CLAC Employee Reviews

Hard-Working and Dedicated Staff
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON19 February 2019
I've worked for CLAC for 4 years and during that time I have watched our dedicated staff strive for work life balance for all of our members. CLAC provides amazing benefits, pension, vacation time and various other benefits to our members and to staff. The culture at CLAC is amazing and my coworkers are hard working.
Interesting work, great workplace community
HR & Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON18 February 2019
I have had the opportunity to work in a few different roles and departments at this organization. For the most part, I have found the work interesting, challenging and rewarding. The workplace community has been supportive and there have been opportunities for growth and development. The salary and benefits are very competitive. All in all, this is a great employer.
Pros
Workplace culture
Meaningful work with great team
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC15 February 2019
I intentionally sought out employment with an organization that I could partner with their vision and purpose. CLAC has been that place for me. I've witnessed and been a part of the work they do; it's significant, and makes a difference in the lives of everyday workers. Bonus - the team is a great bunch to work with!
Pros
Meaningful work, positive work culture, professional growth, work-life balance
Cons
Advancement can be limited
Works hard for its members - special organization
Communications Director (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 February 2019
Every job is going to have it's challenges but CLAC tries hard to support and lift up its members. Staff are passionate about what they do and care for the well-being of others. Salary, benefits, work-life balance and culture are all good and the staff are very friendly.
Pros
Working on projects that help others
Cons
Hard to please everyone
Productive and fun workplace, with table tennis
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 February 2019
CLAC provides a challenging band exciting place to work. The team environment, where everyone is working togehter and helping each other is great.

Last minute projects crop up all the time. It makes life interesting and makes the job exciting.

There is also table tennis!
Pros
Remote working, team environment, table tennis
Cons
ability to advance varies based on department and management
Not a "union"
Tradesman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On15 December 2018
Horrible organization, does nothing to support workers advancement or address their health and safety concerns in the workplace. CLAC will always side with the employer. I had no expectations in the beginning and left completely disappointed. I would rather work non union and deal with an employer directly than work through CLAC. I don't recommend their organization at all.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this so called "Christian" affiliated so called union
A "union" to keep real unions out of crooked companies.
Sheet Metal mechanic (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON8 September 2018
Company had broken black and white rules within the collective agreement. Ie; parking allowance not being paid, visiting more then one job site in a day via your own vehicle, employing unqualified workers in a red seal trade. This union is a joke. When contacted about about the parking allowance not being followed in accordance with the collective agreement we were told " just do what they say" ...."when the agreement was written we were thinking about the service guys not all the employees". Collective agreement clearly said: 18$ parking allowance per day for all employees.
Poor representation
Journeyman Insulator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 September 2018
Why would a UNION allow a company to harrass an employee sexually and phycologically and then without even talking to employee give them permission to get rid of him the person is totally mentally done with thoughts of suicide. Your not a union or Christian.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Pro company
Great organization, good people, strong commitment to cause
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ON5 July 2018
CLAC is a wonderful organization with a strong commitment to the cause of workers across Canada and the world.
They have experienced tremendous growth which is a testament to the service they provide.
It can be apparent in some teams within the organization that the rapid expansion of the business has not been entirely matched with the organizational structures and managerial know-how.
The compensation, benefits, pension, and additional benefits are excellent and the work environment in many of the offices is lovely and friendly; you really get the sense that you are a welcome member of the CLAC family.
Pros
pension; benefits; close-knit teams/community; strong cause
Cons
unclear management roles; unclear definition of power structures
I wouldn’t work clac again if I had a choice
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 April 2018
Better clac then nothing but I was never really given a choice at the time. Join this or no job that’s not a choice! If the labour relations board wanted to be fair they would have all the reps from different unions standing there and employees get to make there choice.
Pros
Having a job
Cons
It was clac employer friendly union!
union made for employers
Sheet Metal Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2018
This union does not enforce collective agreements whatsoever and is designed with the companys best interest in mind. I would never ever work for a company associated with clac again.
good
Formwork Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 May 2017
good union to work for. your not put on a waiting list and given a number on that list for waiting for work. your resume speaks for its self which is a great idea.
good
Carpenter and scaffolding (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB13 December 2016
very good union ,I had a good time on work and with my co workers , the hardest part of job was highs which we working .the most enjoyable part of work was building
Favoritism
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB13 August 2016
if you're picking orders in acheson, you'll see the high turnover, the management which couldn't manage its way out of a wet paper bag, favoritism, and lack of direction.....this warehouse will be the new Western Grocer. It's a new building but its already in disgusting shape. Be wary
Cons
favoritism
good day
Skyway, Cornerstone, JV Driver (Former Employee) –  alberta canada26 October 2014
management and co-workers are good
hard part being away from family
when its time too go home
Amazing job location, pleasure to work there. The camp needs work
Job Steward (Former Employee) –  Syncrude, Alberta19 September 2013
Up at 5pm on bus by 6 pm start work at 7pm. start the shift with a tool box meeting an a small safety talk then be given work scope and crews for the night. learned how to work safe in an open pit mine. not to happy with management, they needed work. coworkers were great like always there are some you can do without but you take what you get and work with it. hardest part of job was to stay awake during your shift. also not to take short cuts just to get the work done. best part of job for me was seeing all the pieces moved and assembled and operational again. without injury.
Pros
lots of swag
Cons
menu at lodge needed improvement, activities for workers during time off were nil.