Club Demonstration Services Employee Reviews

Interaction with staff and the public
retail food rep (Former Employee) –  Windsor Ont18 January 2019
Finding out which product I would be demo-ing that day, if cooking, I would get my cart, and everything I would need to make it a successful cook.
I learned about temps., handling foods.
Management was very supportive.
Different ethnic groups, appreciated different foods.
Keeping busy on slow day.
making your quota in sales.
Pros
Meeting different people everyday
Cons
standing in one spot for the whole shift.
Stay Away!!!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 January 2019
- Lack of support from management
- Unexperienced supervisor
- Expect to set up cart within 15 minutes
- Unrealistic sales target
- Only 30 hours maximum per week
- No overtime pay
- Stressed work environment
Pros
30 minutes unpaid break and 15 minutes pay break
Cons
everything
Demonstrators
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Hslifax12 January 2019
Have to stand for 6 hrs, management is very rude,arrogant and do t take responsibility for own mistakes. Never get overtime,if your working next to another Demonstrator your not allowed to speak.
Management is never satisfied, and very negative.
No room for over 30 hrs or upper positions.
Hugh staff turnover.
Most of your co workers agree and are great, you meet new friends.
We have a supervisor who is the best but bad toxic management.. all these 4 and 5 are from management or supervisors. There are some co workers that are toxic.
You have to walk from your car without your coat or lunch because Costco dont have any lockers for CDS to use. Its freezing cold and you cant even have your lunch warmed.
Pros
Pay cheque, new friends
Cons
Management, no place for personal items. Ie coay, lunch etc
fun
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2018
A typical day of work is fun
what you learn is new things every day
management was great always there for you when you needed them
work place culture was was fun
The hard part of the Job moving the heavy microwave/ oven

the most enjoyable part of the day is
1. Meeting new people
2. making new things every day
3.The Walking around the store
4.helping people find the product
Pros
everything
Cons
to long of a drive
Environnement agréable
Démonstratrice de produits alimentaires (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 October 2018
L'environnement est agréable mais pas d'évolution.
Pros
Salaire
Cons
Pas assez d'heures pour le soir
CDS Woodbridge
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON28 October 2018
great staff, great management, easy 6.5 hour days, 2 breaks, one 15 minute one 30 minute break , everyday is different selling different products, I can have the days off I need, and ask for extra shifts too, tables are easy to push, not much lifting, if you love to talk then this is the job for you, Hardest part of the job is trying not to sample too much on the breaks,,,
best part is coming to work as my manager always smiles
Pros
drinking water at tables now
Cons
6 hour shifts not 8
An okay place to work
Sales and Food Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON22 October 2018
Before the minimum wage increase, CDS was great because they paid well over minimum
Unfortunately, once the minimum wage was increased, the dislikes and nitty gritty parts of the job was no longer compensated by the mere 25 cent over minimum they offered
So many people figured they could get 35 cent less and more job perks or even just more hours and job security elsewhere.
I know of a few people who left after being there for 7+ years. Barely any of the new additions stayed on, many people who came in after I did, left just as quickly. I stayed on for about 6 months.
Standing for 6 hours a day on concrete and worse was that there was no job security
I only worked as a parttime student during the school months but because of my weekend availability I was always guaranteed 18 hours. During the school year, that's great
Come summer time I realized how much the full-time staff was suffering
No-one was ever scheduled for 5 days in a row, so barely anyone had 30-hour weeks, meaning they weren't fulltime
If someone gave in their 2-week notice, the manager would immediately cancel all their shifts for those two weeks
When new people were brought on, the rest of the team would suffer because there wouldn't be enough hours
ON top of that you could easily get cancelled when you were expecting to work, meaning there was no security about how much each paycheque would be
The people were pretty nice but there were a group of older ladies that were really close to the manager and would seemingly bad mouth everyone else
I personally had to beg around to pick up unwanted shifts
  more... or shifts for parents with family emergencies or who had to look after their kids on short notice. There were several weeks that I worked 8 days in a row - which sounds like a lot but with a maximum of 6 hours a day - some days being 5, 4 or even just 3 hours, the paycheque after all that hassle did not make it worth it at all.  less
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short hours, unreliable management, no benefits, standing on hard concrete for the entire day
handing out free samples in costco
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC1 October 2018
The nice part about the job was that clients were always happy to see us. Everybody loves a free sample right. But we had to be on our feet for the whole shift which was not easy.
Pros
competitive salary
Cons
standing for the whole shift
The management team need working
Sale advisor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB18 September 2018
I was an employee there for 4 months. I left because the management team needs work and required people skills. The manager did not know how to be a people person, she preferred getting sales instead of being a leader for her team.
Pros
salary
Cons
management
It is the most flexible workplace i have ever experienced
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
i feel excited to routinely got at workplace because of the customer that visit.
working with very kindhearted colleagues.
manager is really motivating.
Awful place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa Ontario CANADA10 September 2018
Long period of standing in one place, pushing cart back and forth every shift. Hectic customers taking a lot of free samples. My manager had poor leadership
,lack of employees social life. Boring
Pros
Fast paced at times
Cons
Short breaks, cant have a water bottle
A good environment to communicate with people
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 July 2018
It is a new journey every day. I get to learn how to manage challenging situations every single day. I learn how to communicate with people and be considerate about what they need. The most challenging thing for me to learn was how to manage time. Seriously, you need to be fast and productive at the same time. At the end of the day, seeing an smile on a kid's face is the most rewarding thing.
Productive work environment
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 July 2018
Great members.
Good work hours.
Very welcoming environment.
Really good staff.
Breaks or better than other demonstration companies that i've worked for in the past.
Learning new things
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 June 2018
CDS is different from anything I have ever done and I have enjoyed learning about the company and how it works. They praise their employees and are helpful.
Pros
Free 15 minute breaks
Excellent company
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON2 June 2018
The job is very fun demonstrating a new product every day, giving free food to members is rewarding, flexible shifts and constant hours are a plus, no benefits is a negative.
Pros
Flexible hours, fun job
Cons
Long time on feet
boring work
Product Demonstrator at Costco (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC26 May 2018
The work is very boring since you have to stand alone for 6 hours and try to talk with clients that (most of them) don't care about what you're saying; they just want to eat the food. but the salary is good. (14$/h)
must not have leg/ back problems
Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 May 2018
as you are required to stand for very long periods you must make sure you have good circulation in your legs..its hard to get managers attention however they are fair (so far)..
Horrible Management
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 April 2018
The higher management keep hiring new supervisors from outside who don’t even deserve the position. Those supervisors act as if they know everything but we can see it clearly that they don’t know a thing about food demonstrations. It gets into their heads that they’re the boss and never really listens to the employees. They tend to look for faults even in the smallest things. It’s taking a toll on the employees because the management is not united and doesn’t know what they’re doing. Each of them keep making up their own rule and we don’t know whom to follow.
They keep hiring new people too even though employees are already having a hard time getting much schedule. Always getting called-off. No guarantee of getting enough hours for the week.
Dealing with lots of rude costumers almost everyday. Costumers will act as if you owe them some food, they’re always in a hurry if you don’t serve the food yet.
Pros
Cons
Terrible Management
Good Job/Bad Management
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB4 April 2018
I love the work I did here at CDS but the management is horrendous and we didn't have a fluid schedule in quite a long time. I love the work and most of the other staff are nice too! But it's just management that is in shambles. If you want good experience and haven't had much to begin with it's a great place to start in sales or customer service. But be prepared to deal with issues. All in all I'd give it 3 stars.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Bad Management
High pressure
PT- Shift Supervisor/ sales representatives (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON2 April 2018
It’s very high pressure especially for someone who has never done this type of job before. Management is fairly understanding when mistakes are made but they do call you when they happen then go over it when you come in. More often then not you are on your own to do everything which frankly makes me a tad uncomfortable.
Road shows are aggravating to open and close, you have to come in early and stay late. Also everything needs to be packed and ready to go for the next road show.
Not certain I will end up staying here, but since my manager is going on leave I’ll do my best to stick it out.
Pros
Free food, staff is nice
Cons
Long hours, working a lone

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Club Demonstration Services. Our community is ready to answer.