City of Vancouver, BC

City of Vancouver, BC Management reviews

Canada81 reviews
- highly detailed work that requires consentration and accuracy throughout the day.

- I have learned a great deal about Property Taxes in Vancouver.

- Management are very approachable and open to hear any suggestions you might have.

- It can get a little stressful with customer complaints about their taxes but we always bounce back and work together as a team.

- unhappy customers

- doing my job accurately and keep buing my desk up to date.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
extreemly busy during tax due dates which can lead to longer hours
toxic workplace causing a lot of politics and worker illness
high turnover rate.

Management is inept
management is incompetant
Workers are dirtbags all born in a barn

a lot of harassment

a lot of discrimination
Pros
pension
Cons
mental stress
This could be an amazing place to work because of the staff and environment but union attitude and management seem to stifle staff attitudes. But the staff is great and their comrade wry keeps them going
Pros
Great people and shows good hourly pay
Cons
Never a set time off
Implementing change management for electronic records. Introducing new file structure, naming conventions and standardized spelling. Consolidating information from different locations into one.
Great place to work and good processes in place for most areas. Some opportunities to progress. Helpful colleagues and generally good management. Good worklife balance.
Great place to work. Pleasant work environment and good package. Supportive colleagues. Good work-life balance. Management is generally open and understanding.
highly unionized workplace. decent salary and benefits. secure place to work with a decent pension. nice coworkers and strong leadership and management team
Keeping in mind my day started at 2 am.I would open the building and start right away we had three floors to clean .By 6.30 the building would open so all the important stuff had to be cleaned.The bad part about the job was such an early start.Most enjoyable part was leaving early.Good management always keep me in the loop.I liked it because I was responsible for bsw. work.
Great employees, great management.. great benefits .. will be keeping this job for a long time!
Work around your schedule and a fun and positive work experiences at the Civic Theatres
This is a terrible place to work for managers are lacking basic knowledge of how to treat staff if you are a lucky soul They will treat you Well until the are ready to spit you out, very nasty organization was very surprised they acted the way They did, so glad I left very toxic environment, union cupe is a joke as well.
left this position due to cultural unsafe work environment. I have nothing further to add regarding this. Its a unionized environment so filing a grievance is an option to address any employment issues that arise
The city of Vancouver is the worst company in the country to work for. Don't ever work for them. They do not care about you or your family and will abuse you until you quit.
Graveyard shifts were good to work. good staff and management . most enjoyable part of the job you work at your own pace and no one breathing down your back to finish .
Culture of workplace hostility. Promotion or career advancement based on lack of ethics and morality, not individual merit. A system of cronyism and nepotism to insulate management from taking any accountability.
They always say they're transparent with their employees but they're not. Toxic environment. They don't like employees who go above and beyond because it makes the rest of them look bad who are only there to put in their pensionable time. That's why it takes forever for the City to get things done. Managers try to rule by fear and not by knowledge.
Pros
pension
Cons
people who have no idea what they're doing
They will help you succeed at whatever goals you set for yourself! From Admin Assistant to Management, you can reach whatever career level you choose!
My colleagues and our patrons make our work environment amazing!
Every day is different and always includes customer service whether at the bars or in-house.

Unfortunately, we had a change in management a few years ago which could have been a great thing but has been a serious struggle, especially for those working on the management team.

As I am not on the management team, I thoroughly enjoy working there.
Pros
Union wages, enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
inconsistent hours, extreme availability requirement with no guarantees
Lame management. Advancement is minimal at best. Nepotism is very high. No regard for skill or previous experience. It's who you know and who 'likes' you.
Senior managers are the problem in the City. They have the 1970 mgmt. style and have spent hundreds of thousands in severances because of incompetence
Pros
Great people
Cons
Poor 1970 style mgmt GMs up to City Manager
Well i work 7.52hours a day and have been working for the city of Vancouver since 2008.
Everyday at work is a learning curve. There is always a new accident, or union matter or a national safety code compliance issue.

My management is extremely knowledgeable and supportive.
My team is very easy going and a fun environment. We all support each other.

The hardest part of my job is i live 1 hour away.

The enjoyable part of my job is the opportunity for me to meet and get to know all the managers and directors of the city of Vancouver. Also to learn about risk management which is connect to my department.
Pros
positive people and opportunity to learn and grow.
Cons
only two females work in my department
Easy and fun transition into the work place.
Management were understanding and always willing to help you grow.
Pay was great with many perks.
Pros
Plenty of in house benefits
Cons
Repetitive work