CLS Catering Services Ltd. Employee Reviews

Not a great company to work
Customer Service Representative (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2018
For survival jobs its good.
Management is bad, no responsibility, unorganized and mismanagement.
pay is very low.
Work weekend, holiday,- no pay they provide vacation (which we can't take as per our wish.)

Insurance benefit is good.
We can have variety of sweet desserts and unlimited sandwiches.
Pros
Insurance benefit is good.
Cons
No work life balance and very low pay
Fun Workplace with a nice free meal.
Ware Washer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC20 August 2018
I enjoyed working for CLS for the past 3 months and meeting new people that worked there long before I was born. CLS was a awesome job: I learned from washing an airline cart in the ware wash, making the meals in the kitchen, free meals, and learning all the flight codes and procedures . Making meals in the kitchen was awesome job to do, it got a little stressful however, I got use to it. The hard part of the job was standing up for so long on one spot, and my back injury I had from a long time ago did not make things easier. The hardest part of the job was ware washing, which I didn't like, The supervisor was very abrupt with me by putting me down as I was learning the ropes. I was very upset about it. It was also very hot in ware wash with no proper air vents and ventilation system, only plug in fans to get the heat and smoke out. The work culture was so so and I respected people who are working there and keep to myself busy at my job. I also enjoyed learning new things on the job. I had to step down from the job because of the smoke from the lingering forest fires had affected my lungs badly that I could not breath It was also far for me to go to via Skytrain.
Pros
I enjoyed the free dinners there. I will miss that a lot
Cons
The place needs to be updated with air vents, and better ventilation systems.
Its ok
general cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 July 2018
It is how you want to perceive it as. Some people may hate it some may love it. It's what you make of it. Completely up to you. I had a love hate relationship with it
Challenging place to work
PRODUCTION ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON11 June 2018
The best part of working in this company is that you get free food.
The hardest part is that there are times where you have to be very quick in making decisions . I schedule employees and there are days where I am short of staff and its a challenge to find employees at the last minute.
The most enjoyable part is that you get to work with different culture of people.
Pros
Free lunches
overall good management
CASUAL PA (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 June 2018
good staff and management. if you need any kind of help they will help you right way. it was a union job and still miss it some times because the salary was good enough to survive in lower mainland
customer service
sales executive (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 April 2018
Extremely poorly managed company to work for.
Training was a very fast pace with very time to learn which is the wrong approach by the employer .Must get act together to run successfully
Pros
Cons
no time to learn
Worst company I've ever worked in!
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  richmond12 March 2018
Not a positive work environment, Part-time people are disposable and will be treated as such, disorganized, short on staff, unpaid OT, terrible schedule planning, the managers are terrible people, they have no respect for you as a person and after you make one small mistake they make it out to be a huge deal.
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 March 2018
This company is ok for stop gap or for time being can’t have a carrier in this company, as management is too adamant and close minded and not open for new ideas, don’t want to improve the work culture or operations.
Pros
Union, free Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
Cons
No growth, people with bad attitude, bad work culture
good team work , cooperating, enjoyable
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC25 November 2017
management is good and cooperating, always ready to help, but seniority matters a lot. usually working in team which is a great experience , opportunity to learn so many things.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
on call system, no proper shifts
Helpful staff/friendly environment
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC21 September 2017
The staff are very friendly and very accommodating. Very transparent leadership which allows for a comfortable work environment. Most enjoyable part of the job was the free lunches.
Toxic & Polluted Work Environment
LG (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON9 September 2017
CLS Catering Services Ltd.- Toronto, is one of the most poorly run and managed companies I have ever come across in my 20 year career. The management style of CLS Catering, is to bully and push, divide and conquer and carrot and stick. This style of management is not only promoted but also exercised extensively by the GM. Although, this style of management may have produced short term results in a bygone era; in today's modern workforce, it creates an extremely toxic and polluted working environment, which has completely demotivated the staff. This has led to an astronomically high turnover rate and a damaged corporate culture.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
An opportunity to learn and grow
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2017
A catering company that caters to various international airlines with different cuisine requirements helped me understand various cuisines and allowed me to get better understanding on various foods including dietary meals. A good place to learn and grow your career as there is always opportunitirs
Pros
Food for employees, good management
Cons
Standing work doing the same repetetive work for long hours
Catering Assistant
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON25 August 2017
Screaming and disrespectful culture where lead hands are more powerful than the supervisors and managers. Promotions are made on personal likes and dislikes where tale telling & nepotism is encouraged and part of life that has become part of work culture. Not a place where work quality, ethics , going above and beyond is rewarded. Place where there is blatant arrogance and misuse of seniority and power thrives..not a place to have or strive to have a career
Pros
Free food, you could even get food from the kitchen and eat in the cafeteria if you have the right connections
Cons
Screaming culture, no training, standing work
Horrible management
CSR (Current Employee) –  Toronto7 August 2017
Horrible place to work, management people are very rude, serious lack of leadership skills and experience. The job what are you doing is completely different as what they said on the job posting. Unpaid over time, no life and work balance at all. The manager give his friend 6 weeks off and require other people work 4 consecutive weeks without any day off.
Pros
Free food, benefit plan
Cons
Lowest pay in this industry (30% lower than their competitor), No overtime pay or extra day off if your over time is less than 4 hours.
Productive work
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 July 2017
Overall not a bad place needs improvement in cases like cleanliness and maintaining a safe work environment however great place to meet people from all walks of life.
Pros
good food
Cons
standing for long hrs
Disappointing place to work
Storeroom (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2017
... poor management...lack of proper equipment needed to get the job done...freezers breaking down constantly.. Too many people have left the company in frustration. It should be an easy job but with a shortage of manpower and in this writer's opinion a total lack of integrity, coordination etc
Pros
Storeroom Team work well together
Cons
No co-ordination or communication
great place to work love the team.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2017
This was a fun place to work a good and supportive managers . great place to work love the team. I enjoyed myself hear, to bad I had to move away to Alberta
Poorly managed.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC29 May 2017
CLS is very poorly run with long time mangers being rude and belligerent without fear of reprisal.

The maintain poor GMP's and there is a very negative vibe that eats away at the workers cause a tremendous amount of turnover in both jr management and production workers.

Stay way as there are better places to work in that area.
Pros
shift work
Cons
Everthing else
Poor leadership. Constant negativity from long time managers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond29 May 2017
Facility is poorly run and the managers seem to be unable to treat there employees with respect.

They encourage conflict through favoritism and do not have the experience in place to successfully run the operation in a decent and acceptable manner.

Lots of changeover for jr managers and staff alike. There is a reason the have such a low star rating on Indeed.

Stay away there are nicer places to work for better money.
Pros
shift work
Cons
everything else
good company
Catering Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON5 April 2017
i enjoyed working in this company,I learned how to prepare different foods..management is good.the hardest part of the job is to carry 50lbs .......................................................................................
Pros
free lunches and snacks