CITY OF VAUGHAN

CITY OF VAUGHAN: 75 Employee Reviews

Canada75 reviews

citystaffexperiencecoworkersfunenjoylearnedgreat

Great place overall

Happy to come to work and enjoyed the workplace and who I worked with. Like any job there were certain things especially cause I was new, like getting days off. They do not pay for training either.

People were great to work with. Directors and above were more interested in themselves and setting unrealistic goals.

Could have been a great success story but staffing changes were too frequent. Top talent was either released or left on their own. They were headed in the right direction and still have solid management in place should they choose to stay. Great opportunities exist under a competent leadership.

Insights into CITY OF VAUGHAN

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager

good

good and nice very fun and good Vaughan is a city in Ontario, Canada. It is located in the Regional Municipality of York, just north of Toronto.Is Vaughan a nice city?Vibrant, Family-Friendly NeighbourhoodsWith schools of every type (private schools, french-immersion public school, English public school, and religious-based education), recreation centres and parks, and plenty of family-friendly activities to keep your kids busy, Vaughan is an excellent city for families.

Great!

The job is awesome. I really liked working with the people as a lifeguard/swim instructor, they were all great. Lots of paid in-service training and staff socials.

It’s a mixed bag.

There can be a strong culture of friendly people who work together. But unfortunately this can sometimes be lost in a continuous turnover at the management level so there is no real consistent vision being executed.The city as a whole needs to improve its management staff and develop better pay for its non union staff.

No room for advancement

Unless you know someone, are apart of the boys club or brown nose your way in there, there is no your going to get full time. There are people there that have worked for them for 10+ years and have not got full time.On top of all that they pay on the lower end for municipal work. There's no benefits package, and they expect you to work the full duration of your contract without any days off. They make us pay Union dues every paycheck but the union doesn't do anything for us. They think they're doing you a huge favour by employing you (yes I understand jobs can be hard to comeby these days) but in reality they would crumble without any of their temp workers.The equipment is dated, they keep so many old trucks instead of retiring them and getting new ones, they use farming equipment for plowing the sidewalks. Maybe if they stop handing out 150k+ jobs like candy and invest it back into their workforce it wouldn't be so bad. I was there for 5+ years and it has just gone steadily down hill every time I went back.It's probably really easy to get in there now, since they lose all of their good workers one way or another. My suggestion is use it as an avenue for something better, or what I would really suggestion is look elsewhere entirely.

Pros

Can be lax at times, can work unsupervised

Cons

Pay, no benefits, uniun will not help temporary workers, management hasn't got a clue.

Leadership can't decide on a direction

Life at the City of Vaughan is a revolving door. Senior leadership keeps changing - if not the actual people, then the ones who stay change their minds and instructions all the time. It makes working there feel chaotic, unprofessional, and if you're not part of the "in" crowd, you'll get thrown under the bus in a heartbeat.It's too bad. Some people and departments try really hard to do good work, but senior leadership always manages to ruin everything. There's a huge gap between how great Vaughan could be, versus how it actually is.

Pros

Pay is higher than average

Cons

Staff turnover, poor management, you're either in club or you're nobody

Treated as an equal

They knew I was a co-op student and I was there to learn, but they still treated me like I was an integral part of their workforce. This allowed me to really get the hands-on experience I was looking for from the work-term.

A rewarding job with excellent management.

I have been very pleased to work with excellent coworkers and managers. The job is also challenging but very rewarding. I plan to continue working here for the rest of my career.

Great work to get started in the field

I had a great time here, it was a fun job where I could meet people and learn about the profession of fitness and exercise. I liked this job and the work, my only complaint is that they should have had online group meetings as I missed a mandatory meeting on the weekend due to sleeping in and a long commute, so I lost the job.

Pros

Fun, can work out (though frowned upon), great experience, wide variety of tasks, independence and accountability, great coworkers and management

Cons

Political nonsense, and inflexible policy.

Great Opportunities

Once you’re employed with the City, you’ll have countless opportunities to move throughout the department and even into other departments. You can apply internally to other jobs. Compensation is excellent and you’ll meet a lot of really great people. Can be tricky to get in, but keep an eye out.

Pros

Great people, excellent compensation, lots of opportunities.

Great staff members and fun environment to work

I was a fitness counselor, personal trainer and group fitness instructor and enjoyed working in all areas. The members at the gym make it such a pleasant experience.

Poor experience

They only hire family members or people they are really good friends with. Which I understand a private company doing But Not a city. There is never full time job opportunities.

Only good for full time employment

If your hired as full time employee, as almost every city jobs are, you do bare minimum and get paid maximum. If you are part time or contract worker, city will pay minimum and try hardest to save money and take advantage of you.

Pros

Good life/work balance

Cons

You will easily find private employer who will pay double your rate.

Productive and Enjoyable

As a lifeguard, I monitored pool-related activities closely throughout shifts and identified any safety issues. Directed swimmers out of the pool in hazardous conditions and assisted patrons when necessary. Also as a swimming instructor Planned and effectively organized class time for maximum practice, through weekly lesson plans. Taught important swimming and water skills. Ensured the safety of students by maintaining constant watch and enforcing pool rules. Learned the ins and outs of the pool, certain procedures pertaining to closing and opening of the pool. Co-workers were helpful and were effective at communicating. Enforcing rules and dealing with patrons was the hardest part of this job. The most enjoyable part of this job is the community. Management was relaxed and attentive to any situations happening.

Great Management

The city of Vaughan provides excellent training and orientation for their employees. They have yearly meetings to check-in with their program providers. Their recreation and facilities management team are great at following up with concerns and resolve problems in a timeline manner.

Slow paced, minimal supervision

If you like laid back work environment. This is the place to be. Code reviews were non existent. Most "Developers" didn't know what they were doing. Easy job with high pay.

Productive and fun workplace

I was given the opportunity to work within my community and gain experience working with children. I got to work with a group of great coworkers that I have built strong relationships with.

Volatile place, jobs don't last long

Too much politics. No proper review process or attempts to assist you. Swimming with sharks. Somewhat cult like. The building is nice and convenient to have a fitness facility there.

Well organized company

great people to work with and very competitive. always have to be on time for when you are scheduled to umpire baseball game in order to do meeting with coaches

Great Salary

This company pays very well, but they need to start promoting from within if they want to keep their high performing staff. Lots of younger people leave.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CITY OF VAUGHAN. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement