CITY OF WATERLOO Employee Reviews

Fun, consistent job with a great team
Outdoor Student Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 May 2018
My experience at the City of Waterloo working under the Waterloo Park branch as an Outdoor Student Maintenance worker has been one of the best work experiences I have ever had. The team there is thoughtful, caring and hardworking. The level of teamwork and communal care and effort made this place very welcoming.

Despite being a student worker I was treated with respect. I never felt that I was less than my other exployees and throughout the years working there I was given the opportunity to learn new skills and develop as a person. I would highly recommend working here to anyone. Working outdoors is always a plus as you get to enjoy summer to the fullest.
Pros
Consistent hours, great team members, independence
Recreation employees are worked to the bone for little pay and barely any hours
PFA (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 March 2018
Mid and upper management expect the employees to schedule themselves and deal with those issues themselves...management rules with an iron fist and will not take feedback well; they would rather find a way to get rid of someone who is willing to speak up and out against management then they would to learn how to change/adapt through cooperation, collaboration, mentorships, etc. Oh and don't ever raise any issues with HR as they will protect their more invested employees at all costs...so no matter what management does or does not do, they will always be protected over you as a front line employee doing all the hard work within the corporation. Also, do not expect to make a lot of money at this corporation nor expect to move up the ladder (when they have done re-organizations of the rec department no movement actually happened as literally it was just a name change for some supervisors, but no front line employees got to move up the ladder). *even when they were supposed to be required to give hours to employees in the summer, the organization and it's management would refuse to schedule employees so it was a constant battle - how can any recreational facility be down hours during the summer months? it makes no sense but because all management goes on holidays in the summer, most if not all facilities end up completely empty so they will not staff you. it's sad that the corporation in the rec department is not run as a business as they depend on tax payer $$$ to save their bums.
Pros
Cons
low pay, ridiculous hours (weekends/evenings but expected to be available 24/7 & 365), nasty management who only cares about themselves, HR will not support you, you will be forced to do things that the unionized employees refuse to do, etc
Lifeguarding
Instructor / Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 June 2017
Great place to work, people are fantastic and partrons friendly. Pay is very low for lifeguarding, though you can pick your hours and it fits perfectly around school. Management is a bit stuck in their ways, but they have been improving in the past few years and accepting feedback. The place has come a long way, but still could be better.
Pros
flexible set hours, amazing co-workers
Cons
management can be micromanagerial / redundant
Fun environment, supportive and helpful co-workers
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 May 2017
Co-workers were generally kind and helpful, everyone worked together to get projects done. A typical work day was sometimes slow, but still enjoyable.
Excellent place to work
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 May 2017
7am - 3pm with enough break time
I learned a lot about gardening and loved it
Most enjoyable part of the day was being done work at 3 so you can enjoy the rest of your day
Skate Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 March 2017
Wonderful supervisor who were very accommodating to my school schedule. The facilities were always very well maintained and i was trained by very competent staff.
Fair
Skate Cruiser (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 December 2016
The City of Waterloo was a good organization to work for overall, staff were very friendly and always able to help.

However the pay wasn't great and didn't always work well with my other work schedule.
Pros
good staff
Cons
not great pay
Interesting work experience with young children
Summer Camp Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 June 2016
Everyday was a new experience with a new activity that we would run. I learned how to collaborate and interact with fellow co-workers. The managers were all very nice and they were very good at explaining what we had to do. All co-workers were extremely helpful and showed me the ropes and were very good at communicating. The hardest part of this job was keeping the kids entertained and keeping them focused. The most enjoyable part of the job was making the kids smile and organizing activities that kept them entertained.
Pros
Volunteer hours
Cons
Kids jumping on me all the time
Great staff, very friendly and helpful.
Help Desk Support (Co-Op) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 June 2016
I only worked as a co-op student, however co-workers were very friendly and helpful since day 1. The manager would always take time to teach others that were unfamiliar with the technology.
Great group of people to work with!!
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON3 May 2016
Great working teams! Working with many project stakeholders to shape projects that the community at large is proud of.
Pros
Excellant Job \ Life Balance
Cons
Politics
Good people, not much room for advancement
Council/Committee Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 January 2016
Been here 10 years, love the people and the job, however, there isn't a whole lot of room for advancement and growth. Lately being shut down for more courses
Pros
great staff, decent pay, great benefits
Cons
no room for growth, no room for advancement
Active and welcoming place to work.
Swimming Instructor and Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON14 January 2016
Each day begins with either a swimming lesson or guarding position. Class sizes range from one student for privates to eight students for higher levels. Co-workers are very friendly and easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching students become stronger swimmers overtime. The hardest is solving problems between patrons during public swims.
Busy and pleasant workplace with computer, printers and mail work
Mail and Print Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 August 2015
Great place to gain co-op experience!
Big in numbers and productive spreadsheet tasking.
Overall well organized work place, great atmosphere and plenty of daily tasks to complete!
Assisted employer with small jobs and errands.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Machine jams
clean,full of sporting events and great food
Line cook and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 November 2014
R.I.M park is a clean, comfortable and friendly has a very environment. Management is flexible with the scheduling, there is room to grow in the management department as well as in the kitchen as a Chef. The food is great and the services is consistent.
Pros
free meal each shift
Cons
no specific break times
Friendly working environment
Customer Service Associate, Part Time (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 February 2014
Working within the City of Waterloo is great, the coworkers are very supportive with one another and we all assist in ways possible when needed.
I have learned a lot the importance of effectively making notes of issues and being able to assist customers as well as management as much as possible.
The hardest part of the job is contending with customers who get very short as they are not getting quite what they request/want from a facility for which they pay taxes and feel they should have every right to get what exactly they want.
I really enjoy being able to learn new things regularly, as changes take place with our computer system and the role of Customer Service Representative tends to expand regularly, acquiring effective skills.
I also enjoy very much having interaction with many different personalities from the public.
Pros
Having access to recreation programs (ie public skate, drop in) free
Cons
Sometimes dealing customers who are not liking the answers to anything they ask
Playing politics is required to keep a job
ASSISTANT TO DIRECTOR OF PURCHASING (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 July 2013
Playing politics is required to keep a job.
Favoritism is a big part of culture.
Great non-repetitive job
Parks Department (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 July 2012
Many tasks would cycle over the course of a week so each day was different. I learned how sports fields are rented and maintained, how difficult waste management can be in terms of recycling (lots of room for improvement).
Pros
great work schedule
Cons
low wage