City of Vernon, CA

City of Vernon, CA Employee Reviews

Low morale, limited resources, overworked employees

My experience with working with the City of Vernon was not overly positive. Many positions are not being filled, some 35% are currently not being filled by qualified applicants. The result is, the remaining staff have to pick up the slack and do the positions that aren't being filled. The result is burnt out staff members with low morale. This has been going on for awhile now. I left this corporation and would not recommend this corporation to anybody who wants rewarding long term employment. The only positive thing is, the pay and benefits are great. They pay well compared to many jobs in the Okanagan as overall there are very few companies that pay as well as the City of Vernon.

Pros

good pay and benefits

Cons

Overworked employees and low morale in all departments

Loved my job

This specific job was just offered to me over the phone after past employment with the City of Vernon. I really enjoyed it, I didn’t have an interview for this job although i’m sure most of the jobs for the Cit of Vernon require an interview. I loved working for the city alongside the Bylaws! Probably one of the funnest jobs I’ll ever have!!

Pros

Great training session!

Fun and good Place to work

very good work environment, very fun people to work in and around, interesting things to see and do. Different obstacles everyday and involves you to be outgoing willing to talk to others.

Horrible management and sub standard municipal guards

Worst place to work. Horrible job security and bad morale everywhere. Overworked employees. Horrible managers who don’t care about you, as they are just worried about their own job security. Guards who work in the jail are poorly trained, immature, lazy and all have bad attitudes towards management. Everyone within the city of Vernon knows the jail there is plagued with a very long history of problems with personnel and management. Management in charge of the area don’t know how to properly manage this area yet they are in charge of it. Makes no sense whatsoever but that’s how it is. I would not recommend this position. Too many problems, bad culture negative work environment. No job security. The city is quick to fire people and wait for the law suits to follow. Basically a don’t care attitude management has towards employees. Just lip service non genuine people managing there. Lots of backstabbing and gossip high school environment.

Pros

Excellent pay pension and benefits

Cons

Horrible managers running the place

Lifeguarding

My experience with working with the City of Vernon was indeed a positive experience. Protocol and duties were straight-forward, and flexibility of hours was exceptional. Management was negotiable, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed being an employee of the City of Vernon.

Pros

Flexible hours

Productive, fun and professional

Typical day at work employees were very accountable of there work and the employees were very professional and friendly. It as an enjoyable place to work enjoyed the environment and atmosphere.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Some locations are a ways from amenities.

Good workers, but disconnect between mgt and crews

Advancement very difficult unless you are a true 'yes' person. People tend to work for their pensions more than anything else. Previous CAO held grudges and prevented advancements even when others' qualifications surpassed the incumbent's.

Pros

Good hours of work

Cons

Job postings made specifically for individuals chosen by mgt ahead of time.

Used to be wonderful.

At one time it was a wonderful place to work with great morale. The job itself was challenging but never would I miss a day for any reason. Times change with new self involved managers reinventing the wheel. Not all managers are created equal beware of those who dictate instead of collaborate.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Self involved Management ruined morale.

Concession at Kal tire place

A typical day at work consists of; opening the concession by stocking the fridges, turning on the grill and other machines for food and stocking the burger station with freshly chopped vegetables. I would turn on the P.O.S system, count the money in my tills bag and put it into the till. Me or a coworker would put the hot dogs on to cook and pop popcorn. During the Hockey season I would work with 4-5 other coworkers because that is our busy season but most of the year i work alone or with one other coworker. The concession is small so there isn't a need for a lot of staff on the floor unless it is very busy. When closing the concession clean up is pretty practical and quick (when working with the right people). Clean up all stations, refrigerate necessary items, do dishes, close till and cash out and sweep/mop the floors. With this job along with others I learned to work well with a team and communicate during a rush. This job surprisingly has taught me a lot about customer service and dealing with aggravated customers. For example, I had a lady become quite annoyed that we only had white milk one time. Management at Kal tire place is awesome. My boss is very reasonable and easy to get along with. I am glad to work at a place with such nice people. The job itself isn't hard at all. My co workers are awesome and close in age with me, management is great and i enjoy the rush and being busy in the winter. But If i had to pick to most difficult part I would say sitting alone during the off season during slow local games can be a little difficult. I am the type of person -

Jobs at City of Vernon, CA