Clean Harbors Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Cleaner/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
day at work working
workplace
enjoyable working
hard working required
no sitting around
company was hard for me, cleaning buildings.
life time workplace
Pros
free lunchs
Cons
short hours
Dark side
Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2018
Will take a normal person , brain wash him to a level where he drives the company pick up truck to the liquor store to buy booze and won’t back up because he doesn’t have a spotter and then he will preach himself in next morning safety meeting, how Safe he was.
I strongly make a suggestion to the Management to hand in to the workers, along with PPE, some dippers with Manufacturer specifications.
Pros
No contract and you can quit at anytime, anywhere
Cons
Back stubbing, lying, nepotism, and bunch of useless
Worst place to work
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC30 January 2018
The manager is a two faced know it all hydro vac operator who talks behind all his guys back and feeds us lies to keep us happy. The office staff is to good to go out and do any actual work unless it has to do with a plant that's 10 min away. The trucks are rundown and will fail any MVI and the driver would be blamed for any ticket associated with the unit. Poor management and supervision unless your family or best buddies with the dispatcher.
Pros
N/a
Cons
not a good place to work
Vacuum Truck Operator/Water Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC26 December 2017
just a fair company we had a work shortage in fort saint john and fort nelson and instead of laying us off they kept us there not making any money not fair happy
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
poor managment
Terrible job, miserable coworkers
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 December 2017
Work is not based on skill level, only how long you have been with them. Be prepared to sit in camp unpaid waiting for work. Coworkers whine a lot if you do get a chance to work because in their mind you have taken the job away from them. No one wants to help train you on different trucks because you are the competition for jobs then then. Terrible work culture, nobody takes pride in their work, just do enough to not get kicked off of site.
Pros
Cons
East coasters that believe they are better, not equal.
worst company (unless you are from the east)
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 December 2017
horrible place to work. I find that management has a reactive safety philosophy. They should be on their game before incidents occur. They also will scold you for any lottle thing and blame the worker. They lie and have no remorse. I've been there 10 years and this is whats become. save the trouble and find another company.
Pros
getting all of tickets paid for
Cons
everything, dishonest management.
Crew mentality is solid and on point
Chemical Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2017
But the management drops the ball hard on its employees, falling short on well being, scheduling and concerns. Lets the benchwarmers and the d*ckblowers get away with bloodshed while the honest people working hard and keeping their noses out of the bosses rear ends, getting reprimanded and silently punished with hollow promises and constant budget cuts..
Pros
The best field crews.
Cons
The management.
enjoyable place to work
Tank inspector / journeyman welder red seal (Former Employee) –  Provost, AB23 October 2017
i found that clean harbors provided safe work environment never asked to do anything unsafe and always makes sure that they are keeping you safe when doing the job.
I enjoyed working in different places always keeps the job interesting traveling to new locations
the management good but i found it changed to much it like learning curve for new management to understand a person value to the company
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hours not enough pay
not a place for you to work
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ryley, AB30 September 2017
the work place bulling from foremen will happen if you dont have a skirt.you also get called out of your name if he feels like it.and nothing gets done even if you go to the higher ups
Good place to work a real teamwork culture
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pelican lake,AB29 September 2017
I like working here and I enjoy the safety aspect . I am apart of a great team here in pelican lake good management and operators we are in remote area and anything we need for work is provided to us. The roads are hard on equipment and the drivers try to keep things clean
Pros
Good work environment and decent pay
Cons
No job security
good company
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 September 2017
it was a good place to work they had good equipment. they were understanding good hours flexible . they had proper procedures in place and a good crew of people working for them
great company to work for
2nd Cook (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB21 September 2017
as a starter in the lodging services its a great company to work for, you can see if that kind of work is for you. very positive work environment and the Management works with you to get you going
Pros
flexible
Cons
not enough staff
Its a fun place to work
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 September 2017
I really like working with clean harbors it's a really nice place the people are really friendly everyone works together and they like here all your thought.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lots of hours
Good place to work, steady hours all year round.
Facility technician (Current Employee) –  Ryley, AB30 August 2017
Let me start by saying that all facilities seem to run differently, all have a different culture within the Clean Harbors culture (like comparing New York and Texas, same country but very different places).

I worked doing the facility technician job for three years, at the time I applied it required post secondary education in chemistry, my facility was Ryley Alberta which is a landfill/transfer station in a segregated rural village.

This job is very steady, there is work for the next 20 years in this facility however sadly there seems like there will be little to no net growth in terms of personnel and for that reason with some education this is more than likely going to be a temporary job for whomever takes it. You have the choice to live in a quiet town home to 500 people or drive 70-80km to the nearest city. I chose the latter, which did cost me 120,000 km and many hours of driving over three years.

The pay is reasonable for the job, however if you’re an out of town worker which is more than likely then you’ll find out how underpaid it actually is (since the labour pool for this job in particular has been exhausted in the local area). For this reason, do not be shy to ask for the highest possible pay - because raises are unlikely at this facility - highly unlikely I will repeat.

This job is a hard hat, coveralls, steel toed boots kind of job, depending on your capacity it’ll be 10% office work, 15% lab work and the rest transfer station work (mostly labour), and any combination up to and including 100% transfer station work (unlikely but if you don’t know
  more... how to use a computer... that’s probably it).
The opportunity for you is to learn about the landfill waste management business, how to tell a hazardous waste from a non-hazardous waste. You’ll have the chance to learn to operate a forklift, skidsteer, dump truck (roll-off), fire truck, vac-truck, etc, also get an intro to the office environment and lab work. There may or may not be side projects for you to use your own skills while earning overtime pay (like fixing lab/office equipment, doing special report projects, etc).

The tittle here was facility technician but at the end of the day this position might be more of a labourer than the guy who’s title is labourer. Some of your duties can be sweeping the floor, shovelling snow, plucking weeds, cleaning spills, bulking pails, drums or totes of chemicals, pressure washing bins, fixing things around the facility... etc. You can also be a driver in this position, ideally you’ll have a class 3 license so you can drive the required equipment but there is always someone who can drive it otherwise. Driving truck loads of garbage drums up the landfill can be one of your main duties. Opening drums is mandatory work, checking their content and classifying them according to the best disposal option (which you will be trained to do). Be aware, this job is dirty – smells? Yes. Rotten egg, dust, onion, decomposed stuff, grain, mining metal waste, rocks, sewer material, chlorine, pesticide, herbicide, acids, bases and most of all – petrochemicals and hydrocarbons, you're provided all the PPE and you will be better off using it.

Overall there is hope within the company, however management will resist any attempt for your transfer to another facility unless its an actual move up. In a bull economy it could be quick after the one year (mandatory), otherwise you may get stuck there for many years (three for me).
You’ll learn something here, in terms of training at Riley you will only get what is essential for the job but any extras only the first aid and maybe confined space.
If you don’t have some major chemical knowledge, acquired through experience or schooling I don’t recommend that you apply for this job. Otherwise, I did the job and it kept me employed through the longest economic recession in Alberta’s history.

If I scared you away let me finish by saying that I don’t regret my choices but the taste is definitely bittersweet. I managed to get something better within the company, I hope it is as good as it sounds.
Pros
Steady hours, good supervisors and management.
Cons
No pay raises, long commute.
Overall great
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK30 August 2017
Great staff, great work life balance.
Excellent benefits. Great human resources and supports departments
Great location
Overall an excellent work environment
8 years wasted
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2017
Terrible company to work for. Worked for 2 different divisions and it was the same lies. You work hard after being promised promotions that never come. Raises every 2-3 years and the new guys get paid the same if not more than you do. Boom and bust cycle of work. HR is a nightmare to deal with. Sub standard equipment. If you like just being a number then this is the place for you! Guys on the crew were good though. Clean Harbors claims to care about their employees but they really don't. It's all about money, took away RRSP matching and benefits cost you more and more every year as they take away more benefits. Management has perfected the art of telling you what you want to hear at the moment. Its a dead end job, profits over people everyday of the week. The Clean Harbors way!
Pros
Good guys
Cons
Everything Else
I would prefer a job with stability and room to set goals and grow
Hydrovac Swamper (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 July 2017
Being on call 24/7 with no oncall schedule or pay is less than idea. The starting wage is low but good for a first job out of high school. Otherwise the work you do as a hydrovac swamp we is quite fun, there's health benefits and most of the employees are great ppl to work with
Pros
Lots of days off
Cons
Never knowing when you will word
labor/mixing job
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2017
if this is the same company that bought Eveready in Edmonton, AB, you do not want to work here or for companies like this. CEDA, etc will just use and abuse you. You are expendable to these types of companies and the culture and workplace reflect that. I do not recommend working for this company.
A good hard job hard to come by
laborer operator (Former Employee) –  Mackenzie, BC17 June 2017
The people and company seemed very well arranged and was a pleasure to work there. Left because the bank said the mill was a better income to there eyes.
Pros
good stuff
Cons
on the road
lot of travle
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 June 2017
we travled all over sask alberta an Manitoba stayed in hotel rooms ate bad food the pay was good so where the guys I worked with an the work wasn't bad I got used to it
Pros
traveled all over
Cons
the long drives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Clean Harbors. Our community is ready to answer.