CITY OF WATERLOO

CITY OF WATERLOO Employee Reviews

I would definitely recommend that people take up a summer job here. It was fun for the campers and myself. I met a lot of people and got great experience. Overall mad eye a better person!

Collaborative and Fun

Working with the City of Waterloo was a great experience. I always knew what was required of me. If my capacity at the time was not enough to complete my work, there was always resources to help you perform your job to the best of your ability.

Great job with great pay

Work starts early and ends early so you still have plenty of the day left to do what you want. Great coworkers, lead hands and managers are great. The pay is great, as long as you aren't working as a student. This is by far the best job I've had!

Productive and fun, but also stressful workplace

Overall, a great job for someone with little to do over the summer looking to gain great experience. Perfect for a young person starting to jump into the workplace. However, very stressful and extremely fast-pasted.

Pros

benefits, treats/snacks

Cons

long hours, abundance of tasks

Good work environment and even better people

Learned about all different types of projects and programs relating to water. The hardest part of the job was communicating and handling the publics complaints.

Great place to work, great people to work FOR, and WITH

Great place to work...co-workers are respectful, and hard working. Management / supervisors are on the ball...keepin things in order...not chompin on you..but lettin you know whats what...was really respectful / good. The facility is laid out kinda weird, but...it works. Not the highest paying job, but...good experience. Good place to grow into / gain experience as well

Good summer job

Working at the City of Waterloo as a summer job is a great opportunity. It is a manageable workload that is not too strenuous. It involves working outdoors, walking a lot, and being able to maintain safety and a good public image for The city of Waterloo.

Great Place To Work

Working for the City of Waterloo was a great decision. The staff are very supportive and understanding. Pay is minimum wage but it makes sense given responsibilities and duties.

Good Starter job

Fast fasted food environment, learn to prepare breakfast, lunch an dinner meals. Flexible shifts and understanding supervisors. Good for students and young adults

Bad culture

The only reason to work for the city is pay your bills. No room for career advancement and the have always double standard with employees Very directive style They do not trust people to work from home

Jobs at CITY OF WATERLOO

See more jobs

This was a good place to work, didn't have a career path that I was interested in. I wanted to move on to something more challenging in a field I had more interest in.

Perfect place to be a summer student

Being a summer student at The City is amazing. The hours are great and you are surrounded by your peers. Getting to be outside all day is pretty amazing to.

Fun, consistent job with a great team

My experience at the City of Waterloo working under the Waterloo Park branch as an Outdoor Student Maintenance worker has been one of the best work experiences I have ever had. The team there is thoughtful, caring and hardworking. The level of teamwork and communal care and effort made this place very welcoming. Despite being a student worker I was treated with respect. I never felt that I was less than my other exployees and throughout the years working there I was given the opportunity to learn new skills and develop as a person. I would highly recommend working here to anyone. Working outdoors is always a plus as you get to enjoy summer to the fullest.

Pros

Consistent hours, great team members, independence

Recreation employees are worked to the bone for little pay and barely any hours

Mid and upper management expect the employees to schedule themselves and deal with those issues themselves...management rules with an iron fist and will not take feedback well; they would rather find a way to get rid of someone who is willing to speak up and out against management then they would to learn how to change/adapt through cooperation, collaboration, mentorships, etc. Oh and don't ever raise any issues with HR as they will protect their more invested employees at all costs...so no matter what management does or does not do, they will always be protected over you as a front line employee doing all the hard work within the corporation. Also, do not expect to make a lot of money at this corporation nor expect to move up the ladder (when they have done re-organizations of the rec department no movement actually happened as literally it was just a name change for some supervisors, but no front line employees got to move up the ladder). *even when they were supposed to be required to give hours to employees in the summer, the organization and it's management would refuse to schedule employees so it was a constant battle - how can any recreational facility be down hours during the summer months? it makes no sense but because all management goes on holidays in the summer, most if not all facilities end up completely empty so they will not staff you. it's sad that the corporation in the rec department is not run as a business as they depend on tax payer $$$ to save their bums.

Pros

Cons

low pay, ridiculous hours (weekends/evenings but expected to be available 24/7 & 365), nasty management who only cares about themselves, HR will not support you, you will be forced to do things that the unionized employees refuse to do, etc

Rewarding, dynamic public service work environment

This challenging and rewarding job in a dynamic human resources department in a highly collaborative work environment involved working with professional and committed people. Enjoyed the opportunity to build a new human resources team with management expertise in the functional areas. The opportunity to create new programs such as performance appraisal, employee recognition and competency models moved the organization forward by holding people accountable and rewarding good performance and behaviour. A highly unionized work environment was demanding of staff and management.

Pros

Great benefits and working conditions

Cons

High workload for small HR team

Lifeguarding

Great place to work, people are fantastic and partrons friendly. Pay is very low for lifeguarding, though you can pick your hours and it fits perfectly around school. Management is a bit stuck in their ways, but they have been improving in the past few years and accepting feedback. The place has come a long way, but still could be better.

Pros

flexible set hours, amazing co-workers

Cons

management can be micromanagerial / redundant

Fun environment, supportive and helpful co-workers

Co-workers were generally kind and helpful, everyone worked together to get projects done. A typical work day was sometimes slow, but still enjoyable.

Excellent place to work

7am - 3pm with enough break time I learned a lot about gardening and loved it Most enjoyable part of the day was being done work at 3 so you can enjoy the rest of your day

Wonderful supervisor who were very accommodating to my school schedule. The facilities were always very well maintained and i was trained by very competent staff.

Fair

The City of Waterloo was a good organization to work for overall, staff were very friendly and always able to help. However the pay wasn't great and didn't always work well with my other work schedule.

Pros

good staff

Cons

not great pay

Interesting work experience with young children

Everyday was a new experience with a new activity that we would run. I learned how to collaborate and interact with fellow co-workers. The managers were all very nice and they were very good at explaining what we had to do. All co-workers were extremely helpful and showed me the ropes and were very good at communicating. The hardest part of this job was keeping the kids entertained and keeping them focused. The most enjoyable part of the job was making the kids smile and organizing activities that kept them entertained.

Pros

Volunteer hours

Cons

Kids jumping on me all the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CITY OF WATERLOO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement