Clean Harbors Pay & Benefits reviews

Mentally exhausting, toxic environment to work in
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2018
Equipment is junk, Mangers believe the job trumps home life, so don't expect balance.
Taking vacation time is punishable by no hours once you return.
No seniority, so don't expect better treatment after time served.
Expect passive aggressive behavior and rumors from management after any illness or personal time taken.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Good job/very flexible/great opportunity for advancement
Operator/Driver (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 May 2018
If you take initiative and desire to move up in the world both financially and socially, this job can provide an excellent opportunity. Hours are not guaranteed how ever when there is work, the money can be very good. Seems to be a high turnover rate winch leaves room for quick advancement and management is quick to move you up if you show initiative.
Pros
quick advancement, flexible hours
Cons
no schedule, work is feast or famine
Great Place to gain experience
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC27 April 2018
Great place to gain some experience. However I there was a lack of advancement as well as a lack of interest to help me with advancement from management. New employees were making more hourly then myself after 6.5 years of loyalty.
I do however miss my coworkers
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Poor leadership
Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Cleaner/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
day at work working
workplace
enjoyable working
hard working required
no sitting around
company was hard for me, cleaning buildings.
life time workplace
Pros
free lunchs
Cons
short hours
Its a fun place to work
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 September 2017
I really like working with clean harbors it's a really nice place the people are really friendly everyone works together and they like here all your thought.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lots of hours
Good place to work, steady hours all year round.
Facility technician (Current Employee) –  Ryley, AB30 August 2017
Let me start by saying that all facilities seem to run differently, all have a different culture within the Clean Harbors culture (like comparing New York and Texas, same country but very different places).

I worked doing the facility technician job for three years, at the time I applied it required post secondary education in chemistry, my facility was Ryley Alberta which is a landfill/transfer station in a segregated rural village.

This job is very steady, there is work for the next 20 years in this facility however sadly there seems like there will be little to no net growth in terms of personnel and for that reason with some education this is more than likely going to be a temporary job for whomever takes it. You have the choice to live in a quiet town home to 500 people or drive 70-80km to the nearest city. I chose the latter, which did cost me 120,000 km and many hours of driving over three years.

The pay is reasonable for the job, however if you’re an out of town worker which is more than likely then you’ll find out how underpaid it actually is (since the labour pool for this job in particular has been exhausted in the local area). For this reason, do not be shy to ask for the highest possible pay - because raises are unlikely at this facility - highly unlikely I will repeat.

This job is a hard hat, coveralls, steel toed boots kind of job, depending on your capacity it’ll be 10% office work, 15% lab work and the rest transfer station work (mostly labour), and any combination up to and including 100% transfer station work (unlikely but if you don’t know
  more... how to use a computer... that’s probably it).
The opportunity for you is to learn about the landfill waste management business, how to tell a hazardous waste from a non-hazardous waste. You’ll have the chance to learn to operate a forklift, skidsteer, dump truck (roll-off), fire truck, vac-truck, etc, also get an intro to the office environment and lab work. There may or may not be side projects for you to use your own skills while earning overtime pay (like fixing lab/office equipment, doing special report projects, etc).

The tittle here was facility technician but at the end of the day this position might be more of a labourer than the guy who’s title is labourer. Some of your duties can be sweeping the floor, shovelling snow, plucking weeds, cleaning spills, bulking pails, drums or totes of chemicals, pressure washing bins, fixing things around the facility... etc. You can also be a driver in this position, ideally you’ll have a class 3 license so you can drive the required equipment but there is always someone who can drive it otherwise. Driving truck loads of garbage drums up the landfill can be one of your main duties. Opening drums is mandatory work, checking their content and classifying them according to the best disposal option (which you will be trained to do). Be aware, this job is dirty – smells? Yes. Rotten egg, dust, onion, decomposed stuff, grain, mining metal waste, rocks, sewer material, chlorine, pesticide, herbicide, acids, bases and most of all – petrochemicals and hydrocarbons, you're provided all the PPE and you will be better off using it.

Overall there is hope within the company, however management will resist any attempt for your transfer to another facility unless its an actual move up. In a bull economy it could be quick after the one year (mandatory), otherwise you may get stuck there for many years (three for me).
You’ll learn something here, in terms of training at Riley you will only get what is essential for the job but any extras only the first aid and maybe confined space.
If you don’t have some major chemical knowledge, acquired through experience or schooling I don’t recommend that you apply for this job. Otherwise, I did the job and it kept me employed through the longest economic recession in Alberta’s history.

If I scared you away let me finish by saying that I don’t regret my choices but the taste is definitely bittersweet. I managed to get something better within the company, I hope it is as good as it sounds.
Pros
Steady hours, good supervisors and management.
Cons
No pay raises, long commute.
Overall great
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK30 August 2017
Great staff, great work life balance.
Excellent benefits. Great human resources and supports departments
Great location
Overall an excellent work environment
8 years wasted
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2017
Terrible company to work for. Worked for 2 different divisions and it was the same lies. You work hard after being promised promotions that never come. Raises every 2-3 years and the new guys get paid the same if not more than you do. Boom and bust cycle of work. HR is a nightmare to deal with. Sub standard equipment. If you like just being a number then this is the place for you! Guys on the crew were good though. Clean Harbors claims to care about their employees but they really don't. It's all about money, took away RRSP matching and benefits cost you more and more every year as they take away more benefits. Management has perfected the art of telling you what you want to hear at the moment. Its a dead end job, profits over people everyday of the week. The Clean Harbors way!
Pros
Good guys
Cons
Everything Else
I would prefer a job with stability and room to set goals and grow
Hydrovac Swamper (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 July 2017
Being on call 24/7 with no oncall schedule or pay is less than idea. The starting wage is low but good for a first job out of high school. Otherwise the work you do as a hydrovac swamp we is quite fun, there's health benefits and most of the employees are great ppl to work with
Pros
Lots of days off
Cons
Never knowing when you will word
lot of travle
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 June 2017
we travled all over sask alberta an Manitoba stayed in hotel rooms ate bad food the pay was good so where the guys I worked with an the work wasn't bad I got used to it
Pros
traveled all over
Cons
the long drives
Horrible place to work.
Laborer/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Lethb1 April 2017
If you don't mind being disrespected, lied to, worked like a dog and then let go for no reason (literally - they will tell you "for no reason"), then this job is for you! BCT pays pretty good, but always watch your pay stubs because they very frequently miss hours and try to underpay you. Don't be misled into thinking this will be long-term employment - they seem to have no use for good, loyal, hard workers who want stable employment.
Pros
Decent pay, and benefits.
Cons
Literally everything else.
Maintenance department management is very good considering the staff shortage.
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 March 2017
Layoff of critical personnel has significantly increased the workload for remaining staff; extra, unpaid work hours are necessary to keep up with required work.
Maintenance department management is very good considering the staff shortage.
My direct supervisor is an excellent maintenance manager and extremely easy to work with.
Apparently the recent downturn in industries the company is closely associated has resulted in zero salary increase for the last two years.
Pros
Excellent supervisors and managers are understanding, but unable to ease he workload due to severe staff shortage.
Cons
Extra, unpaid work hours required to keep pace with assigned workload.
Good old boys club
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB16 February 2017
Same work every day. To much bureaucratic. Management tries to make it a good place to work for but stalls often. Lots of promises that never come true.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, rrsp, good shifts
Cons
You get drained in rules and watch everybody break them
JUst get the job done.
Wastewater Processing / Potable Water Production (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC10 February 2017
Have to work with what you have on hand... Hard to get new supplies. I worked way off site and in reality it was very isolated.
Pros
Proper pay
Cons
Productive, fun environment with learning opportunities.
Human Resource Generalist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2017
Clean Harbors' culture is one where you are empowered to go as far as you are willing to go for personal development. You are encouraged to take the initiative with given tasks, and you are recognized and appreciated for the skills and knowledge you take to the table. You are not micromanaged at all, and is treated fairly and respectfully at all times. The work environment is fun, safe and tolerant.
Pros
Free parking, modern up to date equipment and software, safety, active workplace health and safety program.
Cons
Salary need to be more competitive.
no steady work
ο Combo and sandwich maker / 1st Breakfast cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2017
no job security, new workers get more work than workers who have been with them for years. no travel pay to get there. no permanent camps. location changes constantly.
Pros
Cons
work longer than you are paid
great company to work for
Centrifuge Hand/Filtration Manager (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB6 January 2017
very good salary, lots of divisions to choose from, great benefits and good management. ppe and equipment are always up to date and available, lots of company perks and a large company so you have tons of room to move and grow.
Unprofessional
Clerk/Housekeeping Manager/Camp Helper (Former Employee) –  Wood Buffalo, AB21 December 2016
For starters a company that takes away all your benefits for no reason and in that same month gives raises to upper management is appalling to me. Things were picking for the camps and they suddenly started getting rid of individuals or different ethnicity, because this came from a very close source to the heads they want to make it less ethnic and more comfortable for the managers. It irked me considering how all the way up to management barely have a high school diploma and they judge individuals. honestly I'm glad I no longer working for them its a very toxic environment. Anybody you ask will agree. My opinion is get rid of every upper management including Kirk since he has no idea what is happening in his own company even during the fort mac fires he came and left just as quickly, only to claim he knew what was going on.
Pros
some great people who suffer with you
Cons
the company and management
i love the staff there thay also have a recroom
House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2016
it is amazing place to work you are treated good the salary is good i have learned about safety all my co-worker are good the hardest part of the job is shoveling snow the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new clients
Pros
free board and food while your in camp
Not a career
Wastewater Operator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 August 2016
Clean Harbors does appear to appreciate it's employees. Nor does it seek to improve their employee's skills or compensation through employee development. Not a good company to build a career,

With the recent down turn in oil prices, Clean Harbors has had to reduce it's compensation to it's employees this does not make it a stable place to build a family or future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.