City of Vancouver Employee Reviews

Safe clean shop.
Shop Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 November 2018
I was only for a short time, but I enjoyed my time there. Everyone was really friendly and everyone cared about their work. The shop is clean and easy to navigate. All instructions were clearly explained and help was available when it was needed.
Great People, great future
Application Deployment Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 November 2018
Best part of working at the city is the people, thoroughly enjoyed my time there and with the new CIO the future in IT is very bright, she is very forward thinking and empowering and was a long overdue improvement to the IT at the City of Vancouver
Challenges
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 October 2018
I love my job but when a nasty person is at the counter it makes it very challenging at times to try and help when they don't want to listen.

My own desk means that I can have my canuck shrine open to the public.

Working as a team!!!
Pros
Working on puzzles, close to shopping, nobody clock watching
Cons
Would like team support
Opportunity
Exempt Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2018
My 38 years working with the City of Vancouver (COV) provided me with both a Career and Education that allowed me the opportunity for personal growth.

I worked in an environment that allowed me to create a Special Events Group that serviced all events within the Vancouver area. I also was given the opportunity to partnership with my employer and create a Matrix of Sanitation/Street Cleaning/Special Event servicing that has been adopted by all of Metro Vancouver.
Pros
Access to many of resources and opportunity
Cons
Working within a Municipal government is a slow process when developing new ideas
Swimming Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 September 2018
Aquatics Department (Lifeguard/swimming teacher Review)
I work in Aquatics and genuinely believe that the city of Vancouver is a fantastic place to work. The city pays their lifeguards a great wage and treats their staff with respect. That being said, it's hard to get shifts as it's based on seniority. Shifts are short and there is a lot of teaching shifts. The downside of teaching shifts is being in the water for 4 hours or more and having a ton of classes back to back (You get super cold). Sadly there are not a lot of guarding shifts when you start out. HANG IN THERE, it gets better as you build up your hours
Pros
Great pay in the aquatics department
Cons
Not a lot of shifts/too much time in the water
Excellent overall employer
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 September 2018
I worked for City of Vancouver for 16 years. They are a pretty good employer that provide good opportunities and a dynamic working environment. Supportive overall leadership with good mentorship. Excellent experience.
An opportunity
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2018
It was an opportunity to do a relatively simple data/statistical analysis research for the City of Vancouver. It was a good experience of a team work at IRES, UBC as well.
Pros
Fair Income
Cons
It could be extended to bring more benefits for CoV, but they stopped.
decent
Backhoe operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 May 2018
overall a safe and reliable job, with a decent salary. you will learn new tasks and receive excellent training. fun to work and overall good employees work here.
city of vancouver
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 May 2018
this is such a good place to work.
everyone that i've met was so friendl, if I didn't move provinces I would of stayed for life !
if I ever come back I would def come back !
Overall, the work was interesting.
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 February 2018
The culture of this organization can be daunting at times but overall, it was a good place to work.

Advancement is difficult and a vast majority of personnel are working on a contract basis so there is not a lot of job security.
Great Place To Work
Civilian (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 December 2017
They will help you succeed at whatever goals you set for yourself! From Admin Assistant to Management, you can reach whatever career level you choose!
City of Vancouver
Seasonal Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 October 2017
Working for the City of Vancouver was a great experience, I learned a lot of different things I never know before. I learned how to build sidewalks, where the wiring for all the overhead lights like intersection lights is and lastly how to pave roads with asphalt.
Pros
The wage
Cons
The 6 month probation period
Enjoyable work environment - issues with management
Theatre Attendant II (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 August 2017
My colleagues and our patrons make our work environment amazing!
Every day is different and always includes customer service whether at the bars or in-house.
Unfortunately, we had a change in management a few years ago which could have been a great thing but has been a serious struggle, especially for those working on the management team.

As I am not on the management team, I thoroughly enjoy working there.
Pros
Union wages, enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
inconsistent hours, extreme availability requirement with no guarantees
Fantastic people
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 August 2017
During my entire tenure with the City I've collaborated and have had the opportunity to work along skillful professionals who were always eager to guide and assist at moments when support felt dire.
Perfect first experience for the City
Administrative Coordinator - Clerk - Payroll (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 July 2017
A laid back office atmosphere, busy schedule and great professionals at work, very helpful and understanding. flexible with my needs and gaps, called me back to work again with them.
Pros
early start early out
Cons
tedious and repetitive
One day job.
Registration Officail (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 June 2017
I worked at the Vancouver Municipal Election. It was a good work environment. It was only one day of work. It was a long day, but it was a fun and new experience.
Awesome workplace.
On-call Food Service Worker (Dishwasher) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 June 2017
The workplace is lovely with caring co-workers who are always there to help. It is a very casual environment which as a new staff member, I feel at home on my first day at work.
UMW (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2017
Good job security and salary. Take care of their employees. Union job. Flexible working hours. Provide good safety working environment. Fun working atmosphere.
workout area
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2017
great place to to work, beautiful city to work in,great wages, paid time off vacations, surrounded by great people, full benefits and great work environment
Pros
workout area
Cons
no cons at all
Fun interactive place to work
Green Team Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 April 2017
Everyone works together as a team. The training is amazing. I have never experienced such a supportive work environment. The atmosphere is very positive.
Pros
working downtown van
Cons
answering calls fro angry citizens