CNIB

CNIB Employee Reviews

Canada45 reviews
Productive and creative workplace
Very fast paced and long engagement cycle with donors and partners.
Directors are great to work for and cause is growing and changing with new technology.
Fun enviroment with wonderful customers
Some days are very busy others not too busy. See lots of customers regular and non regulars. Answer questions about lottery etc. I learned more about lottery then I knew before. Management was rarely seen or heard from. They were not helpful in some aspects. The hardest part of the job was having to be open long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and getting to know them and giving them what they wanted before they asked.
Pros
The customers and employees
Cons
Very productive environment for volunteering
As a volunteer, this place is amazing. They are inclusive, and offer numerous amounts of opportunities for people who volunteer here, or want to get involved locally.
Great supervisor
This was a very unique job for me. My supervisor was super chill and very welcoming. My coworkers were very nice as well. The job can be uncomfortable as some potential clients can be rude. This job was just not for me, but depending on the person, it can be a great opportunity!
Great employer for fresh graduates
I had the opportunity to spend two summers at CNIB working as an HR Assistant. I was able to perform most of the required tasks of a full-time resource and gained invaluable experience in this field. The management allows a lot of freedom towards their staff in performing their tasks and encourages teamwork with a strong emphasis on team building.
Expect to be Belittled
Management has no clue what low visioned and blind community need they only care about the money.

They charge you for parking downtown to the point of taking a tonne off your paycheck, they do not understand what it is like to be low visioned and are highly incentive when dealing with staff that are, little lone clients. They are rude to staff and clients.

They micromanage your position not even knowing what your position is about. They hire outside the pool of employees for management instead of promoting from within and hire employees that don't qualify and don't understand their job for management.
Pros
Some team members are great to work with.
Cons
Management in general from the regional manager up
Retail
I am the only person at the Dartmouth Crossing Lottery booth. I do all the day to day tasks. Selling..balancing the books..daily deposits..the 2 week audits.

I love the job but it is 64 hours a week. No vacation or benefits.
Pros
Busy location
Cons
Very long hours
Great mission....horrible place to work
By far the most ridiculous place I've ever worked.

You can expect to be micromanaged, lectured for using the phone to talk to your spouse, deal with backstabbing coworkers - few of which are all that good at their job, etc. Also - expect to pay for parking...only to have your parking pass revoked when they hold an event in the day and want to sell parking space to visitors.

The orientation gives a good insight into what visually impaired people live with - and that's a lesson I've taken with me...but other than that? Avoid this place.

The cafeteria was decent though.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at CNIB?
Great cause, poor compensation
great cause but No chance for advancement unless you are a favourite. Unfair compensation practices

Internal culture is bad.

People are overworked and underpaid.
Fundraiser
I moved to Hamilton recently and Fundraising for the CNIB has given me the chance to explore the city while helping others!
We start the day at the office with a briefing about skills or a game to get us excited to talk with people.

I usually work with a partner, and we go door to door enjoying the gardens and sights along the way.

The culture is supportive, I know my co-workers want me to be successful in all parts of life, not just at work.
Pros
travel, super accommodating with schedule, everyday is different
Cons
max of 30 hours a week
they have product for blind people like White Cane, Watch , etc.
It was places for blind kids to learn new skills and have fun together. They painting different thing, build Logos, declarate coolies, etc. they also play different games outside just as catch ball, swimming, etc.
Pros
easy access for everyone ( kids, senior, etc)
Cons
less facility>
It is a good place
Its a small place and not a lot of room to move but its a good place to work. My boss is very nice and most of the customers are very nice. I enjoy working here very much
Great workplace
Great people and company to volunteer for.
Great culture

Great colleagues

Enjoyable

Time well spent

Great exposure

Simple tasks- phone calls, greet people, transfer calls etc
Volunteer Facilitator Position
CNIB is growing and maturing into a wonderful organization. I truly enjoy all that are a part of this great cause and would continue to keep this position as long as they w il have me.
Pros
Great people, amazing assistance and an overall neccessity to the community.
Cons
Volunteer work that is under funded.
great friendly nice people
i worked when the client needed me to order books from home.the people were nice and friendly and were able to hlep me when i needed it.it was nice learning that there are many resources for people to get there. you can have magazines,movies, newspapers.
Pros
help when needed
Cons
there only office is in edmoton
Long Hours, Busy days
It is a busy job with long hours. At times it can be stressful due to the sheer volume of customers in a day but I try to deal with each customers needs as appropriately and effectively as I can while maintaining composure. I have also met some wonderful people who have become friends that I didn't have before.
Excellent supportive director and staff.
The director, staff and community with CNIB was very supportive and respectful. They allowed me to start an art program during my work placement. They have a great community program for individuals whom are blind.
Pros
Great director, staff and interesting work.
Cons
Temporary work placement, no job security and no job guarantee.
Amazing place to work
CNIB Lotto Kiosk are great place to work because you know you're doing a good deed by helping that have Visual problems and you're doing every bit to contribute to it. I did enjoy working there for a short amount of time but yet never felt like it was a worst decision to work with CNIB in general.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
No Cons
Too many hours
I took this job and it landed up working from when Tecumseh Mall opened at 9:30am until the mall closed at 9:30pm I have three kids at home and the hours were way too long. No breaks or washroom breaks.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Way too many hours
great work environment
Because this was a field placement I provided a variety of services. My interests and needs were always taken into account and consideration for meeting my learning contract was a priority for my supervisor. She excelled at guiding me and enabling me to meet my goals and deadlines.
Excellent Non Profit Agency
Excellent Non profit agency to complete coop education with. They were professional, friendly, approachable and all around a great agency to be involved with.