Clean Harbors Pay & Benefits reviews

Stay away, far far away
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Alberta/British Columbia13 March 2019
Hands down the most Toxic environment I have ever worked in. Management is greasy, core company values only exist on paper, nepotism abounds. No integrity or ethics with this outfit.
Pros
Benefits were ok
Cons
They will destroy your sanity
CEO brags about profits on CNN
Field manager (Current Employee) –  Alberta7 March 2019
Hard pill to swallow when your leader goes on CNN and brags about the company's profit increase over the past year, then explain to long term employees that pay increases wont be happening even if it has been 8 years since their last raise.

Great opportunity to grow your career here but come with an exit strategy.
Not a bad company but not one to retire either.
Insite chemist (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB5 November 2018
I worked here for four years as a technician for 3 years and as a chemist for 1.
My time was enjoyable while a technician but the unpaid commute to a remote location made it difficult to stay for long, so around the time I was looking into going somewhere else I got a promotion based out of the Edmonton Area.
As a chemist it was good, many benefits were included with the job including a vehicle plus a paid commute, however the raise to take the chemist job was zero cents.
Benefits are meh, 50% dental, never used the prescription, zero paid sick days, two weeks vacation, nothing to brag about, right on mid-low range.
I would have stayed for longer but management tried to push me to take a job 1 hour North of Fort Mcmurray, at zero dollars net raise income. The way they tried to accomplish this was by cutting my paid commute (which was agreed upon hiring but not written in my contract), sent me back to $50k/year, so in order to stay at the same $66k/year or so they said I had to go up North. They did re-negotiate a contract at the site I was based at but the way the manager deals with you is "take it or leave it", so I left.

Long story short, after four years subtracting inflation my wage went up by $0.95, so this is probably what you should expect: a quarter a year.

Most managers were very good, especially at the Ryley facility, but even then, the only way to describe my last few months there is that I got earnings bullied into finding a new job.

In having said that, overall this is a not bad company, again good for 1-2 years of work, hopefully no more as the
  more... skills you will learn are not easily transferable to other companies as a chemist.
If I was in need of work I would work for Clean Harbors again, but be aware that asking for raises at this company is a waste of time, the raises you will get will be by working overtime, of which there is lots.
Pros
Always paid on time
Cons
No raises.
productive and fun but very underpaid.
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 October 2018
I enjoyed working there only because of the people i worked with. Other employers taught me allot i didnt know. The pay was not at all good, very under paid.
Pros
Learnt Lots
Cons
Bad Wage's
Mentally exhausting, toxic environment to work in
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2018
Equipment is junk, Mangers believe the job trumps home life, so don't expect balance.
Taking vacation time is punishable by no hours once you return.
No seniority, so don't expect better treatment after time served.
Expect passive aggressive behavior and rumors from management after any illness or personal time taken.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Good job/very flexible/great opportunity for advancement
Operator/Driver (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 May 2018
If you take initiative and desire to move up in the world both financially and socially, this job can provide an excellent opportunity. Hours are not guaranteed how ever when there is work, the money can be very good. Seems to be a high turnover rate winch leaves room for quick advancement and management is quick to move you up if you show initiative.
Pros
quick advancement, flexible hours
Cons
no schedule, work is feast or famine
Great Place to gain experience
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC27 April 2018
Great place to gain some experience. However I there was a lack of advancement as well as a lack of interest to help me with advancement from management. New employees were making more hourly then myself after 6.5 years of loyalty.
I do however miss my coworkers
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Poor leadership
Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Cleaner/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
day at work working
workplace
enjoyable working
hard working required
no sitting around
company was hard for me, cleaning buildings.
life time workplace
Pros
free lunchs
Cons
short hours
good company
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 September 2017
it was a good place to work they had good equipment. they were understanding good hours flexible . they had proper procedures in place and a good crew of people working for them
Its a fun place to work
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 September 2017
I really like working with clean harbors it's a really nice place the people are really friendly everyone works together and they like here all your thought.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lots of hours
Good place to work, steady hours all year round.
Facility technician (Current Employee) –  Ryley, AB30 August 2017
Let me start by saying that all facilities seem to run differently, all have a different culture within the Clean Harbors culture (like comparing New York and Texas, same country but very different places).

I worked doing the facility technician job for three years, at the time I applied it required post secondary education in chemistry, my facility was Ryley Alberta which is a landfill/transfer station in a segregated rural village.

This job is very steady, there is work for the next 20 years in this facility however sadly there seems like there will be little to no net growth in terms of personnel and for that reason with some education this is more than likely going to be a temporary job for whomever takes it. You have the choice to live in a quiet town home to 500 people or drive 70-80km to the nearest city. I chose the latter, which did cost me 120,000 km and many hours of driving over three years.

The pay is reasonable for the job, however if you’re an out of town worker which is more than likely then you’ll find out how underpaid it actually is (since the labour pool for this job in particular has been exhausted in the local area). For this reason, do not be shy to ask for the highest possible pay - because raises are unlikely at this facility - highly unlikely I will repeat.

This job is a hard hat, coveralls, steel toed boots kind of job, depending on your capacity it’ll be 10% office work, 15% lab work and the rest transfer station work (mostly labour), and any combination up to and including 100% transfer station work (unlikely but if you don’t know
  more... how to use a computer... that’s probably it).
The opportunity for you is to learn about the landfill waste management business, how to tell a hazardous waste from a non-hazardous waste. You’ll have the chance to learn to operate a forklift, skidsteer, dump truck (roll-off), fire truck, vac-truck, etc, also get an intro to the office environment and lab work. There may or may not be side projects for you to use your own skills while earning overtime pay (like fixing lab/office equipment, doing special report projects, etc).

The tittle here was facility technician but at the end of the day this position might be more of a labourer than the guy who’s title is labourer. Some of your duties can be sweeping the floor, shovelling snow, plucking weeds, cleaning spills, bulking pails, drums or totes of chemicals, pressure washing bins, fixing things around the facility... etc. You can also be a driver in this position, ideally you’ll have a class 3 license so you can drive the required equipment but there is always someone who can drive it otherwise. Driving truck loads of garbage drums up the landfill can be one of your main duties. Opening drums is mandatory work, checking their content and classifying them according to the best disposal option (which you will be trained to do). Be aware, this job is dirty – smells? Yes. Rotten egg, dust, onion, decomposed stuff, grain, mining metal waste, rocks, sewer material, chlorine, pesticide, herbicide, acids, bases and most of all – petrochemicals and hydrocarbons, you're provided all the PPE and you will be better off using it.

Overall there is hope within the company, however management will resist any attempt for your transfer to another facility unless its an actual move up. In a bull economy it could be quick after the one year (mandatory), otherwise you may get stuck there for many years (three for me).
You’ll learn something here, in terms of training at Riley you will only get what is essential for the job but any extras only the first aid and maybe confined space.
If you don’t have some major chemical knowledge, acquired through experience or schooling I don’t recommend that you apply for this job. Otherwise, I did the job and it kept me employed through the longest economic recession in Alberta’s history.

If I scared you away let me finish by saying that I don’t regret my choices but the taste is definitely bittersweet. I managed to get something better within the company, I hope it is as good as it sounds.
Pros
Steady hours, good supervisors and management.
Cons
No pay raises, long commute.
Overall great
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK30 August 2017
Great staff, great work life balance.
Excellent benefits. Great human resources and supports departments
Great location
Overall an excellent work environment
8 years wasted
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2017
Terrible company to work for. Worked for 2 different divisions and it was the same lies. You work hard after being promised promotions that never come. Raises every 2-3 years and the new guys get paid the same if not more than you do. Boom and bust cycle of work. HR is a nightmare to deal with. Sub standard equipment. If you like just being a number then this is the place for you! Guys on the crew were good though. Clean Harbors claims to care about their employees but they really don't. It's all about money, took away RRSP matching and benefits cost you more and more every year as they take away more benefits. Management has perfected the art of telling you what you want to hear at the moment. Its a dead end job, profits over people everyday of the week. The Clean Harbors way!
Pros
Good guys
Cons
Everything Else
I would prefer a job with stability and room to set goals and grow
Hydrovac Swamper (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 July 2017
Being on call 24/7 with no oncall schedule or pay is less than idea. The starting wage is low but good for a first job out of high school. Otherwise the work you do as a hydrovac swamp we is quite fun, there's health benefits and most of the employees are great ppl to work with
Pros
Lots of days off
Cons
Never knowing when you will word
lot of travle
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 June 2017
we travled all over sask alberta an Manitoba stayed in hotel rooms ate bad food the pay was good so where the guys I worked with an the work wasn't bad I got used to it
Pros
traveled all over
Cons
the long drives
Horrible place to work.
Laborer/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Lethb1 April 2017
If you don't mind being disrespected, lied to, worked like a dog and then let go for no reason (literally - they will tell you "for no reason"), then this job is for you! BCT pays pretty good, but always watch your pay stubs because they very frequently miss hours and try to underpay you. Don't be misled into thinking this will be long-term employment - they seem to have no use for good, loyal, hard workers who want stable employment.
Pros
Decent pay, and benefits.
Cons
Literally everything else.
Awful place to work.
Wet Dry Vac Labourer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 March 2017
The hours are inconsistent, training is terrible. There is no work/ life balance here at all. You're always on call and management is highly unprofessional. Do yourself a favour do not apply here. The worst most unorganized branch of Clean Harbors I've ever seen.
Pros
Good pay cheque
Cons
Long hours, management
Maintenance department management is very good considering the staff shortage.
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 March 2017
Layoff of critical personnel has significantly increased the workload for remaining staff; extra, unpaid work hours are necessary to keep up with required work.
Maintenance department management is very good considering the staff shortage.
My direct supervisor is an excellent maintenance manager and extremely easy to work with.
Apparently the recent downturn in industries the company is closely associated has resulted in zero salary increase for the last two years.
Pros
Excellent supervisors and managers are understanding, but unable to ease he workload due to severe staff shortage.
Cons
Extra, unpaid work hours required to keep pace with assigned workload.
Good old boys club
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB16 February 2017
Same work every day. To much bureaucratic. Management tries to make it a good place to work for but stalls often. Lots of promises that never come true.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, rrsp, good shifts
Cons
You get drained in rules and watch everybody break them
JUst get the job done.
Wastewater Processing / Potable Water Production (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC10 February 2017
Have to work with what you have on hand... Hard to get new supplies. I worked way off site and in reality it was very isolated.
Pros
Proper pay
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.