City of Windsor

City of Windsor Employee Reviews

Canada64 reviews
good employer, great people
I enjoyed working for the City of Windsor. Plenty of opportunities for upgrade and education. Ability to bid on many other jobs within the Corporation
Pros
Stability
Cons
on Call
Informative Engineering Environment
Interact with various department within the city of Windsor; pollution control, operations, and legal through various interdepartmental meetings regarding an ongoing project.
Productive and fun place to work.
Throughout my time working at the city it has been an amazing experience for my career and as an individual.

-Training was perfect

-My workload was great

-The people around me are very welcoming
Enjoyable job with minor issues
Fun work environment with minor problems with management especially during night shifts. Training and interview process took a while but was worth the wait as the job was steady.
Inept managers.
HR has no idea what they are hiring as management - allot of favours.

My job was great.

Union executive was terrible and "in bed"with managers to further their own needs.
Great
Great experience working with family respite for children with needs and to help families that need assistance in their daily lives and to help and support
Lots of grass cutting and cleaning
Worked in landscaping department at Ford Test Track over the summer. Activities included cutting grass, picking up and/or taking out trash, setting up soccer nets, maintaining soccer fields and bathroom maintenance. The overall workload was not very heavy. Received training after being hiring.
Excellent
Be punctual and do you,re job and you will be ok. Might have to work outside 24/7 pending on the job you’re seeking , the city is very relaxed atmosphere so basically to what you’re told in a timely fashion and you’re gold
Amazing management, perfect atmosphere for work, staff are friendly and cooperative , all tools r available, if not , they dont mind get u all ur stuff to make ur program successful
Friendly work culture and consistent hourly pay
The City of Windsor provides a welcoming, integrative work environment. The municipality ensures that their employees are certified, trained, and that benefits such as "time-and-a-half" holiday pay are met and applied. If certifications are maintained, the city offers consistent pay year-round, ultimately providing stability for their employees.
Volunteer Experience
I am volunteering for the Snow Angle snow removal program. This program is for the old folks who have difficulty in snow removal. This experience is great.
Excellent work environment.
The City of Windsor's legal department deals with a variety of matters in different practice areas, which makes for an exciting and dynamic work environment.
I can't say much
The job was exciting, it's like slowly dying on the inside. Pay is fantastic, the benefits are fantastic, they even pay for part of schooling 50-100%. If only if management invested in the employees(time and energy). The city needs to mandatory train its staff/people(both employees and supervisors) in the basics of customer service and reinforcing the mission statement and purpose of why we are are here. There is the basic training that is provided on a monthly basis( this is to reduce the risk of an employee getting injured - a vailed attempt to reduce liability, this does not mean anyone cares about you though). The only time you will find out the mission statement is during a performance appraisal, and this will be rushed through in order to rubber-stamp the performance appraisal. The supervisor will go through goals that you want to accomplish - no worries- this won't be looked again in till the following year. The performance appraisal a missed opportunity to connect with the employee and find out what the employees need to be the best that they can be. I really think it could be a great place to work, but there would have to be a top-down overhaul in the culture of the workplace. They are constantly threatening with contracting out, but if you improve the working conditions there would be much greater cost savings because people would want to work harder, feel secure with there jobs and want to do a good job because this is a career and not just a job. Management is constantly worried about liability, this hand-ties the employees' ability to do a better - more...
lousy place to work
they treat you like a piece of garbage no respect for human life the only way to move up is to be a member of the union executive or kiss alot of butt
Can be a fun workplace as part-time
Part-time work with really good pay for the job. Can be fun and exciting teaching children sports, working late-night rentals, and hosting birthday parties. Your shifts will be determined for you and you have little to no say in how often you work.
Fun and nice
Very flexible with hours and the bosses are very nice. It is a pretty easy going workplace but it can get very busy when they are holding tournaments or parties.
productive fun place to work
a typical day at work would be to drive around picking up garbage around the city and ensuring that the place is clean and safe. the most enjoyable aspect of the job is that the full timers are always willing to help
Toxic
Nobody likes their job.
It's a toxic work environment.

It's all based on kissing people's butts.

unless you've worked there for a long time don't look to the union for help, they don't care. They'll take your money though!
Working for the student lottery program
Last summer I was employed with the city of Windsor under the student lottery program. My time here was temporary because I had signed a contract with a termination date prior to beginning my time there. I worked under the environmental and public works division. A typical day would consist of assisting customers with proper instructions on how to safely dump their garbage. Other tasks would consist of getting assigned "calls". A call would be assigned when we were assigned a pickup truck and we would be given a call, which could be a road clean up to collecting the city's barriers in the city trucks. Every day was a different task. Working with the city I gained better customer service skills, as a majority of this job was assisting locals, residing in Windsor.
Lifeguard at the WIATC (Waterpark)
Helped me to be more confident. Gave me good leadership skills.
I loved being around kids! That was the best part of the job. The people I worked with were awesome. It also payed extremely well.

The heat was probably the worst part of the job. It was constantly boiling and extremely humid, especially at the top of the slides. The air is hard to breathe, especially when you're working a long shift. We were also only given 2 days off in the summer, which was very inconvenient for my family (who likes to travel during that time). It was the reason I ended up leaving.
Pros
Kids, coworkers, pays well
Cons
heat/air quality, very little days off
Decent
I enjoyed working at the City of Windsor in various departments. The pay was good, training could have been better in some departments but was not probably because I was a temporary employee. Management was fair and most were pleasant to work for. Learned a lot and met a lot of great people.