CLAC Union

CLAC Union Reviews

Canada34 reviews

Enjoyable place to work, caring work environment.

CLAC has a work environment that allows for staff to manage their own time, this allowed me to accomplish many great things as well as look after unplanned events throughout the day. I was able to learn from my colleagues and create strong relationships, both within the organization and with those I worked with on behalf of CLAC. Our workplace culture was professional and also allowed for good work/life balance. There were many challenges within my role as Program Manager however I enjoyed all aspects of the job. I specifically enjoyed travelling throughout Alberta and Saskatchewan, working with Indigenous communities to provide Pre-Employment programs and help successful participants gain meaningful employment opportunities. I also attended many events across North America representing CLAC and the SIAC, as we continue to work together towards improving scaffold training across Canada, and to ensure that the training is available to both CLAC members and non-members alike. Overall I have very good memories working at CLAC and am proud of all of our accomplishments to date.

Pros

Travel

Good place

Worked to help me advance good courses good times good food free pizza good rooms great service good veichles treat people like peoole not animsls good camp good food

Pros

Breaks

Cons

Not enough work

Insights into CLAC Union

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks

Culture based on Biblical values

Fairness, dignity and respect are the core values for treating employees at CLAC. As a result, it is a collaborative and fun place to work in. Seeing how your job contributes to improve the lives of so many workers is inspiring and satisfying.

Pros

Open communication

Cons

Dealing with difficult situations

Not a Union

Terrible organisation to work. Wouldnt recommend anyone in any trade or other job to work for them. Should be removed from every construction site in Canada

Pros

Cons

No representation Poor management poor salary poor working conditions

Worst management i have ever seen. And i have been on a great deal of sites

I am a pro that has been taken by thier poor management. Be careful. Thier site owners run clac and will not be truthful about any safety violations. They are a weak union that is comfortable in thier office environments. They have forgotten thier roots.

Drive them out of the workplace

Horrible ..... management pets . All trades doing other trades scope of work . They would hire a monkey if they could . The monkey would be able to do anything someone shows him . Then it’s a banana ! Good monkey now go splice a wire for us . Then go do some civil and after that see if you can do concrete or steel . We will show you how to weld too . Give it a try . Good monkey !

Clac

Good working environment Great co workers Training provided Good balance work-life Great schedule Opportunity to advance Good management Work by yourself or within a team

Productive environment, safety focused

CLAC has been a good resource for job search and training. Representation was mediocre: While working on CLAC jobs I could always count on a CLAC steward being present as a worker on the job site (not management or supervision) these workers were generally chosen based on their credentials rather than their loyalty to the company on site, this to me speaks of honesty/good intentions on CLAC's part. However as working conditions worsened and morale went down due to changes made by the hiring companies and clients, the CLAC stewards were powerless. Although CLAC has good intentions, they don't seem to have any actual pull when representing the workers. They are only there as a formality for when workers are dismissed so that on paper proper procedure was followed. Training was decent: CLAC has on-site training and training facilities to make sure workers are ready to enter the job site.

Not a Union!

CLAC calling themselves a union is a very long stretch - They are not anywhere near a union. Don't waste you're time applying to any outfit that dispatches or uses CLAC benefits and go straight to a "real union" where the pay is livable, paid training to achieve full 4 year credits (ie. Red Seal/journeyperson status), and you get benefits that will actually be of use to you and your family. I would not recommend ANYONE to join CLAC.

A typical work day

As receptionist you are responsible to the greeting of customers and overseeing that general office tasks are completed each day. I had some amazing co-workers who really valued their jobs and had incredible work ethics.

Hard-Working and Dedicated Staff

I've worked for CLAC for 4 years and during that time I have watched our dedicated staff strive for work life balance for all of our members. CLAC provides amazing benefits, pension, vacation time and various other benefits to our members and to staff. The culture at CLAC is amazing and my coworkers are hard working.

Interesting work, great workplace community

I have had the opportunity to work in a few different roles and departments at this organization. For the most part, I have found the work interesting, challenging and rewarding. The workplace community has been supportive and there have been opportunities for growth and development. The salary and benefits are very competitive. All in all, this is a great employer.

Pros

Workplace culture

Meaningful work with great team

I intentionally sought out employment with an organization that I could partner with their vision and purpose. CLAC has been that place for me. I've witnessed and been a part of the work they do; it's significant, and makes a difference in the lives of everyday workers. Bonus - the team is a great bunch to work with!

Pros

Meaningful work, positive work culture, professional growth, work-life balance

Cons

Advancement can be limited

Works hard for its members - special organization

Every job is going to have it's challenges but CLAC tries hard to support and lift up its members. Staff are passionate about what they do and care for the well-being of others. Salary, benefits, work-life balance and culture are all good and the staff are very friendly.

Pros

Working on projects that help others

Cons

Hard to please everyone

Productive and fun workplace, with table tennis

CLAC provides a challenging band exciting place to work. The team environment, where everyone is working togehter and helping each other is great. Last minute projects crop up all the time. It makes life interesting and makes the job exciting. There is also table tennis!

Pros

Remote working, team environment, table tennis

Cons

ability to advance varies based on department and management

Not a "union"

Horrible organization, does nothing to support workers advancement or address their health and safety concerns in the workplace. CLAC will always side with the employer. I had no expectations in the beginning and left completely disappointed. I would rather work non union and deal with an employer directly than work through CLAC. I don't recommend their organization at all.

Pros

Cons

Everything about this so called "Christian" affiliated so called union

Fun

A typical day their would be just sorting files and putting clips on it. I didn't learn much since it was just organizing papers in to piles. I love to organize files so it was fun for me

It was interesting working for a Union

Not a lot of room for advancement, enjoyed the time I had there. Amazing group of colleagues, management is not well trained unfortunately. A lot of room for them to grow their work culture into a more positive one.

A "union" to keep real unions out of crooked companies.

Company had broken black and white rules within the collective agreement. Ie; parking allowance not being paid, visiting more then one job site in a day via your own vehicle, employing unqualified workers in a red seal trade. This union is a joke. When contacted about about the parking allowance not being followed in accordance with the collective agreement we were told " just do what they say" ...."when the agreement was written we were thinking about the service guys not all the employees". Collective agreement clearly said: 18$ parking allowance per day for all employees.

Poor representation

Why would a UNION allow a company to harrass an employee sexually and phycologically and then without even talking to employee give them permission to get rid of him the person is totally mentally done with thoughts of suicide. Your not a union or Christian.

Pros

Nil

Cons

Pro company

Great organization, good people, strong commitment to cause

CLAC is a wonderful organization with a strong commitment to the cause of workers across Canada and the world. They have experienced tremendous growth which is a testament to the service they provide. It can be apparent in some teams within the organization that the rapid expansion of the business has not been entirely matched with the organizational structures and managerial know-how. The compensation, benefits, pension, and additional benefits are excellent and the work environment in many of the offices is lovely and friendly; you really get the sense that you are a welcome member of the CLAC family.

Pros

pension; benefits; close-knit teams/community; strong cause

Cons

unclear management roles; unclear definition of power structures

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CLAC Union. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement