Clean Harbors Pay & Benefits reviews

Great Place to gain experience
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC27 April 2018
Great place to gain some experience. However I there was a lack of advancement as well as a lack of interest to help me with advancement from management. New employees were making more hourly then myself after 6.5 years of loyalty.
I do however miss my coworkers
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Poor leadership
Good job/very flexible/great opportunity for advancement
Operator/Driver (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 May 2018
If you take initiative and desire to move up in the world both financially and socially, this job can provide an excellent opportunity. Hours are not guaranteed how ever when there is work, the money can be very good. Seems to be a high turnover rate winch leaves room for quick advancement and management is quick to move you up if you show initiative.
Pros
quick advancement, flexible hours
Cons
no schedule, work is feast or famine
8 years wasted
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2017
Terrible company to work for. Worked for 2 different divisions and it was the same lies. You work hard after being promised promotions that never come. Raises every 2-3 years and the new guys get paid the same if not more than you do. Boom and bust cycle of work. HR is a nightmare to deal with. Sub standard equipment. If you like just being a number then this is the place for you! Guys on the crew were good though. Clean Harbors claims to care about their employees but they really don't. It's all about money, took away RRSP matching and benefits cost you more and more every year as they take away more benefits. Management has perfected the art of telling you what you want to hear at the moment. Its a dead end job, profits over people everyday of the week. The Clean Harbors way!
Pros
Good guys
Cons
Everything Else
Mentally exhausting, toxic environment to work in
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2018
Equipment is junk, Mangers believe the job trumps home life, so don't expect balance.
Taking vacation time is punishable by no hours once you return.
No seniority, so don't expect better treatment after time served.
Expect passive aggressive behavior and rumors from management after any illness or personal time taken.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
productive and fun but very underpaid.
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 October 2018
I enjoyed working there only because of the people i worked with. Other employers taught me allot i didnt know. The pay was not at all good, very under paid.
Pros
Learnt Lots
Cons
Bad Wage's
Unprofessional
Clerk/Housekeeping Manager/Camp Helper (Former Employee) –  Wood Buffalo, AB21 December 2016
For starters a company that takes away all your benefits for no reason and in that same month gives raises to upper management is appalling to me. Things were picking for the camps and they suddenly started getting rid of individuals or different ethnicity, because this came from a very close source to the heads they want to make it less ethnic and more comfortable for the managers. It irked me considering how all the way up to management barely have a high school diploma and they judge individuals. honestly I'm glad I no longer working for them its a very toxic environment. Anybody you ask will agree. My opinion is get rid of every upper management including Kirk since he has no idea what is happening in his own company even during the fort mac fires he came and left just as quickly, only to claim he knew what was going on.
Pros
some great people who suffer with you
Cons
the company and management
Maintenance department management is very good considering the staff shortage.
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 March 2017
Layoff of critical personnel has significantly increased the workload for remaining staff; extra, unpaid work hours are necessary to keep up with required work.
Maintenance department management is very good considering the staff shortage.
My direct supervisor is an excellent maintenance manager and extremely easy to work with.
Apparently the recent downturn in industries the company is closely associated has resulted in zero salary increase for the last two years.
Pros
Excellent supervisors and managers are understanding, but unable to ease he workload due to severe staff shortage.
Cons
Extra, unpaid work hours required to keep pace with assigned workload.
Hired for one position but ended up doing another
Senior Rental/ Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB23 July 2014
This job held a lot of promise for me and checked all the boxes that I had set for myself when I was looking to change companies and grow professionally. I was led to believe that their was no issue with the salary that they were offering me and that they were healthy financially. Within two months I could see that somethings were not adding up right nor did it seem that they even wanted me to do what I was hired for, they used me as an administrator. I have no issue with administrative duties but I wanted more than that and I was promised more than that. Management is all friends and if you don't fit in with what they are looking for or do not agree with their horrible business practices then you were seen as on the way out.
Pros
the non-managment People
Productive, Efficient, Puts Safety First, Fun Place to Work
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB2 July 2014
Typical day is like any other supervisor role. You drive to site and make sure that everyone arrived safely. Build and host morning toolbox and address any concerns the crew would have. You work very close to dispatch in making sure that all jobs are planned and that the customers demands are met. You go out on site and make sure that all crews are doing the jobs to the company and clients expectations. Perform site inspections and audits by yourself and also with the client. Converse with the client in meetings and over the phone and plan upcoming jobs.
Awesome crew and can get the job done. Laughing and caring and trustworthy made it enjoyable to be part of the management team.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Lots of driving
Productive, fun environment with learning opportunities.
Human Resource Generalist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2017
Clean Harbors' culture is one where you are empowered to go as far as you are willing to go for personal development. You are encouraged to take the initiative with given tasks, and you are recognized and appreciated for the skills and knowledge you take to the table. You are not micromanaged at all, and is treated fairly and respectfully at all times. The work environment is fun, safe and tolerant.
Pros
Free parking, modern up to date equipment and software, safety, active workplace health and safety program.
Cons
Salary need to be more competitive.
Overall great
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK30 August 2017
Great staff, great work life balance.
Excellent benefits. Great human resources and supports departments
Great location
Overall an excellent work environment
Great place to work if you bring something to the table!
Reactor Entry Technician RET (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan Alberta20 October 2015
I currently work with Clean Harbors and I love it ! All of my skills are utilized and appreciated and I am able to shine every day. Im excited to see what my future has in store here and definitely looking forward to making my imprint on the company. I work as a RET Reactor Entry Technician and its one of the dirtiest jobs ive ever had but I love the rush I get from putting on that helmet.
I was hired from the East Coast and they treat us great! Some sites provide us with a over time meal as per contract. I've been to a few.different sites and different turn arounds in Alberta.
Pros
Hours, Out of town benefits, Pay, Training, Flights
Cons
Last minute decision making, Seasonal work
I would prefer a job with stability and room to set goals and grow
Hydrovac Swamper (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 July 2017
Being on call 24/7 with no oncall schedule or pay is less than idea. The starting wage is low but good for a first job out of high school. Otherwise the work you do as a hydrovac swamp we is quite fun, there's health benefits and most of the employees are great ppl to work with
Pros
Lots of days off
Cons
Never knowing when you will word
Long hrs ( 80-102 hrs per week ),But excellant Safety culture
Combo unit operator (Current Employee) –  Alberta & Sask14 November 2015
CleanHarbors

Was an excellent company to work for even though the days and weeks were long ( 20/10 shift ) ( 80 - 102 hrs per week ) there was too many bosses in the office and not enough in the field but this was understandable. They were high in the safety culture where in my previous job ( Drill Rigs ) there was not much safety hurry up and get it done. The company was always upgrading the work skills and always made sure all certificates were up to date.
Pros
excellant salary
Cons
Long hrs, always felt like someone was watching you
Horrible place to work.
Laborer/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Lethb1 April 2017
If you don't mind being disrespected, lied to, worked like a dog and then let go for no reason (literally - they will tell you "for no reason"), then this job is for you! BCT pays pretty good, but always watch your pay stubs because they very frequently miss hours and try to underpay you. Don't be misled into thinking this will be long-term employment - they seem to have no use for good, loyal, hard workers who want stable employment.
Pros
Decent pay, and benefits.
Cons
Literally everything else.
Lodging Services-no idea what they are doing.
Lodging Services (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB10 May 2016
Co-workers and immediate supervisors were great people. Unfortunately the presidency, vice presidency, HR all went to school together so if you are not part of the "team" you pretty much are on your own. Safety and any business sense are are not on the agenda only what makes the "team" look good to the mother ship in Boston.

Run...just run.
Pros
good salary..if you can get it in writing, an understand there will be no raises unless you are willing to fight hard for it.
Cons
See above
Not a good company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 July 2014
Clean Harbors is a frustrating and difficult company to work for. There is so much disconnect and poor communication between the various divisions and within upper management. I worked as a customer service representative for a year. My co-workers were really great and the only reason I stayed at the company for as long as I did. There was a lot of difficulty with our managers, as they were completely absent most of the time and non communicative and not available when they were needed. The computer system is really slow and outdated. Invoices, quotes, profiles all had to be approved by the corporate office in Boston and it was really difficult to complete anything easily. The pay was pretty good but the benefits were just average and there were no paid sick days. Really high turnover, it seems like there were constantly new people being hired within the company but very few people actually stayed long term. Overall I would not recommend this company, it was not a good experience.
Pros
Good starting wage. Helpful coworkers. Paid vacation and benefits.
Cons
Very little support and training opportunities, high employee turnover, disorganized, poor management, lack of raises or bonuses, no incentive to stay long term.
Not a career
Wastewater Operator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 August 2016
Clean Harbors does appear to appreciate it's employees. Nor does it seek to improve their employee's skills or compensation through employee development. Not a good company to build a career,

With the recent down turn in oil prices, Clean Harbors has had to reduce it's compensation to it's employees this does not make it a stable place to build a family or future.
great company to work for
Centrifuge Hand/Filtration Manager (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB6 January 2017
very good salary, lots of divisions to choose from, great benefits and good management. ppe and equipment are always up to date and available, lots of company perks and a large company so you have tons of room to move and grow.
Very good
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 August 2016
I enjoyed working here, the workers were all knowledgeable and help me when I needed a hand. They all enjoyed working with each other and hung out after work to better get to know the people we, at times, put our lives in the hands of. Management was great and worked hard to make sure the workers were happy.
Pros
Good hours, Great Environment
Cons
Salary could have been better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.