Cleo

Cleo Employee Reviews

Canada54 reviews
Working at Cleo was good as a first job. They taught me a lot and it wasn't super stressful. However, the bdl for central alberta is rude and condescending. She talks to everyone (even management on the rare occasion) as if it was their first day working, even if they have been with the company for multiple years. Management was alright, but there was favoritism and hours were based on that as well as performance.
Pros
Not horribly stressful
Cons
Poor management team
1. working with cleo was good as it helped me achieve great success in meeting the sales goals.
2. Interacted with customers in an effective and efficient manner.

3. Productive and excellent work place.
Pros
Discount Card
Cons
less hours
Don't work at the Cleo at carlingwood mall it's awful there is one employee there that is so rude and condicend ing she has no people skills and she's even rude to customers the worst part is that management toast even care or do anything if you complain about this employee she seems to get away with whatever just because she's been there a long time which is not right they make you wear only there clothes which is fine if you get a lot of hours and shifts but not so much if you only work a few days a week it's boring and stress full and the only good part about working there was some of the customers they were the only highlight
Is not place to depend on. Very poor management. Managers lie too much. I really regret working at Cleo. Thank God I have a better job now that really makes me happy.
Managment sucks. Lack of unprofessionalism. Very cheap. They barely gave any hours. The only people that got hours were the manager and her assistant. They are very ageist.
Working at Cleo definitely would have been improved with better and more accepting management. Manager in interview talked about how accepting and flexible they were as I am a student with a very sick dad. I was hired with the premises of working a maximum of 20 hours a week, I was given 48 hours in the first week I was there. Manager always scheduled me during class hours, then get passive aggressive when reminded I couldn't work then. Coworkers were extremely competitive and two faced. I gave up some of my sales to lower my hours, I was accused of stealing sales from coworkers, never talked to about it until it went to higher ups. I was constantly blamed for others mistakes and was treated poorly by management. Definitely based on my age.
I have approximate 5 years experience in customer service and retail. I learnt lot of things while i was working at cleo. The most enjoyable part was helping the customers and fulfill their needs because i am people person i like dealing with customers. I always achieved my targets
overall a good work experience, learned a lot about merchandising, interviewing, training new staff and customer service, good discount, great co-workers
Every guest is so kind and so is the people i work with, nobody is ever left out. I love steaming and being able to put customers first . My manager is the best woman ever, so kind and open minded.
Pros
50% off
Cons
Slow most days
Manager and co-workers get 4.5 thumbs up. (nobody can be perfect) Left this position because retail is not an industry for me. Clients are excellent, easy to assist and most of them appreciate help ad advice on fashion choices.
I enjoyed working there because of the current manager. Meeting sales goals was always a challenge. The clothing was suitable for 50t women. Difficult BDL
enjoyed working here, was slow at times, very polite customers in which i enjoyed working one on one with , got busy around holidays opening up more hours
Too many interim managers. Never quite sure what the right way to do something is, because they all want it done a different way. One interim manager changed my hours and didnt inform me and then pretended she didn't know what happened. She was in charge of the schedule. Co-workers will steal your sales. They'll get you to clean their messes so they can get the sales as well, or have you doing stock so you can never attain their sales goals. Also making me take 30 minute unpaid breaks on a shift 5hrs and under. Sometimes the computers don't clock you in properly and you don't get paid for all your work.
Pros
There are some nice people to work with.
Cons
Just about everything
I enjoy working here, because of the nice coworkers and good management. A typical day at Cleo consists of helping customers with their apparel needs.
-typical day includes helping customers, cashing them out and doing stock
-learned how to deal with a variety of customers

-management is great

-workplace culture is very welcoming and comforting

-not a hard job at all

-most enjoyable part is getting to see your colleagues
Terrible management to say the least. Basically if you're younger than 30, they decide you don't fit in with the customer demographic. Lack of hours but constantly hiring new people so everyone gets even less hours than before. The only positive to working here was my amazing co-workers. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
lack of hours, management
Manager and district manager are very unprofessional. Not team focused at all all they care about are the numbers. No organization at all making it hard to find products. I got yelled at for trying to build rapport With customers from the store manager because I was apparently “wasting time.” When I ask how she then expected me to make a big sale without building a rapport with the clients she said “well that’s not the Cleo way.” Save your time and energy.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Bad management team
A small company so advancement is not easy. However, the culture is big, with lots of team interaction and fun. Management is close to the pulse of the company, working closely to ensure people are engaged and happy. It is not the best paying retailer in the GTA, but they make up for that with a strong culture.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
long commute
A lot of responsibility for minimum wage.
Antiquated computer system.

Management is very strict, sometimes fair, but not interested in hearing every side.

Not allowed to say "I don't know" or "I wasn't aware" etc.

Very little, if any, positive reinforcement.

Must wear only current Cleo brand clothing, which is hard to do on part time minimum wage.

Most customers are a pleasure to serve.
Pros
discount on clothing, including sister companies
Cons
minimum wage, promised hours but not given
Daily operations
Effective communication with associates on daily over all sales goals and personal sales targets

Coaching and hiring of new employees

Merchandising and restocking
A typical day would be mini meetings between management in the backroom talking about other employees...working with all women is the worst thing ever. The constant talking behind peoples backs is the rudest thing Ive had to endure...and it was almost a daily occurance.Terrible pay , terrible benefits.Learnt my lesson !
Pros
interacting with customers
Cons
catty co workers