CITY OF WINNIPEG

CITY OF WINNIPEG Employee Reviews

Canada129 reviews
If you are looking at getting your foot into the door for a better career with the city, be prepared to wait a long time! There appears to be a lot of job postings but it takes forever for you to advance, as there is always someone with more seniority than you.

Also be prepared for the bullying from supervisors, its not all that great and not always worth the pay.
Working for the City of Winnipeg was a great experience.
There calls we took varied from informing a citizen about the road closure to informing them about the amount they owed on their property tax.
Management is lazy, some can be helpful but rarely as the company works based on seniority and not on skills. Hours are all over the place. They do not accommodate students or daycare. Citizens call all day long to yell at the staff about the city.
Pros
Co-workers are nice
Cons
Random hours
The culture at the City of Winnipeg is very poor with the 3 different departments I worked for in my 8 years with them. It was okay to start there as I gained experience, but felt it was a toxic place that didn't appreciate the employees that are actually there to do a good job. You're put in a box automatically with the majority lazy workers the public talk about. It's frustrating and the City of Winnipeg really needs to restructure the toxic culture it enables in all departments. People are being paid very well, but the jobs aren't being done properly or done poorly. I will never go back to working for an environment like that.
Pros
good pay, easy to do bare minimum and get away with it.
Cons
culture and environment is toxic
Overall it was a good place to work. Problem is pay. Not enough to make a real living. I had a good gaining experience as data processing, and learning new programs. Overal it was good.
The people are very nice and so is the work. HR supports Management. Management at the Indigenous Relations is the most toxic place and directly contributes to the suppression of Indigenous peoples, who work and live for and in the city. You are shamed and the environment is toxic. Employees are bullied and other people but their heads down while it happens.
Best place to work. Second to none Area Coordinator/Manager in the Residential Property Assessment Department. This manager should the prime minister of Canada
Working at City of Winnipeg was a great experience. Management and coworkers were very respectful and collaborative.
Definitely a great place to work in the city.
Was a perfect summer job to work full time while attending school. They provide ample amounts of training to further advance yourself. If I didn't go to school I would have no issue making the City of Winnipeg my career path.
Transit is a great place to work if you are patient and enjoy driving and are organized enough to deal with split shifts for random time and locations. You get lots of home work to do to prepare for next day Route.
It's hard for a few months only, If you have passion for driving, you will get through this easily.

Overall workplace is fun. After your piece of spilt shift, you have calm and peaceful environment for sleep in the meanwhile time for your next shift. It also have liabarary, tv, table football or playing cards etc to pass the time in breaks.

Transit pays well and has a pension and simple benefits.

So Highly Recommended JOB!
People you work with are great the jobs and duties in the city for the most part are easy to accomplish the city is very safety conscience and provide top notch training on ever job to be performed the bad generally management and foreman suck they have been grandfathered in and making your work life impossible.
The best company ever. The management are polite and know their job. I would recommend this job to people up to 21 years old. All I can say is just perfect.
I was the only GIS Tech in my department and was responsible for all GIS-related work. I had a large office, steady work, friendly co-workers, and good pay.
Workload is overwhelming
Stressful, taxing on oneself.

Political interference

Impression of minimal support from senior levels

Good people with a lot of knowledge.
Half of the department has loads of down time and the other does not and can go 11 1/2 hours without a meal break. Yet management is scared of one half of the department and abuse the the other side, to the point of a grievance, It cost the city $11,000 to settle this.
I worked there as a student and the student workers ended up doing way more work then the people who were there working full-time getting all the benefits. It is a good summer job to keep busy when out of school but for the amount of work the students get suckered into they deserve a way higher wage.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Wages for students
One of the best places I ever worked.
Very supportive coordinators and colleagues.

Management was remarkably good.

Incredible opportunity for growth.

Dream come true job.
The City of Winnipeg was a great place to work. As a member of the Union you know your job is secure. Pay is above average and you get gaurenteed raise of between 2.5% to 4% every year. Sometimes twice a year. There was always a chance to advance in the City but typically you'd have to apply for a higher position within a different branch unless one happens to open in yours.
Working as a wading pool attendant is a great summer job. The environment is very uplifting and I enjoyed the experience of maintaining the safety of the wading pool for happy families spending time there during the summer.
fast paced, lots of mechanical work, supervising, driving, using chemicals and biological chemicals, maintaining trucks and equipment, spray equipment servicing, on road maintance, purchasing, credit card statements, using hand and power tools, operating a forklift
Friendly colleagues, learnt about job closing, interview and hiring procedure. Very supportive management. It gets a little busier during a job closing day.