CLS Catering Services Ltd. Employee Reviews

Good!
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 March 2019
There is no perfect company but if you find one that provides you growth and enough supportive and delightful people to work with it's a blessing. That is what CLS is.
Pros
great people, free meals and coffee
Cons
Old, slow or convoluted processes, fast turnover
fun place to work
packaging (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 March 2019
i had alot of fun working for this job but also it was hard to do like serving 50-80 guests at the same time and cleaning and picking the dirty dishes. The glasses had to go to different containers. There were many menus to remember. The first thing was to decorate the hall by the correct way of putting the forks and spoons, water in the middle of the tables, and then serving your guests to their tables. I got an opportunity of training my co workers many times.
Pros
free lunches
Toxic Work Enviroment
Former cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 February 2019
A typical day at work at CLS is exactly what the ex Sous described.
You will learn nothing in an environment like this. Poor management. Staff yelling and screaming at each other in the kitchen and using dirty language. No multiculturalism. Only favoring to one kind. Hardest part is working in a dirty crowded kitchen with not enough equipment for every cook. Except for a couple none of the cooks have any knowledge of food safety. A corrupted and toxic place to work in. Best time is the end of the shift. Go and see for yourself.You don't need qualifications to move up. Second cook become Sous Chef. Now you will understand what kind of people work here.
Pros
a lot of overtime if you know how to milk it
Cons
dishonest people
Stay away with this company
General cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 February 2019
When I start working here I were often bully by the 1st cook. The senior cook here work as little as they can and pass the work load to casual like us. They also have there own group of people and other then there group working under them they will try to sabotage you until you fail. Executive chef and sous chef know this matter but they just ignore it and even give you hard time if you make a complain. Stay away with this company, I rather jobless instead working here. Toxic working environment, bully and bad working environment.
Pros
Cons
Bully environment, bad working hour
Disgusting workplace
Sous chef (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2018
Dont even know where to begin. If you want corrupt management, dirty politics, and useless staff.. this is the place to be. Supervisors, chefs, management just stand around with their hands in the pockets. Not knowing what to do half the time. If you are the type of person that wants to make a positive change.. you will be the one singled out and attacked by union staff. With no support at all. They say a "multicultural" environment... but really only one kind. If you say anything.. they will attack for discrimination. Even though it's the other way around. Favoring at its finest. Never met a boss that literally does nothing. Never met management that's completely scared of the union. Dont bother wasting your time if you're taking a position above union. This place will be closed down eventually and staff that is part of this place.. will have no where to go. So much to say.... but find out for yourself.

Job ad says parking available.. but rarely will you get it.. because people milk the overtime and do nothing while soaking it up. Free lunches? Not even worth the money you pay into it. Better off eating the cockroaches swarming the place. Probably taste better. Uniform? If you're lucky, you will see it after 6 months. Advancement within the company? Well goodluck. Management stuck 20 to 30 years.. they know they would have nowhere to go if they left. And no possible way of getting above.. or you will lose your job clean and simple.

In order to get by here.. you have to be a dishonest, ignorant, backstabbing employee. No longer a catering company. More logistics, drama
  more... and desperation for staff.

Bon appetit CLS.
Pros
Sitting and collecting a paycheque.
Cons
Stated below.
horrible workplace environment
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2018
This is one of the worst workplace environments I have ever witnessed. So many people, from top to bottom in the place, are biased, disrespectful, rude and even at times racist (minority to minority). Certain people will continuously get scolded (even when they are doing the task correctly and following rules), while others will get a pass. Even some of the people up top don't adhere to the rules.
There are few people who are genuinely kind at heart, but unless you work with them the place is miserable.

The pay is way too low for such a bad job. Other than free lunches, I can't really think of a positive.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
everything else
Not a great company to work
Customer Service Representative (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2018
For survival jobs its good.
Management is bad, no responsibility, unorganized and mismanagement.
pay is very low.
Work weekend, holiday,- no pay they provide vacation (which we can't take as per our wish.)

Insurance benefit is good.
We can have variety of sweet desserts and unlimited sandwiches.
Pros
Insurance benefit is good.
Cons
No work life balance and very low pay
Workplace
Inventory Management (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 September 2018
A good place to work and earn money. Flexible timings and 24X7 operational so have an option to choose between night morning and afternoon shifts. People are supportive
Pros
Free lunch and dinner
Fun Workplace with a nice free meal.
Ware Washer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC20 August 2018
I enjoyed working for CLS for the past 3 months and meeting new people that worked there long before I was born. CLS was a awesome job: I learned from washing an airline cart in the ware wash, making the meals in the kitchen, free meals, and learning all the flight codes and procedures . Making meals in the kitchen was awesome job to do, it got a little stressful however, I got use to it. The hard part of the job was standing up for so long on one spot, and my back injury I had from a long time ago did not make things easier. The hardest part of the job was ware washing, which I didn't like, The supervisor was very abrupt with me by putting me down as I was learning the ropes. I was very upset about it. It was also very hot in ware wash with no proper air vents and ventilation system, only plug in fans to get the heat and smoke out. The work culture was so so and I respected people who are working there and keep to myself busy at my job. I also enjoyed learning new things on the job. I had to step down from the job because of the smoke from the lingering forest fires had affected my lungs badly that I could not breath It was also far for me to go to via Skytrain.
Pros
I enjoyed the free dinners there. I will miss that a lot
Cons
The place needs to be updated with air vents, and better ventilation systems.
Its ok
general cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 July 2018
It is how you want to perceive it as. Some people may hate it some may love it. It's what you make of it. Completely up to you. I had a love hate relationship with it
Challenging place to work
PRODUCTION ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON11 June 2018
The best part of working in this company is that you get free food.
The hardest part is that there are times where you have to be very quick in making decisions . I schedule employees and there are days where I am short of staff and its a challenge to find employees at the last minute.
The most enjoyable part is that you get to work with different culture of people.
Pros
Free lunches
overall good management
CASUAL PA (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 June 2018
good staff and management. if you need any kind of help they will help you right way. it was a union job and still miss it some times because the salary was good enough to survive in lower mainland
customer service
sales executive (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 April 2018
Extremely poorly managed company to work for.
Training was a very fast pace with very time to learn which is the wrong approach by the employer .Must get act together to run successfully
Pros
Cons
no time to learn
Worst company I've ever worked in!
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  richmond12 March 2018
Not a positive work environment, Part-time people are disposable and will be treated as such, disorganized, short on staff, unpaid OT, terrible schedule planning, the managers are terrible people, they have no respect for you as a person and after you make one small mistake they make it out to be a huge deal.
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 March 2018
This company is ok for stop gap or for time being can’t have a carrier in this company, as management is too adamant and close minded and not open for new ideas, don’t want to improve the work culture or operations.
Pros
Union, free Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
Cons
No growth, people with bad attitude, bad work culture
good team work , cooperating, enjoyable
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 November 2017
management is good and cooperating, always ready to help, but seniority matters a lot. usually working in team which is a great experience , opportunity to learn so many things.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
on call system, no proper shifts
Helpful staff/friendly environment
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC21 September 2017
The staff are very friendly and very accommodating. Very transparent leadership which allows for a comfortable work environment. Most enjoyable part of the job was the free lunches.
Toxic & Polluted Work Environment
LG (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON9 September 2017
CLS Catering Services Ltd.- Toronto, is one of the most poorly run and managed companies I have ever come across in my 20 year career. The management style of CLS Catering, is to bully and push, divide and conquer and carrot and stick. This style of management is not only promoted but also exercised extensively by the GM. Although, this style of management may have produced short term results in a bygone era; in today's modern workforce, it creates an extremely toxic and polluted working environment, which has completely demotivated the staff. This has led to an astronomically high turnover rate and a damaged corporate culture.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
An opportunity to learn and grow
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2017
A catering company that caters to various international airlines with different cuisine requirements helped me understand various cuisines and allowed me to get better understanding on various foods including dietary meals. A good place to learn and grow your career as there is always opportunitirs
Pros
Food for employees, good management
Cons
Standing work doing the same repetetive work for long hours
Catering Assistant
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON25 August 2017
Screaming and disrespectful culture where lead hands are more powerful than the supervisors and managers. Promotions are made on personal likes and dislikes where tale telling & nepotism is encouraged and part of life that has become part of work culture. Not a place where work quality, ethics , going above and beyond is rewarded. Place where there is blatant arrogance and misuse of seniority and power thrives..not a place to have or strive to have a career
Pros
Free food, you could even get food from the kitchen and eat in the cafeteria if you have the right connections
Cons
Screaming culture, no training, standing work