Play YouTube video button
Closing the Gap Healthcare

Closing the Gap Healthcare Employee Reviews

Patience Required
Payroll Administrator/AP (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 January 2020
Unfortunately this is an organization that means well but lacks proper management and direction. I watched employees quit/move on daily during the first month and as time went on, I realized why. Long standing employees are taken for granted, complaints and suggestions are ignored and management makes requests that even they don't know the procedure for without concrete training.
Not a place I’d recommend for anyone, clients do not get taken care of
PSW/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 December 2019
Worked there for two years, last year I ended up quitting due the extreme lack of communication and NO support in a major incident. I’m still from this day traumatized about a fall that happen that my supervisor never got back to me. I also had a problem with a client son and they told me to suck it up especially after I had major PTSD do to a recent event. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH AND LOVE TO OVER WORK YOU.They didn’t care and told me to suck it up and go back to work They will always blame the PSWs for anything that has happen in the clients home no matter what. Also thank god for no more sick days as the management there was with holding my sick pay that was allowed in 2018. It ended with me going to the labor board. Definitely think this company needs to be looked into. Clients should get the care they neeed!!!
its not recommended
PTA (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2019
it's mostly discrimination, alots of differently between people there alots of work and expences and not enough pay . management is poor I seen more than 5 manager in a year owners are always away and if you have problem and elevate to them the management will make up to you.
Busy low pay
Speech pathologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2019
This is an OK place to work if you’re a new grad needing experience or if you’re an experienced SLP and aren’t concerned about pay.

Pros:
You make your own schedule

Cons:
Low pay. You get laid off for Xmas holidays and March break and summers. Crazy travel all over the city. Management pushes you to see 6 kids/day everyday. You do paperwork on your own time. Management is only concerned about quantity not quality.

Cons:
Flexible schedule and supportive environment
Speech-Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 October 2019
Closing the Gap is a great place to work. At CTG, you have the ability to create your own schedule and maintain a solid work/life balance. Management is incredibly supportive and always available when needed. I never felt as though I didn't have the tools I needed to perform my job. Despite working independently in the community, I still felt connected to colleagues and management, as we had the opportunity to engage in office meetings on a regular basis. I would recommend CTG as a wonderful place to work for any health care professional.
A bad place to work. If you are someone who can sheepishly answer to management, listen passively to criticism, this is for you!
Physiotherapist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2019
I have very little good to say about the 18 months with this company. The management verged on mean and did not give honest answers about where the residences that I would visit were.
Management would always lay blame at the feet of the P.T. if there was something that the CCAC did not like.
A typical example of the way they train: A hoyer lift demonstration that did not have the P.T.s handle the machine....just watch. This led to many complaints on the way out of the meeting with the P.T.s feeling that they still did not have a sense of how to operate this very tricky patient transfer device.
Pros
Get togethers in the corporate offices
Cons
Computer chores at home were lengthy!!
Positive work culture, Strong leadership team & Values-oriented
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 October 2019
This is the first time that I work for a private healthcare company that doesn't simply pay lip service to patient and family-centered values, but rather lives and embodies it in everyday operational standards and leadership development. Closing the Gap is a competitive driver of innovation and strategic change in the healthcare system, especially within the home and community care sector. They may be underestimated because they don't have all the frills that other large community care agencies may claim to provide. However, Closing the Gap delivers on its promises, is building capacity within their corporate team to support its growth, and has a strong future in leading the way home and community care is offered in Ontario. When they do something, they do it well. I appreciate the quality-centered approach in management and service delivery. The culture here revolves around excellence and driven by passionate, experienced folks. I strongly recommend working here if you want to be a part of the solution for addressing the need for integrated services and end-to-end coordinated care for patients in urban and rural communities.
Pros
Flexible, work-life balance
Cons
Tbd
If you Care about your nursing license don't work here!!!
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 September 2019
by far the worst place in Canada to work for. Zoos are better run than this place.They care about money so much that they will make you do stuff you don't feel comfortable when it comes to nursing practice with no training don't care about your license and if you are not familiar with policies procedures or even labour laws they will take advantage. If you're nurse watch out for your license. And if you don't agree even though you're right to do something you get threatened to be reported to the college!
don't do it! you are better then this
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 September 2019
don't do it . cannot have a life with CTG. you don't know your schedule until 5pm daily. YOU also have to call each client the evening before your visit to tell them you are coming.. as they don't want to pay you if you arrive and client is not home. Management changes like some change underwear . completely disorganized. worst home care company I have ever worked for. PSW's are a number. Scheduler is incredibly rude . I sent an email refusing to see a certain client as i did not feel safe with the transfer and was told "other workers do it so I can too" and scheduled me back there the next day. terrible terrible company. a joke .
Terrible place to work
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 September 2019
If I could give it a half a star I would
Management is completely rude to staff
The provide no training and then expect u to know everything within a day
I wouldn’t recommend working there
Unprofessional and disrespectful work environment
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2019
As a healthcare organization, it's silly to pay employees less than other organizations, as it results in high turnover. Employees overall feel undervalued and when the work requires a degree of professionalism when dealing with client physical and mental wellbeing, well, it results in neglect due to having NO staff. When a new horde of employees are hired at a higher pay rate than your employees with seniority, that's a slap on their face. Review and reasess, act with integrity and treat employees better.
Great clients poor management
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON15 August 2019
Got a better job offer closer to home. Gave my two weeks notice. The first week I noticed my hours were slashed and the second week I was totally wrote off the schedule. Very unproffessional and childish in my opinion.
Pros
Clients
Cons
not a bad place to work, pay could be better.
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS25 June 2019
Was a fun place to work. Unfortunately no room for advancement. Pay was not great. There was no perks (no bonuses, no raises, no Christmas parties or even a gift card at that). This goes for all staff (vas, office staff, supervisors etc) everyone in Ontario did just great of course.
Horrible place to work!!!! Do not apply!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 June 2019
The company does not value it's employees. People who work hard don't get paid and those who do nothing are paid the big $. Management is horrible. No one supports you or takes any accountability. People are quitting every day.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no bonus, not paid enough, no pay increase
Toxic work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 June 2019
If you are looking for a toxic environment this working environment is for you. I have never been treated so poorly on the professional level. Practice what you preach CTG.
Cons
Pay is very poor, not comparable to the market. They claim they have work life balance, that is far from the truth. Upper management is highly unprofessional.
terrible management
Personal support worker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 June 2019
Worked with this company and only saw it go down hill the time I was with them. Was offered full time hours only got part time and management changed so often . Was never any drive time was not safe for psw no concern about health and well being for psw mental health status and clients were never happy or satisfied with management either.
Needs major over hall with management and schedulers.
no incentive for employees or thanks and not much appreciation for work done.
Considered to be flexible and family oriented NOT the case.
I would not refer anyone to work with this company you only get one day notice of your schedule impossible to plan anything outside of work.
Terrible place to work only good thing was amazing loving clients who respected psws more then the company itself.
Pros
amazing clients
Cons
short hours, no drive time, and management psws are only a number
fun and caring staff
CCA in training (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS30 May 2019
I loved working for this company it was a fabulous experience I gained some great tips and trades the staff was very accommodating in hours.

I loved meeting new clients, a typical day ay work for me included meal prep light housekeeping pc care respite hours .

The hardest part of the job was when clients no longer needed assistance or they past away. the most enjoyable part of my day was meeting new clients for the first time and sitting down with them to discuss what they require of me while I am there with them even its for just an hour a day
Pros
meeting newe people
Cons
too much down time in between clients
Horrible, toxic environment, extremely high turnover of field and office staff
Office staff (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 May 2019
This company is going downhill very fast. Management walks around with their noses in the air, staff is not treated equally, perks available to some departments are not available to all. Employees are overworked, unappreciated, not supported and very under paid. You can't even turn to HR anymore as they terminated the manager and the rest have all quit the company. Glad I got out when I did.
Lot of Potential
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 May 2019
Coworkers and management are helpful and listen to everyone. They treat their team like "one of their own". A lot of staff care about clients and their work. There is always changes or something new going on. managers always bring in food
Pros
Work/life balance, flexiility, friendly coworkers
Cons
pay is capped because of the goverment
Poor pay /poor support
Staff (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 May 2019
Poor pay and unsupportive management. Pay doesn't reflect responsibility. Expect you to travel long distances without paying kms. Overall not recomending this company.
Pros
Lots of available work
Cons
Poor pay. Poor support.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Closing the Gap Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8