City of Vancouver Employee Reviews

Swimming Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 September 2018
Aquatics Department (Lifeguard/swimming teacher Review)
I work in Aquatics and genuinely believe that the city of Vancouver is a fantastic place to work. The city pays their lifeguards a great wage and treats their staff with respect. That being said, it's hard to get shifts as it's based on seniority. Shifts are short and there is a lot of teaching shifts. The downside of teaching shifts is being in the water for 4 hours or more and having a ton of classes back to back (You get super cold). Sadly there are not a lot of guarding shifts when you start out. HANG IN THERE, it gets better as you build up your hours
Pros
Great pay in the aquatics department
Cons
Not a lot of shifts/too much time in the water
Excellent overall employer
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 September 2018
I worked for City of Vancouver for 16 years. They are a pretty good employer that provide good opportunities and a dynamic working environment. Supportive overall leadership with good mentorship. Excellent experience.
An opportunity
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2018
It was an opportunity to do a relatively simple data/statistical analysis research for the City of Vancouver. It was a good experience of a team work at IRES, UBC as well.
Pros
Fair Income
Cons
It could be extended to bring more benefits for CoV, but they stopped.
decent
Backhoe operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 May 2018
overall a safe and reliable job, with a decent salary. you will learn new tasks and receive excellent training. fun to work and overall good employees work here.
city of vancouver
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 May 2018
this is such a good place to work.
everyone that i've met was so friendl, if I didn't move provinces I would of stayed for life !
if I ever come back I would def come back !
Overall, the work was interesting.
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 February 2018
The culture of this organization can be daunting at times but overall, it was a good place to work.

Advancement is difficult and a vast majority of personnel are working on a contract basis so there is not a lot of job security.
Great Place To Work
Civilian (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 December 2017
They will help you succeed at whatever goals you set for yourself! From Admin Assistant to Management, you can reach whatever career level you choose!
City of Vancouver
Seasonal Labourer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 October 2017
Working for the City of Vancouver was a great experience, I learned a lot of different things I never know before. I learned how to build sidewalks, where the wiring for all the overhead lights like intersection lights is and lastly how to pave roads with asphalt.
Pros
The wage
Cons
The 6 month probation period
Enjoyable work environment - issues with management
Theatre Attendant II (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 August 2017
My colleagues and our patrons make our work environment amazing!
Every day is different and always includes customer service whether at the bars or in-house.
Unfortunately, we had a change in management a few years ago which could have been a great thing but has been a serious struggle, especially for those working on the management team.

As I am not on the management team, I thoroughly enjoy working there.
Pros
Union wages, enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
inconsistent hours, extreme availability requirement with no guarantees
Fantastic people
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 August 2017
During my entire tenure with the City I've collaborated and have had the opportunity to work along skillful professionals who were always eager to guide and assist at moments when support felt dire.
Perfect first experience for the City
Administrative Coordinator - Clerk - Payroll (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 July 2017
A laid back office atmosphere, busy schedule and great professionals at work, very helpful and understanding. flexible with my needs and gaps, called me back to work again with them.
Pros
early start early out
Cons
tedious and repetitive
One day job.
Registration Officail (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 June 2017
I worked at the Vancouver Municipal Election. It was a good work environment. It was only one day of work. It was a long day, but it was a fun and new experience.
Awesome workplace.
On-call Food Service Worker (Dishwasher) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 June 2017
The workplace is lovely with caring co-workers who are always there to help. It is a very casual environment which as a new staff member, I feel at home on my first day at work.
UMW (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2017
Good job security and salary. Take care of their employees. Union job. Flexible working hours. Provide good safety working environment. Fun working atmosphere.
workout area
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2017
great place to to work, beautiful city to work in,great wages, paid time off vacations, surrounded by great people, full benefits and great work environment
Pros
workout area
Cons
no cons at all
Fun interactive place to work
Green Team Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 April 2017
Everyone works together as a team. The training is amazing. I have never experienced such a supportive work environment. The atmosphere is very positive.
Pros
working downtown van
Cons
answering calls fro angry citizens
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 April 2017
Work life balance and good benefits. Lots of different activities to become involved with. Pleasant co-workers that work hard and get a lot accomplished.
Pros
People taking pride in their work.
Cons
None.
Interesting environment with much to offer
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 February 2017
Interesting projects and sets of technologies to work. Many different business units to work with, with different requirements and challenges. Good environment and people.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Rink Attendant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 January 2017
A typical day working at the City of Vancouver involves interacting with the public who use the rink facilities as well as working together with coworkers to maintain the skate shops at the city rinks. We are also there to ensure everyone is safe in participating in skating and lessons.
Fun Workplace and Great Staff
Program Assistant II, Cashier, Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 December 2016
Great place to work learned a lot from my colleagues. Understood the true meaning of Community and what it brings to people of all ages and the impact it has on everyone.