Claire's Employee Reviews

Found 139 reviews matching the search See all 2,897 reviews
Management is a nightmare
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 June 2019
They pull you in with cute things and an amazing pay. But management could care less about you. Also they say that we can refuse a piercing when a child says no without repercussions but that's a lie. They still want you to do everything in your power to pierce. I have seen a child being held down by her parents for an ear piercing as the child is screaming blue murder. Also there training for piercing is not up to standards and they should not be allowed to pierce anymore. Dont waste your time with this company. Go work with a company that stands behind the quality of their product and who actually treat their employees like humans. For this company children arent first. The money is
Pros
Pay and discounts
Cons
Piercing children that withdraw their consent and poor management
I Dont know why 1800- Claires exists?
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC30 May 2019
Call 1800 Claire's to apparently fix any problems you may have as an employee. The harsh truth is the " representatives " at Claire's are trash fam! You can call 6am or 11pm and still get the pre recorded message. You have to leave a name and number to get someone to assist you which can take days for weeks b/c they are helping other people on other lines..yeah right! When I was reached after 4 days the women in the other line was rude and unprofessional. She just called to confirm that I had a valid question, even after leaving a message about the situation haha. I was then transferred the next day to someone who should have been the one to call me back in the first place instead of the rude women. As an employee I would like to feel like a priority. If only my manager knew how to be a manager I wouldn't have to go threw this every time! btw the hours are horrible they make sure that managers get 30-40 hours a week while other employees who need to pay bills as well get as little as 8-14 hours a week. My manager said it's the company's fault they could care less about anyone who is not a Manager or Assistant manger, thanks that means a lot!
Pros
50% off store items, and ear piercing
Cons
Manager, Pay, and the lack of realistic hours for employees
busy
Manager (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB16 April 2019
not enough training and closing was not organized enough
hours for management with salaries were ridiculous
overall this company takes advantage of the people who are people pleasers
Great company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Drummondville, QC12 April 2019
I had a great time working at Claire's. Your days are never the same and you never get bored. Possibilities for advancement. Salary is ok, but could be better.
what i learned
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK2 April 2019
to balance and multitask in a small but friendly place, i have learned how to pierce ears and made new friends. Hardest part of the job was restock, when the boxes came because there wasnt that much room to walk
Pros
discount
Cons
low hours
Only 1 location I’ve been too was good
3rd Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON1 April 2019
It’s actually a horrible place to work. Unless you're in the Vaughnmills location. I’ve been to 3 stores and the only one that is actually worth mentioning is the Vaughnmills location. Vaughn’s location has an AMAZING manager, and work staff. If you’re going to apply to a claires store then go to Vaughnmills.

The store I started off with is in the hillcrest location. The Manager is a joke. Unless your one of her “friends “ you’re going to get yelled at for literally everything. It’s almost like she’s bi-polar. On top of that, if you are her “ friend” then your work load is literally just selling. Where as if your not her “friend “ then your work load in a single 3 hour shift is as follows :
Clean back room
Organize/put away shipment and overstock
Dust and wipe all fixtures
Restock ear piercing unit
Sell and recovery ( picking up the items customers leave around)
Complete a 20 page markdown list
Complete planagram

These are but a few of the tasks the manager will assign someone she’s not friends with. And if you don’t complete these tasks by the end of shift, then be prepared to get yelled at, and to have to complete the unfinished ones, as well as other tasks on your next shift.

The other store Ive worked at was at Promandade. The store is extremely slow customer based wise, and as for the staff, they’re a joke. There’s literally almost no training for this store, and when you tell that stores manager that the previous employee you worked with didn’t train you then the manager gets mad at you saying that “ you’re talking mill of my employees, why would you say
  more... something that’s not true?”

Honestly don’t work for the company unless your a part time student that needs the cash
Pros
Vaughnmills location is/was great
Cons
Everything except Vaughnmills
Good for a temporary job
Assistant Manager & Team Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 February 2019
There are a lot of things to do at work and managements are not much caring. However, you can have fun with customers and you meet so many different people and young people.
Worst experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2019
Management was horrible I want home every day in tears,she always had favorites and I was constantly treated like a thief and that I was the one causing all of the problems in her life and store. Will never recommend working for this company to anyone.
Pros
Cons
No help from DM or AM
a work day
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB19 February 2019
I always looked forward to go into work. Everyone was so friendly and never really got mad even after having asked the same questions a whole bunch of times.
revolving management
District Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia15 February 2019
No stability in senior management
management was always changing
The store managers were over worked
False expectations given by management for delivering results.
To much on the floor tasking for the staff to deliver good customer service.
Pros
Nice stores
Cons
Not enough staffing hours provided for on the floor customer service.
Okay place to work
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2019
I enjoyed the atmosphere and customers. I was very passionate about this job and made great sales quotas and return customers. However, pay was minimalistic, I was pressured or made to feel guilty in order to come into work on days off, and I was hired on part-time and then worked full time hours.
Pros
Talking to kids
Cons
Taken advantage of
Issued a Fake paycheck
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 January 2019
This company issued me a fake paycheck for my last pay. When I called the only number you can call to deal with the problem it took a month to get it sorted out and get my money. The worst part was always being told I had to call 1-800-Claire’s yet when you call you don’t get to talk to a person, you leave a msg and they call you back 4 days later. Also, the lack of training given to staff to do ear piercing is not good enough. Claire’s shouldn’t be piercing ears, it’s not hygienic in ANY Claire’s location, and cleaning things with alcohol wipes is not sufficient.
An upbeat and cheerful environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 December 2018
Having little children come in will always manage to make your day. Ear piercings become a fun way to connect with the people you are piercing. Stock is a little too tedious and time-consuming.
Don't give up your time or sanity for this company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2018
Where do I start?
The only reason assistant managers make $22/hour is because the company believes that amount will keep people around.
Not only do you deal with little kids and teens, but you have to deal with the immaturity of staff.
You get a "manager" who has no idea how to manage. She brags constantly about how great she is, and how great her staff are, but in reality she hasn't got a clue how to be a manager. The only reason she has the job is because the district manager, the regional district manager and herself worked together at a previous company for years together.
She doesn't know how to schedule at all. And, I mean at all. After being with the company for 6 years and being this great manager, she should be able to do a schedule in her sleep.
She refuses to discipline staff, and let them do whatever they choose.
She allows certain staff to be late, and PAYS them for it. Certain staff disappear for 15 minutes before their break, and then go for their break, like nothing happens. This particular staff member snuck out of the store for at least 30 minutes, without telling anyone, and NOTHING happened!! She is consistently late for work, but she seems to be the favorite.
The manager can't figure out technical issues. The perfect example, our till went down....."it has no power" she says, it's dead. Don't touch it. After I go through power cords and such, I follow the cord to the outlet.....IT'S NOT PLUGGED IN!!!!!! She spent 4 hours telling everyone it was dead, no power, but I found the issue in 30 minutes.....after being told not to worry about, worry about
  more... sales.
The store is disgustingly dirty. The microwave provided to us, hasn't been cleaned EVER. It sits on a filing cabinet in which paper towel is permanently stuck from spills and just plain laziness.
The toilet had feces on the rim and down the side of the toilet bowl, and has never been cleaned.

The training sucks. Got questioned by the manager as to why I didn't know how to receive freight...."I've never worked a day in which freight came in, so it's rather hard to learn, due to your perfect scheduling."

It's a JOKE. Staff sit in the chair at the front "greeting" customers. They pout when you make them follow any direction you give them. You might as well give the job to the 3-15 year olds that come in, they would probably do a better job.
Pros
Cons
List is too long
fun environment to work and shop in. the people there are nice and friendly.
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 December 2018
i was working under the table for my mother when she worked there. i helped her with putting away accessories on shelves and racks. helping customers with locating merchandise and answering some questions they asked only ones that i would know though if not i would ask my mother or her co workers.
Fun workplace
Third Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB8 December 2018
I love POG!!! At the store after hours flipping the store. Lots of cool stock. Costumer interactions are great. Confidence building team. Fun employees, great manager. Overall awesome environment
Pros
Awesome coworkers
Cons
Lack of hours
It's an ok place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK8 November 2018
I started at Claire's on July 25th of 2018 and my hours were great until the acting manager started to cut my hours back from 8-hour shifts to 3-4 hour shifts two times a week. for what reason? I have no idea so ever since that has been happening I have been looking for a new job that'll give me better hours. also is not the only one getting treated like this, my coworkers who have been there for 6 months or more have been getting their hours cut back from 8 hours to 5 hour shifts as well.
Pros
Friendly Environment for Some People
Cons
Lack of Hours
global
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Granby, QC19 October 2018
Ce fut un emploi court, car je trouvais que ce travail n'était pas fait pour moi
Pros
horaire flexibles
Cons
salaire
Great Career Opportunity
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2018
Given I had no prior managing experience, the staff at Claire's had took a risk and offered me a great career opportunity. They care greatly about their employees, and offer a secure job placement with career advancement.
Fun place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 September 2018
Working for Claire's was fun. My team was fantastic, my only issue was ear piercing, I was not comfortable doing it and the training is lacking, it should be more than a cardboard "ear" and practicing about 2 times then being told you are now qualified to pierce ears.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Claire's. Our community is ready to answer.