CITY OF WINNIPEG Employee Reviews

Great Staff to work with
CSR Clerk A (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 October 2017
It was a wonderful experience and made life long friends. Great opportunities and positive work environment. Co-workers were great to work with and great Training provided.
Fun, easy going, and respectful place but not what I expected for advancement.
Recreational Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2017
I thought it was a fun place to work but mostly because of the people who patronized the pool gym. It was sometimes a challenge to keep busy as there was not too much to do except clean. I was hoping to advance to maintenance position in the city, but found out that there is not cross over hiring internally to a different department as my department was not the same as the maintenance department. Consequently, when my term was almost done, I took another job with better hours and pay.
great place to be a part of
Learn to Skate Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 October 2017
flexible hours, great staff at all times, very accommodating to the school and work life basis. You get to pick your own hours and that's awesome so you can still attend school
A decent summer job
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 October 2017
Its easy and straightforward, however you dont get weekends off. If thats important to you, then this isn't a good job to have. The supervisors are pretty chill too.
Pros
Easy, relaxing, good pay
Cons
No weekends, no breaks
It was fun in the sun
Wadding pool (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 September 2017
Loved to work at the wadding pool and got to be outside and interact with the children and i loved every moment of it!
Management was good and always supportive!
Well paid, but very limited vacation
Instructor/Guard (Former Employee) –  Winnitoba, MB17 September 2017
For a part-time job, there was very little flexibility for time off, but the people were great and so was the pay.
I started off as a swimming instructor, then did mostly guarding shifts.
It is okay
Recreational Technician B (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 September 2017
Work place is okay, no bad comments but it is difficult to move up and grow. I feel like the job I had was basically for high school students, which I was.
Dont reccomend
Lifeguard/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 September 2017
The job was relatively easy, however it was more like a 24/7 job. We would be emailed, text, called constantly. It was exhausting having so many people control you.
Children
Instructing/Assisting (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 August 2017
working with children is always fun with the city doing many activities and learning new things along with them, they are always excited for whats new!!
Pros
Kids
Rec Tech C (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2017
Very comfortable working environment.
Staff make you feel welcome no matter what circumstance.
Team players.
Organized business.
easy job tasks.
very minimal conflicts with job tasks.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
no cons

Want to know more about CITY OF WINNIPEG?

Ask a question
Recreation Worker
Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 August 2017
I have trained employees for the City of Winnipeg, being that I was employed for several summers. Planned crafts, excursions, games and science activities for summer program with children ages 6-12.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Summer only
I really liked it here
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 July 2017
Wish I could go back.

I was on the research side of the entomology lab, collecting specimens and removing wasp nests, and I loved it. I felt so incredible out in nature, dealing with what I enjoy most--bugs.

Sadly though, life with the City was not to be. As a seasonal position, you had to reapply every year, and HOPE you got in. I was lucky enough to be there 2 years, but by the third I had another job offer elsewhere and couldn't work there. When I reapplied the year after, they never responded to my application.

I've heard that things have changed much in the way of management and how the employment structure is set up, meaning different departments and job descriptions. I would definitely go back to this job in a heartbeat-- if only the City would ever mail me back.
Pros
bugs, research
Cons
early morning or later in the evening, no 9-5 day here.
Challenges
Clerk C (Pay and Benefits Clerk) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 July 2017
With every part time task I accept, I feel like I learn more each day. I enjoy the opportunity to work with people in fun atmospheres.
Hardest part is always learning but that is the challenge. After that it becomes the best part of taking on part time work while working full time.
I have managed having full time work as well as part time work for at least 50% of my career.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Making mistakes while learning
Great company to work for
Labour 2 Utility 2 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 June 2017
Great benefits, learned a lot, gave me trust and independence. My only issue was I was seasonal and I needed a full time job. Great job for students.
Benefits
Cons
seasonal
Safe and respectful work environment
Instructor/ Guard (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 June 2017
Working for the City of Winnipeg in the aquatics department has taught me a lot about how to be a supervisor with staff in the same general age range as myself. This has been a challenge at times because I want to have healthy working relationships with my coworkers where I am comfortable to see my coworkers outside of work, but also be able to know that when I am at work there is a level of respect and boundaries that cannot be crossed in the workplace.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the people that come in the building. At times the patrons can be a challenge, for the most part the children just want to get in the water and have fun, parents want to see there children succeed in swimming lessons, and the seniors just enjoy talking to the staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
promotion opportunities
Wonderful management and coworkers
Clerk A (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 June 2017
Enjoyed this term. Co-workers as well as management were personable, approachable, and very humane and fair. Would never hesitate to accept another position with these kind, hard-working committed employees.
Scrum Master/Agile Coach (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg3 May 2017
Nice place to work. Senior Management and co workers are very cooperative, supportive and colloboartive. I loved working here. I would like to work again here.
Lots of opportunities
Clerk B - Active Net Support Team (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 April 2017
Had to switch jobs due to health condition, they helped me find another job within my department. Excellent support network and great place to grow professionally.
Pros
stability and salary
Cons
can be boring
Enjoyable Employment
Learn to Skate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 April 2017
The City of Winnipeg runs programs that are not only beneficial to the community, but allow students a wonderful work opportunity. The hours are set and the work is extremely rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding Work
Cons
Minimal Hours
fun but uunorganzied
Skating Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 April 2017
Co workers are fantastic, management is nice, however some are a little unprofessional, pay periods are awful, but the work enviroment itself is nice and welcoming