Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

Very poorly managed
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Canada4 February 2019
There is a prevailing attitude of every man for himself.
Supervisors are ok, but managers are unprofessional at best. Petty, vindictive. Rely on intimidation and public shaming. They do not care about safety at all unless it’s free or covers them from any possible fallout. They will threaten jobs to force compliance with their points of view. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
Very Demanding Enviroment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario19 January 2019
Management expects more for less. Extra efforts go unrecognized. Benefits and retirement plans clawed back without notice. "Team" has little meaning. Team Members are only looking out for themselves and have very little loyalty to others.
Decent Company
Industrial Service Representative - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2019
I really enjoyed working at the Clean Harbors office on the west end of Edmonton. I cannot confidently say that all of the locations are as good as this one. It also depends on the department or branch you work for.
Pros
Co workers, pay
Cons
Field people are a little testy from time to time
This company is a Safty first company
Vacuum Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 January 2019
Danger was very real working here, but we all knew our backs were covered by each other and the company. They have extensive training and first aid, safety gear that is state of the art. Everyone there was aware of everything that was going on at all times. You felt very comfortable working there.
The most enjoyable part of the day was a job well done!
Not a bad company but not one to retire either.
Insite chemist (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB5 November 2018
I worked here for four years as a technician for 3 years and as a chemist for 1.
My time was enjoyable while a technician but the unpaid commute to a remote location made it difficult to stay for long, so around the time I was looking into going somewhere else I got a promotion based out of the Edmonton Area.
As a chemist it was good, many benefits were included with the job including a vehicle plus a paid commute, however the raise to take the chemist job was zero cents.
Benefits are meh, 50% dental, never used the prescription, zero paid sick days, two weeks vacation, nothing to brag about, right on mid-low range.
I would have stayed for longer but management tried to push me to take a job 1 hour North of Fort Mcmurray, at zero dollars net raise income. The way they tried to accomplish this was by cutting my paid commute (which was agreed upon hiring but not written in my contract), sent me back to $50k/year, so in order to stay at the same $66k/year or so they said I had to go up North. They did re-negotiate a contract at the site I was based at but the way the manager deals with you is "take it or leave it", so I left.

Long story short, after four years subtracting inflation my wage went up by $0.95, so this is probably what you should expect: a quarter a year.

Most managers were very good, especially at the Ryley facility, but even then, the only way to describe my last few months there is that I got earnings bullied into finding a new job.

In having said that, overall this is a not bad company, again good for 1-2 years of work, hopefully no more as the
  more... skills you will learn are not easily transferable to other companies as a chemist.
If I was in need of work I would work for Clean Harbors again, but be aware that asking for raises at this company is a waste of time, the raises you will get will be by working overtime, of which there is lots.
Pros
Always paid on time
Cons
No raises.
Only care about safety when it suits them. Change schedules at will. Lots of hours.
Materials Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Timbuktu25 October 2018
I've worked for two different divisions. First division seemed to genuinely care about employees but was still hard to get proper PPE. Second division, supervisors were fine, but managers and up had a total disconnect with staff.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Lack of good treatment.
productive and fun but very underpaid.
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 October 2018
I enjoyed working there only because of the people i worked with. Other employers taught me allot i didnt know. The pay was not at all good, very under paid.
Pros
Learnt Lots
Cons
Bad Wage's
Long hr processing plant Newfoundland
Vac Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Vale processing plant long hr Newfoundland16 August 2018
Supervision has no knowledge. Told to use particulate filters for H2S gas job. Also going to remove tripod for confined space entry on top entry frac tank. No appreciation for work you do. Unorganized. No fairness in any aspect. If you don’t suck up to boss u will not succeed. No maintenance done on any trucks. No gear there to do the jobs you have to do. Supervision is unqualified and treats workers with no respect. Came out and said he was only one that matters on the crew. Very poor leadership. Worst place I’ve ever worked from management perspective.
Pros
Cons
Supervision
People their are clickey
PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB14 August 2018
Just tell you to do the work without showing how to do it, and the people their have their own group and if you don't fit into the group the make you feel very unwelcome, I am vegan i felt so out of place when it came to having party for the workers they bought food for everyone else besides me,
Unprofessional
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC6 August 2018
FSJ management is terrible.
So many Bosses to answer to.
Petty. If you're their buddy prepare for lots of hours and OK working environment.
If you're not part of the in-crowd, prepare for a miserable existence.
Pros
Some good people on the crew
Cons
FSJ Management is unprofessional
Mentally exhausting, toxic environment to work in
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 August 2018
Equipment is junk, Mangers believe the job trumps home life, so don't expect balance.
Taking vacation time is punishable by no hours once you return.
No seniority, so don't expect better treatment after time served.
Expect passive aggressive behavior and rumors from management after any illness or personal time taken.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Fort mac over hired
Eo/operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 July 2018
Well fort mac is union and be prepared to sit and not 1 or 2 days if you're under a yr seniority you could sit 4-9 days outta your 21 . That's really the only bad part I found besides the typical useless union crybabies
Pros
Money
Cons
Hard to make money sitting
American owned Company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Corunna, ON22 July 2018
Equipment is tired and worn out. Needs to be updated. They talk the talk but don’t walk the walk when it comes to compliance. Company is top heavy with layers of management going through the motions day in and day out. Out of touch with front line workers dealing with their customers on a daily bases. Not given proper equipment to do required job task because of shoe string department budgets.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor equipment and out of touch management
Over 13,000 Employees but still retains the Family Feel
Talent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB20 July 2018
The first huge benefit to working for Clean Harbors, is that their number one value is Safety. It is integrated everywhere. Secondly, there is nothing better than being so busy you forget what time it is everyday. Rapidly growing through reputation and acquisition, one of Clean Harbor's motto's stands true: "Hire to Retire" - you truly can begin an entry level position and grow into succession here. I also highly appreciate, as a corporate employee, all of the training and certification culture that is available, from field laborers all the way up to the C-Levels. Everybody is valued at this company and it retains the "Family" feel (having been started in the early 1980's by a man with two trucks and three friends) which is evident everyday as you develop relationships throughout the organization.
Pros
SAFETY is Number 1, several lines of business which fosters and creates economic vitality, paid training, certification and tuition reimbursement, variety, progression opportunities, inclusive culture
Good company
EO laborer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2018
Clean harbor gave me a chance to do shutdown in some of the best rafinery in Canada i feel previlage to be part of the clean harbor team 98xp is where we make it happen let's go!!!
Pros
Experience money co worker
Cons
Away form family
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB18 July 2018
Great place to work. Great people just long hours hard to plan things with the family. Other I work with are great just looking for something closer to home
Operator
Operator (Former Employee) –  Ft Saskatchewan1 June 2018
If you’re going to work for the ft Saskatchewan shop your actually working for lonestar. Harbors bought them out last year with the intention of being extremely busy and becoming a major player in the hydro business. They also decided to run the hydro division the way lonestar was, even though they acquired over 20 million in debt from lonestar. As far as I can see, they made a huge mistake.Our pay changed from every week to every two weeks, absolutely no work, and employees on both sides angry.Management has no clue what’s going on lol. Good luck.
Pros
None anymore
Cons
Won’t know who your working for
Good job/very flexible/great opportunity for advancement
Operator/Driver (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 May 2018
If you take initiative and desire to move up in the world both financially and socially, this job can provide an excellent opportunity. Hours are not guaranteed how ever when there is work, the money can be very good. Seems to be a high turnover rate winch leaves room for quick advancement and management is quick to move you up if you show initiative.
Pros
quick advancement, flexible hours
Cons
no schedule, work is feast or famine
Poorly run hire buddy
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 May 2018
If you’re a buddy lots of hours. If you’re not a buddy then expect to be treated poorly.
Policy, procedures, and safety are only looked at when it’s convientant to them.
Work shift recently changed to have a bit more home life.
Training was supplied great company to get all your tickets with.
Workers get the lower grade camp rooms.
Expect to be packing and moving a lot.
Overtime is 8/44
Pros
Supplied camp, overtime after 8/44
Cons
Unorganized chaos
Awful place to work!
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 April 2018
Day 1 - my position was changed to a whole new department and position that was NOT mentioned in the interview! My entire team was in the states and was very difficult to.work with. Unorganized, low pay, poor management and a horrible stuffy culture. Highly suggest to look the other way!!! Upper management gets paid a fortune meanwhile everyone else is compensated poorly. Can't begun yo explain how awful this experience was.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.