CITY OF WINNIPEG Employee Reviews

Reduce Red Tape
Foreman/ Pool Eng. (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 October 2018
Was an enjoyable position but could become stressful due to heavy workloads and changes in technology. Extremes in heat or cold could be challenging but its fun to work with the staff. Would do it again but not as a supervisor.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Heavy work loads at times
Great job
Building services (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2018
Great pay and benefits fun place to work.nice to have six weeks holidays.nice to work indoors in the cold winter.room for advancement with training provided to the employees.good working conditions and equipment to make my work go smoothly.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Hard work
Fantastic Experience
Building Servicer 1 (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 September 2018
Great Foreman , Great Work environment, Great Work Mates, Just a Great Experience that I will always be thankful to have had the chance to experience! Thank you : J.V and L.S!! For giving me that opportunity!
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Not much chance of advancement if you are old like me..lol..Seriously...No Cons!!!
Drive safely,be friendly,enjoy the people
Trainer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  421 Osborne30 June 2018
I worked at Transit for 27 years. To enjoy the job you have to learn to just drive safe and be friendly. The scheduled time on a route are a guideline. Many factors interfere with being on time. A driver must relax,be composed and friendly under trying circumstances.
I loved working here. Great coworkers. Loved interaction with 99% of the public. The 1% can create issues.
Generally very supportive management. At least when I was there.
The training used to be top notch. Friendly,relaxed, supportive.
Split shifts take getting used to. But u can make them work to your benefit.
If u like to drive and enjoy meeting all sorts of people I say go for it.
Retire with a good pension and benefits.
I loved it there.
Pros
Not stuck in an office. Meet interesting people
Cons
A very small percentage of the public, u can't please.
Not a very productive place of work, but we try to have fun.
Recreational Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2018
I worked in a drop in centre with Inner-City youth, but there wasn't much for us to do with them other than supervise. Most of the time the youth are either shooting hoops, watching a movie or just lounging around.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Not much to do.
Interesting Experience
Utility 3 Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 June 2018
Working for the City of Winnipeg for 3 summers was great for the most part. The second summer I received 2 flat tires while driving a patch of gravel road. Having received no previous disciplinary actions the supervisors removed my driving privileges and stripped me of my seniority.

Receiving a call from the city to go back to work the next year I was reluctant but went ahead with it. Before my first day I was told that i had been let go the previous summer and that i couldn't come back, told I could come back because of a clerical error they had made, then told i was on the "naughty" list for something i had previously done but they weren't sure what it was as they had thrown out my file. I was then relocated to a different branch furthest from where I lived.

The staff overall was very respectful, organized, and hardworking. The supervisors for the most part lacked professionalism, competence, and organizational skills. Some of whom could not read, operate a computer, and would brag of the work they did in the good ol days where they would slash open chemical pesticides into and emptying there contents into ditches while they smoked.
Great work experience
Leisure Guide Winnipeg (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 June 2018
Besides the fact we are not given breaks, the city has given me many opportunities for different employments and has been incredible. The work hours are very flexible and they are very accommodating.
good coworkers
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Manitoba4 April 2018
my coworkers are great but the city will not offer my full time job only annual contracts. The work environment is relaxed and easy. There is no lunch room.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
no lunch room, contract work
Don't rock the boat
Parks Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Manitoba1 April 2018
Ambitious people or those looking to do the job right, stay away. Good ol' boys with little education get promoted based upon seniority, not attaining results
It was an extremely fun and rewarding experience
Student Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 March 2018
I worked for the City of Winnipeg, Parks and Open Spaces department during the summer of 2016, and it was one of the best jobs I have ever held.

The work was hard and meaningful, and I was able to sit down at the end of the day and realize how proud of my self I was for working as hard as I did.

The supervisors and foreman at the site, as well as the permanent staff there were all very friendly, and fun to work with. They were understanding about a worker who was either sick or injured, and accommodated them very well. At the end of the year, a couple of the foremen even threw a little going away party for the season and student staff.

Overall a very fun atmosphere and somewhere I would definitely work again!
Pros
Lots of physical work, lots of time outside
Cons
Early mornings.
a place to work for "just anyone"
winnipeg (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2018
Half way decent place to work, the great people move on, some good humans chose to reside, but mostly the incompetent, uneducated and toxic run the show.

If your parents do not already rank I would not consider applying. They do not respect diversity or follow the core competencies depending on which department. You can blatantly see the nepotism in the seniority lists.
Great place
Community Services, Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 February 2018
This was a great place to work. Amazing benefits, there was a littlke bit of tedious work, but it was monday to friday, so the social life was quite easy to have.
good for a first job
Skating Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 February 2018
Its a decent first job but there is a lack of communication which has resulted in us showing up on days where classes had been cancelled on more then one occasion, also since we are contract workers we almost never get payed on time.
Pros
looks good on a resume
Cons
disorganized
Great challenging workplace
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 January 2018
Payroll Timekeeper

- I enjoy working with numbers, and helping staff with their payroll concerns

- Everyone here is pleasant to work with

-The most challenging times would be during payroll year end. But I enjoy balancing the cheques to be correct!
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Union Dues
Great Place
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 January 2018
Lots of repetitive and boring work, but very manageable. Could definitely bring some homework or other work to these jobs and get a lot done. Staff and patrons are generally very friendly.
Could be more productive
Full-time Gardener (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 January 2018
Job taught me new skills but became repetitive. The management was the only part of the job that was not pleasant. Working outside in our city's parks and greenspaces was wonderful.
Pros
Well paying
Cons
Outdated Management
Union. union , union
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2017
If you like union environment and willing to forego a promotion because you are not high enough on the seniority list then working for the City of Winnipeg is a good place for you
Review summary
Form Setter (Former Employee) –  Canada winnipeg mb11 November 2017
This was my first time working with concrete as a carpenter , i caught on quickly as the weeks went on. The process and next steps are key to success ful job.
Enjoyable job being outside all day.
Green Team Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 October 2017
A typical day at work would be picking up garbage in the morning/ afternoon. I would then walk up Academy rd and weed the sidewalk/ flowerbeds. I would check in on shop workers and remove any glass from the sidewalk/road. I worked for 5 hours every day.

I learned how to appreciate nature more than I did before the job. I also learned about how much garbage id dropped every day.

The workplace was very helpful and positive for me.

The hardest part of the job was working outside when it was very hot and humid or when it was cold and rainy. On those days I could only do limited jobs.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to meet new people every day and become more confident.
Pros
Being outside all day
Cons
Too hot or too cold outside
Good employer
Recreation Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 October 2017
Management can be unorganized at times. Advancing up the corporate ladder can be difficult. Wages are fair, and time off is given when necessary. overall, a good employer.
Pros
good wage, hours
Cons
unorganized