CNIB

CNIB Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

Toronto, ON14 reviews
Very fast paced and long engagement cycle with donors and partners.
Directors are great to work for and cause is growing and changing with new technology.
This is a gold old white boys club!.Friends get friends jobs with no clue on how to do much. Sunshine list is horrid. This charity pays bonus to mangment. Waste of money.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
John, All mangment.
I had the opportunity to spend two summers at CNIB working as an HR Assistant. I was able to perform most of the required tasks of a full-time resource and gained invaluable experience in this field. The management allows a lot of freedom towards their staff in performing their tasks and encourages teamwork with a strong emphasis on team building.
By far the most ridiculous place I've ever worked.

You can expect to be micromanaged, lectured for using the phone to talk to your spouse, deal with backstabbing coworkers - few of which are all that good at their job, etc. Also - expect to pay for parking...only to have your parking pass revoked when they hold an event in the day and want to sell parking space to visitors.

The orientation gives a good insight into what visually impaired people live with - and that's a lesson I've taken with me...but other than that? Avoid this place.

The cafeteria was decent though.
great cause but No chance for advancement unless you are a favourite. Unfair compensation practices

Internal culture is bad.

People are overworked and underpaid.
Great people and company to volunteer for.
Great culture

Great colleagues

Enjoyable

Time well spent

Great exposure

Simple tasks- phone calls, greet people, transfer calls etc
CNIB is filled with amazing people that care about Canadians!
Working at CNIB has humbled me and made me much more appreciative for life and things we take for granted on a daily basis.
I enjoyed working with organization as many different roles. However, I was never able to get in with them full-time. Even though I had the experience, I was never offered full-time, when I applied, I heard no response. Was quite disappointed.
Pros
The people, the job, the organization
Wonderful work environment, great people. I learned so much, and was given a lot of important tasks, which made me feel like less of an intern and more as an employee.
CNIB is a not-for-profit company, but they try to keep come up with the newest technologies. Just recently CNIB has moved to Office 365 and has implemented SCCM. At CNIB you get a chance to work on different technologies and enhance your skills.
I work as volunteer to assist Deaf and Blind people enrolled in the program to learn basic things such as like banking, budget living necessaries and rent if they want to live on their own in a apartment.

working at the CNIB was wonderful experience to work with people. I created a projects for them to learn and taught them how to budget, and learn some idioms words.

I learn how to interact with people and learn different ways to teach. It was rewarding experience for me!

The hardest part was: get them to understand clearly but I have lot of patience with that.

I enjoy to teach them and see them to be happy and able to be independent on their own.
Pros
making friends with them
Cons
Long hours, not paid volunteer job
A typical day at work is answering phone calls to schedule clients for their high tech assessments.
I have learned a great deal about the culture of low vision and the blind.

My management team is open and empathetic to our professional and personal needs.

The hardest part of my job is when I have to explain to a client that I cannot help them.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when I am able to resolve a problem situation with a client.
I would go to the clients' home and help her to type up her memoirs. I would absorb the knowledge she passed on and enjoy the stories of her wonderfully varied experience in Theatre Acting and Direction work.
She was an invaluable help to me and I treasure the time I spent with her.
Pros
expanding my knowledge of canadian and english theatre settings.
Cons
non
Very supportive agency. It is well organized, well run and everyone supports each other regardless of department or position.
Pros
an amazing group of people to work with!!