CITY OF WINNIPEG Employee Reviews

Don't rock the boat
Parks Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Manitoba1 April 2018
Ambitious people or those looking to do the job right, stay away. Good ol' boys with little education get promoted based upon seniority, not attaining results
It was an extremely fun and rewarding experience
Student Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 March 2018
I worked for the City of Winnipeg, Parks and Open Spaces department during the summer of 2016, and it was one of the best jobs I have ever held.

The work was hard and meaningful, and I was able to sit down at the end of the day and realize how proud of my self I was for working as hard as I did.

The supervisors and foreman at the site, as well as the permanent staff there were all very friendly, and fun to work with. They were understanding about a worker who was either sick or injured, and accommodated them very well. At the end of the year, a couple of the foremen even threw a little going away party for the season and student staff.

Overall a very fun atmosphere and somewhere I would definitely work again!
Pros
Lots of physical work, lots of time outside
Cons
Early mornings.
a place to work for "just anyone"
winnipeg (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2018
Half way decent place to work, the great people move on, some good humans chose to reside, but mostly the incompetent, uneducated and toxic run the show.

If your parents do not already rank I would not consider applying. They do not respect diversity or follow the core competencies depending on which department. You can blatantly see the nepotism in the seniority lists.
Great place
Community Services, Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 February 2018
This was a great place to work. Amazing benefits, there was a littlke bit of tedious work, but it was monday to friday, so the social life was quite easy to have.
good for a first job
Skating Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 February 2018
Its a decent first job but there is a lack of communication which has resulted in us showing up on days where classes had been cancelled on more then one occasion, also since we are contract workers we almost never get payed on time.
Pros
looks good on a resume
Cons
disorganized
Great challenging workplace
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 January 2018
Payroll Timekeeper

- I enjoy working with numbers, and helping staff with their payroll concerns

- Everyone here is pleasant to work with

-The most challenging times would be during payroll year end. But I enjoy balancing the cheques to be correct!
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Union Dues
Great Place
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 January 2018
Lots of repetitive and boring work, but very manageable. Could definitely bring some homework or other work to these jobs and get a lot done. Staff and patrons are generally very friendly.
Could be more productive
Full-time Gardener (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 January 2018
Job taught me new skills but became repetitive. The management was the only part of the job that was not pleasant. Working outside in our city's parks and greenspaces was wonderful.
Pros
Well paying
Cons
Outdated Management
Union. union , union
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2017
If you like union environment and willing to forego a promotion because you are not high enough on the seniority list then working for the City of Winnipeg is a good place for you
Review summary
Form Setter (Former Employee) –  Canada winnipeg mb11 November 2017
This was my first time working with concrete as a carpenter , i caught on quickly as the weeks went on. The process and next steps are key to success ful job.
Enjoyable job being outside all day.
Green Team Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 October 2017
A typical day at work would be picking up garbage in the morning/ afternoon. I would then walk up Academy rd and weed the sidewalk/ flowerbeds. I would check in on shop workers and remove any glass from the sidewalk/road. I worked for 5 hours every day.

I learned how to appreciate nature more than I did before the job. I also learned about how much garbage id dropped every day.

The workplace was very helpful and positive for me.

The hardest part of the job was working outside when it was very hot and humid or when it was cold and rainy. On those days I could only do limited jobs.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to meet new people every day and become more confident.
Pros
Being outside all day
Cons
Too hot or too cold outside
Good employer
Recreation Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 October 2017
Management can be unorganized at times. Advancing up the corporate ladder can be difficult. Wages are fair, and time off is given when necessary. overall, a good employer.
Pros
good wage, hours
Cons
unorganized
Great Staff to work with
CSR Clerk A (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 October 2017
It was a wonderful experience and made life long friends. Great opportunities and positive work environment. Co-workers were great to work with and great Training provided.
Fun, easy going, and respectful place but not what I expected for advancement.
Recreational Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2017
I thought it was a fun place to work but mostly because of the people who patronized the pool gym. It was sometimes a challenge to keep busy as there was not too much to do except clean. I was hoping to advance to maintenance position in the city, but found out that there is not cross over hiring internally to a different department as my department was not the same as the maintenance department. Consequently, when my term was almost done, I took another job with better hours and pay.
great place to be a part of
Learn to Skate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 October 2017
flexible hours, great staff at all times, very accommodating to the school and work life basis. You get to pick your own hours and that's awesome so you can still attend school
A decent summer job
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 October 2017
Its easy and straightforward, however you dont get weekends off. If thats important to you, then this isn't a good job to have. The supervisors are pretty chill too.
Pros
Easy, relaxing, good pay
Cons
No weekends, no breaks
It was fun in the sun
Wadding pool (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 September 2017
Loved to work at the wadding pool and got to be outside and interact with the children and i loved every moment of it!
Management was good and always supportive!
Well paid, but very limited vacation
Instructor/Guard (Former Employee) –  Winnitoba, MB17 September 2017
For a part-time job, there was very little flexibility for time off, but the people were great and so was the pay.
I started off as a swimming instructor, then did mostly guarding shifts.
It is okay
Recreational Technician B (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 September 2017
Work place is okay, no bad comments but it is difficult to move up and grow. I feel like the job I had was basically for high school students, which I was.
Dont reccomend
Lifeguard/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 September 2017
The job was relatively easy, however it was more like a 24/7 job. We would be emailed, text, called constantly. It was exhausting having so many people control you.