City of Vancouver, BC

City of Vancouver, BC Employee Reviews

Demanding and Rewarding

Physical hard work was good to start and as you prove yourself you get opportunities. You only get so far there it was an old boys club and rampant nepotism.

Pros

Excellent benefits and RRSP matching

Cons

Nepotism and "old school culture"

Productive and enjoyable place to work, good opportunities for advancement

Productive and enjoyable respectful work place, supported and respected by upper management, a great place to work, good opportunities for advancement.

Pros

Respectful and enjoyable working environment

If you're educated and ambitious look else where

They prefer hiring external candidates so don't expect to be able to move into a different position that suits your qualifications and career goals. If you are educated you can find way better jobs with higher salaries outside.

Pros

easy job

Cons

useless experience, lots of politics, no opportunities for advancement

A great place to work

A warm and welcoming environment to work in with amazing coworkers and fellow patrons. The working hours go by fairly quickly and one will enjoy coming to work.

Great Place to work

Great place to work, it had changed over the years became more streamlined, it is unionized, so there is not much opportunity for overtime and when you do have the opportunity it may be applied to your vacation or time off.

friendly evironment, fast paced, continuous learning of Property Tax

- highly detailed work that requires consentration and accuracy throughout the day. - I have learned a great deal about Property Taxes in Vancouver. - Management are very approachable and open to hear any suggestions you might have. - It can get a little stressful with customer complaints about their taxes but we always bounce back and work together as a team. - unhappy customers - doing my job accurately and keep buing my desk up to date.

Pros

working as a team

Cons

extreemly busy during tax due dates which can lead to longer hours

toxic workplace

toxic workplace causing a lot of politics and worker illness high turnover rate. Management is inept management is incompetant Workers are dirtbags all born in a barn a lot of harassment a lot of discrimination

Pros

pension

Cons

mental stress

the Human Resource department is very dysfunctional

Top heavy with a lot of managers that don't seem to do anything, and the Engineering and HR department both have a team of Safety Specialist, yet none are encouraged to practice their specialty and with limited field safety, so not sure what 9/10th of them do? Lots of issues working here, people with a strong work ethic need not apply.

Very secure job

Great place to work , lots of room for advancement however goes by seniority so it may take a while. Living wage is not sustainable for Vancouver living. You start at the bottom if you get hired into street operations department so expect to use a wheel barrel and w To work hard

Great way to get involved

Working during the 2018 Civic voting season was hectic but I was able to meet new people. The hours were quite long but we were given adequate breaks.

Supportive and respectful work place

colleagues are very supportive and self motivated. manager is very flexible and good listener. remote work is available twice a week if the position is IT related or office work. good benefits. systems are bit outdated.

Pros

good work colleagues and manager

Cons

outdated systems

Good people

This could be an amazing place to work because of the staff and environment but union attitude and management seem to stifle staff attitudes. But the staff is great and their comrade wry keeps them going

Pros

Great people and shows good hourly pay

Cons

Never a set time off

Transformational Change

Implementing change management for electronic records. Introducing new file structure, naming conventions and standardized spelling. Consolidating information from different locations into one.

Great place to work and good processes in place for most areas. Some opportunities to progress. Helpful colleagues and generally good management. Good worklife balance.

Collaborative work environment

Great place to work. Pleasant work environment and good package. Supportive colleagues. Good work-life balance. Management is generally open and understanding.

Great experience

I’d love to keep working for city of Vancouver because it’s fun to work with nice co-workers and also reasonable paycheques Only thing I struggled during work was that I had to wake up early like 5-5:30am

Productive Fun inclusive fair open honest

Great , awesomeness, terrific, fair,, organized, fun, wonderful life long friends, stressful but rewarding. Inclusive, hard work pays off. All access to community facilities

Positive atmosphere

I learned quickly that it was fast paced using both telephone and computer systems to handle citizens questions with attention to detail and correctly responding.The work atmosphere was always positive. Co workers and superiors were always willing to help and easily accessible to ask for assistance. Hardest part of the job may have been building the confidence to speak with authority. I gained a lot of knowledge about how municipality's operated. I enjoy the daily challenge of resolving customer inquiries.

Secure workplace

highly unionized workplace. decent salary and benefits. secure place to work with a decent pension. nice coworkers and strong leadership and management team

I was to busy ,it was demanding on me.But always keep busy.

Keeping in mind my day started at 2 am.I would open the building and start right away we had three floors to clean .By 6.30 the building would open so all the important stuff had to be cleaned.The bad part about the job was such an early start.Most enjoyable part was leaving early.Good management always keep me in the loop.I liked it because I was responsible for bsw. work.

Great job

Great employees, great management.. great benefits .. will be keeping this job for a long time! Work around your schedule and a fun and positive work experiences at the Civic Theatres

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Vancouver, BC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement