Closing the Gap Healthcare Group Employee Reviews

Terrible supervisory system
PSW (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 February 2019
There is nothing good about this company. You are just a number to them and they don’t care where they send you. In all weathers they will have you traveling for miles to see a client for just an hour. Clients needs are not met and emails put in to the office are ignored. Schedulers are very rude and do not do a good job of scheduling you. If you complain, you are reprimanded or treated unfairly. Hours are cut when ever it suits them.
Clients constantly complaint about different girls going in everyday and about being spoken rudely too by the office staff. As soon as I can find another job I’m out of this one,,,
Pros
Some very nice clients
Cons
Terrible supervisor and schedule staff
Needs new management and proper training
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 December 2018
I was very excited to start...a couple months into it I realized the managers are full of it. They say one thing and then turn around and say it’s not a priority. Basically just show up do more than you’re being paid for and expect very little. The customer service department don’t get proper training nor do they ask if you’re able to work certain shift before scheduling you in. Turn over is high the salaried workers stay because it’s it’s convenient
great place
Psw (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON6 November 2018
A typical day is getting up at the hour you have chossen to work and off to your first client then contioune on from there the hardest part of this job is loosing a client
Pros
awesome schedual and awesome superviser
Cons
sometimes not enoght hours
Not good
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON23 April 2018
Closing the Gap only cares about their bottom line. They give you not even close to enough time to get to different clients. They do not care about their employees. They change policies on the turn of a dime and do not answer your questions or show where to find more information. Employees are just a number. Supervisors do not listen when you have genuine concerns.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Everything else
one of the better home care companies.
CCA (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 April 2018
This is one of the better home care companies in the HRM.
Good management,great clients, good support, average wage for a CCA/HSW. I would work for this company again in a heart beat.
Pros
good scheduling, good management
Cons
front desk reception a bit clueless at time
Good
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 October 2017
Professional environment. Supportive supervisor.
capacities well distributed.
schedule well delivered in advance.
I really enjoyed working at closing the gap,
Great place for RPNs to begin their careers
Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 August 2017
Provides opportunities to gain a variety of clinical skills, confidence in your nursing practice, exceptional critical thinking skills as well as independence in your practice while collaborating with the care team to advocate for clients in the community setting. Management are amazing and so supportive.
Enjoyed my time while employed with this company
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON8 May 2017
I found this company very supportive of their employees. Any concerns brought forward to the office were addressed in a timely fashion. I really enjoyed meeting clients and knowing I was making a difference in their lives by providing a homecare service.
Cons
Having to do split shifts.
Excellent place to work
Assist clients (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 April 2017
Closing the Gap is a great place to work. The company really tries to work with you in placing you with the clients best suited to your qualifications. They are a company who cares about you as well as your performance and is always there to listen to any issues you may encounter and help try to work through them with you.
Home care sucks!!
Shift nurse (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 April 2017
I absolutely loved the patient care end of my job. The company and the home care industry in general sucks. Roads closed due to ice storm? Manager peers out of her window and says "It's not bad at my house, you can go". One of your clients is abusive? Manager says "We'll find you a new assignment soon", then never does. Think you might ever get a raise? HAHAHAHA.
Positive workplace
Admin (Current Employee) –  Mississauga1 March 2017
Management is very supportive. The staff you work with are great. There is a lot to learn and it is extremely busy, but overall a great place to work.
Horrible company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 February 2017
No direction for employees, training was horrific, and hours are not at all flexible. It's an absolute garbage show! The only saving grace is the other employees in the call centre...friendliest people you'll ever meet. But management is full of garbage and un-educated fools.
Cons
This job has the potential to be rewarding but compensation is very poor
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 October 2016
The fee/visit model does not work well as rates have not increased much in 10 years. Contract with CCAC means therapists don't have a lot of autonomy. This company employs many stellar people in upper management positions but does not adequately compensate it's front-line staff.
Pros
Flexibility/make own schedule
Cons
After hours work expected/lots of unpaid time/work
I love caring for people but when I needed time for my own family they made me feel uncomfortable
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 October 2016
We were bought out by Closing The Gap a few months ago and nothing has changed.
No benefits
No sick leave
No paid kms
And when you call in because you need time off for your own dying family it's a big deal
Pros
Doing my job as a psw
Cons
The list goes on.
Great team to work with!
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 August 2016
The employees at Closing the Gap are so friendly and helpful towards everyone! Management is supportive and open! There are a great team of leaders here!
Growth and Support
Administration (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON23 August 2016
Supports employees from the bottom up. I have seen several employees start and grow with the organization.

Management is supportive of your role and is there to train you as you move through positions.

Co-workers are supportive of one another. When you ask for help the whole team jumps in to assist.

Yes, the days are long and yes it is extremely busy, but it makes the day pass by quick and you actually look forward to the next day.
Pros
Benefits, Management, co-workers
Poorly managed. Low morale. Not listened to with concerns.
Coordination (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 July 2016
No room for advancement. Low morale in office. Poor management. Employees not listened to. No salary increases. Hiring more upper management so to top heavy
Benefits
Cons
No pay raises No room for advancement poorly managed
Extremely Poor Environment, NO Growth but Nice People
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 July 2016
Not speaking about CTGHC as a whole, but specifically the Customer Service Centre.... Stay away! The department lacks morale, management does not even get along with each other, instead of getting promoted they will just hire someone externally. Upper management is clueless and takes no accountability for these issues...

Basically, the job consists of running the centre with no resources or direction. They have no regards for the employees in this department.
Pros
Benefits and friendly people
Cons
No growth, no support, toxic environment, NO training, poor management
Professional Organization
Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2016
I am a Full Time PT working in CTGHG. Good organizational framework and a good company to be with.

If you do your job with responsibility and due diligence, you don't seem to have problems.

A typical day could be 5 to 6 hours in community and couple hours at home!!!

I have learned a lot specially from my the managers and supervisors. Management is usually good but sometimes too busy to address your needs!!!

Very few opportunities to interact with co-workers as we work in community but I know some and they are good fellows.

Paperwork is the hardest part here....I think they should consider cutting down some paper work

Most enjoyable part is to be able to help clients function better, that's it....
Pros
Best salaries
Cons
Fluctuating workloads; unpredictable...
Working closely with the physiotherapist and manager in a fast pace environment learing new reports and having interesting coversations with clients.
Customer Service Associate/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 May 2016
Answering and returning phone calls for 2 physiotherapy clinic, scheduling clients appt., greeting client for the management team, sorting mail, courier mail/packages, data entry, filing,working closely with the manager to ensure all information was entered appropriately.
The most enjoyable experience is meeting and having friendly conversations with others. It teaches me of how other live and their appreciation of enjoying life.
There hardest part of the job is hearing and feeling the pain of clients in a situation.
Pros
Great peers, always something new to learn, meeting new people
Cons
Distance, no room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Closing the Gap Healthcare Group. Our community is ready to answer.