City of Vancouver, BC
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

City of Vancouver, BC Employee Reviews

Canada89 reviews

stable and work/life balance is good

Usually it takes time to get a permanent job and it is competitive. you will be eligible to get a benefit after 1 year of service. Job stability/ work life balance is good

Most jobs require a teamwork effort

The City of Vancouver is a great place to work. It allows their employees to develop skills and knowledge through on the job training and outside courses, if they wish to do so.

An excellent place to work. Good pay, great benefits, and nice people to work with. There are many jobs and opportunities available. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

good pay, great benefits, understanding culture, and they care about sustainability

Cons

hmmm, there is some red tape, procurement can take a while

Good place

Good work, good supervisor, good coworkers, good environment, opportunity for advancement if you want to upgrade yourself. Everything is okay with me.

Cons

Sometimes it is stressed, and some rumours from your coworker, so you need to look at the problem from different perspectives to understand it fairly

Great company to work for. Lots to learn. Lots of room for advancement. Job security with benefits.

Very professional company to work for. Training is provided and safety is top priority. Coworkers are good people. I felt the salary was good. A company I highly recommend working for

Pros

Room to advance in the company. Training provided. Pension and benefits.

Cons

Working outdoors when it’s raining

Good great place to learn and understand more about the city and what it has to offer

Very good place to learn and become a more understanding person with the vulnerable population pay is great and the people involved are very fair and optimistic provides for a great work experience

Pros

Good people

Good temporary job

Wasn't living wage when I worked here but pretty straightforward work for decent pay. Your experience will probably vary wildly depending on how decent your supervisor and coworkers are.

Glad I quit! It is a place where job specs are rewritten to hire friends and family. Hard work won’t get you anywhere in this organization.

Find a better job, you can;)I had excellent performance evaluation until I got in the way of my boss promoting his brother-in-law. It’s who you know, not how qualified you are or how hard you work. It’s not a place for a person to have a meaningful career. Good luck getting into management if your from a racial minority. Entry level position pay is poor and training opportunities are more talk then action.

Pros

Steady work

Cons

Salary, promotions, management I can think of more reasons to stay away then nice things to say.

Very fun relaxed work place

Good place to work with good people and managers. The wages however with the union dues and pension deductions you take home roughly 1700 every two weeks with opportunity for overtime. This job is fairly light labour.

Pros

Very good breaks

Cons

N/a

Demanding and Rewarding

Physical hard work was good to start and as you prove yourself you get opportunities. You only get so far there it was an old boys club and rampant nepotism.

Pros

Excellent benefits and RRSP matching

Cons

Nepotism and "old school culture"

Productive and enjoyable place to work, good opportunities for advancement

Productive and enjoyable respectful work place, supported and respected by upper management, a great place to work, good opportunities for advancement.

Pros

Respectful and enjoyable working environment

If you're educated and ambitious look else where

They prefer hiring external candidates so don't expect to be able to move into a different position that suits your qualifications and career goals. If you are educated you can find way better jobs with higher salaries outside.

Pros

easy job

Cons

useless experience, lots of politics, no opportunities for advancement

A great place to work

A warm and welcoming environment to work in with amazing coworkers and fellow patrons. The working hours go by fairly quickly and one will enjoy coming to work.

Great Place to work

Great place to work, it had changed over the years became more streamlined, it is unionized, so there is not much opportunity for overtime and when you do have the opportunity it may be applied to your vacation or time off.

friendly evironment, fast paced, continuous learning of Property Tax

- highly detailed work that requires consentration and accuracy throughout the day. - I have learned a great deal about Property Taxes in Vancouver. - Management are very approachable and open to hear any suggestions you might have. - It can get a little stressful with customer complaints about their taxes but we always bounce back and work together as a team. - unhappy customers - doing my job accurately and keep buing my desk up to date.

Pros

working as a team

Cons

extreemly busy during tax due dates which can lead to longer hours

toxic workplace

toxic workplace causing a lot of politics and worker illness high turnover rate. Management is inept management is incompetant Workers are dirtbags all born in a barn a lot of harassment a lot of discrimination

Pros

pension

Cons

mental stress

the Human Resource department is very dysfunctional

Top heavy with a lot of managers that don't seem to do anything, and the Engineering and HR department both have a team of Safety Specialist, yet none are encouraged to practice their specialty and with limited field safety, so not sure what 9/10th of them do? Lots of issues working here, people with a strong work ethic need not apply.

Very secure job

Great place to work , lots of room for advancement however goes by seniority so it may take a while. Living wage is not sustainable for Vancouver living. You start at the bottom if you get hired into street operations department so expect to use a wheel barrel and w To work hard

Great way to get involved

Working during the 2018 Civic voting season was hectic but I was able to meet new people. The hours were quite long but we were given adequate breaks.

Supportive and respectful work place

colleagues are very supportive and self motivated. manager is very flexible and good listener. remote work is available twice a week if the position is IT related or office work. good benefits. systems are bit outdated.

Pros

good work colleagues and manager

Cons

outdated systems

Good people

This could be an amazing place to work because of the staff and environment but union attitude and management seem to stifle staff attitudes. But the staff is great and their comrade wry keeps them going

Pros

Great people and shows good hourly pay

Cons

Never a set time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Vancouver, BC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement