 hour time span. i always like to be ahead of the game.
The day would vary as to if we had emergency response calls to last minute bus operation request that i personally would assign and see through...there were sometimes issues with anyone from dispatchers to supervisors to drivers to equiptment issues that would need to be resolved throughout te course of the day.
I learned to treat each situation individually as there were never the same, i learned to listen well and to have understanding when necessary as well as being firm when need be. The hardest part of the job was trying to please everyone although some may be stubborn but change thier thoughts and see the logic there were some that you just cant please. Compromise seemed to work then. The most enjoyable part of the job was accomplishment....at the end of the day i could go home knowing that i covered all the issues i had for that day and sometimes got a head start for the next.
Pros
great experience in finding away through issues
Cons
difficult when you may be misguided or misunderstood
Coach Canada
School Bus Escort (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON26 July 2012
Working at Coach Canada was one of the most pleasant experiences I have ever had.
The day began at 8 when both the bus driver and myself began the run. Which consisted of picking up students from the ages of 4 to late teens.
When the person came on to the bus that I was to supervise. I found that the children all knew what was expected and followed all rules.
Management was very supportive to all the school boards needs and all employees needs. As an employee you know management is there for you.
My co workers were similar to the management friendly, supportive and just great people.
The hardest part of the job was the cost to get to work and back 4 times a day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the client I was supervising.
Pros
supportive management and co workers
Cons
cost of getting to work