Clean Harbors
Information from Clean Harbors:

Clean Harbors Employee Reviews for Equipment Operator

Equipment Operator12 reviews
Canada12 reviews
I worked at Clean Harbors for 4 years as an Operator. Clean Harbors as the core company is very focused towards it employees and their well being, and advancement. That being said the management from branch to branch is very different. there is a lot of favouritism (close with management and supervisors) and generally branch management is not willing to help its employees in any manner whether that be broken equipment, training, required PPE, time off, or performance based raises (never doing the reviews if they don't like you). They will constantly send you out of town with less than 24hrs notice and you can expect to consistently be away from your home and family for 2wks-1mth (only those close to management get consistent home based work). Safety training within the segregated branches is ignored and they will make you do jobs that you are unsure about or not familiar with, with absolutely no formal training other than someone who kinda knows the job and equipment (I was on sites where people got hurt over this). If you refuse, since they cannot fire for the refusal they will sit you at home (with no pay) until you quit. That being said the fellow drivers and labourers are generally really good to work with and talk to, and are willing to help guys through uncertain situations.
I worked at this company at the Ryley landfill division for nearly 5 years. Every week going back the thought wasn’t about what to do all it was is how are we getting in trouble today. The management here is absolutely terrible. They have no clue what they are doing and have no clue how to manage themselves let alone anyone else. The pay is even worse for the hazards you work in and even if you are the longest lasting employee new hires can be paid more than you. I knew the place inside and out and that still wasn’t good enough. The management promotes bullying and even adds in to get things more heated. If you like being treated like absolute garbage then by all means work here. But take my advice and avoid it at all cost. Even now I hear how everything is my fault or how the managers are going to treat me next time they see me. When I started there we had full crews of new hires at the same time as me. When I left I was the last of those hires there. This facility itself is trash and unless management changes there’s no way I’d even advise my worst enemy to work there.
Also, my last week there they made us run the track hoe and rock trucks with no windshields.
Pros
Shift work
Cons
Management sucks, pay, benefits, work environment, coworker bickering and backstabbing
I applied for my job at Clean Harbors and thought I had a great job thinking "This is my future". But since the very beginning, (I've been here 8 months now) I keep hearing about layoffs. Apparently next month I will be unemployed.
Pros
Camp, flight percentage paid, most camps are nice and comfortable
Cons
job security, flight percentage just changed for less, no advancement due to lack of proper management
Work is not based on skill level, only how long you have been with them. Be prepared to sit in camp unpaid waiting for work. Coworkers whine a lot if you do get a chance to work because in their mind you have taken the job away from them. No one wants to help train you on different trucks because you are the competition for jobs then then. Terrible work culture, nobody takes pride in their work, just do enough to not get kicked off of site.
Pros
Cons
East coasters that believe they are better, not equal.
the work place bulling from foremen will happen if you dont have a skirt.you also get called out of your name if he feels like it.and nothing gets done even if you go to the higher ups
it was a good place to work they had good equipment. they were understanding good hours flexible . they had proper procedures in place and a good crew of people working for them
Terrible company to work for. Worked for 2 different divisions and it was the same lies. You work hard after being promised promotions that never come. Raises every 2-3 years and the new guys get paid the same if not more than you do. Boom and bust cycle of work. HR is a nightmare to deal with. Sub standard equipment. If you like just being a number then this is the place for you! Guys on the crew were good though. Clean Harbors claims to care about their employees but they really don't. It's all about money, took away RRSP matching and benefits cost you more and more every year as they take away more benefits. Management has perfected the art of telling you what you want to hear at the moment. Its a dead end job, profits over people everyday of the week. The Clean Harbors way!
Pros
Good guys
Cons
Everything Else
I operated loader and backhoe for this company. was dealing with serious chemicals in alberta.i ran excavator to dig chemical ponds out.very scary but cool and safe
Provide services to customers on a timely basis. troubleshoot, maintain, and operate equipment with ability and knowledge.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Rushed out of safety meetings and they try to make you skip safety steps just to start the job sooner. Supervision and management bully anyone they can look down at, will tell you to your face that you are simply an expendable bill to them.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
minimum 16 hour days with travel, bullying management, lax safety
Ran Semi Vac, Water Tanker. Lots learned. Management was decent. Co Workers were good guys to work with. Winter highway driving was the hardest part, the most enjoyable part the people I worked with.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Winter Driving on highways
The only types of jobs that could be decent within this company would be office jobs maybe. I say maybe cause if you like sucking d/€k you might get head or give it your choice! When the head office tells supervisors and management there's a wage freeze on because they need to cut costs by 90 million dollars you might think ok because of our current recession. But then they turn around 3 months later and buy Safety Kleen another company bought on the backs of their field personnel. The company is full of backstabbers and bad management with the exception of one person and his hands are tied. I spent 2 1/2 years there as an operator. They rule with an iron fist and will screw you over any chance they get. They're under a directive from head office not to turn down any work so there's no time for family life. The lack of communication is horrible it's all last minute and they rarely get a pat cheque right!
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
some experienced field personal