City of Vancouver, BC

City of Vancouver, BC: 92 Employee Reviews

Canada92 reviews

cityunionopportunityadvancementenvironmentbenefitexperiencelot

Helpful to the community

Great security and good hours.hteat benefits and early retirement. Met alot of friends. The experience I got there has helped me find wirk in many areas. Its a very good reference to have

Pros

Off at 330pm

Cons

Very expensive to live in van, so lots of commuting.

Fun workplace

Great group of guys. If I didn’t move 5 hours away I would have been a lifer. Hardworking pace and lots of areas to move up in. You would be silly not to apply for a job at COV

Insights into City of Vancouver, BC

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues

TOXIC work environment! Better jobs out there, look at other job options!

I'm actually seriously thinking of giving my two weeks notice and/or quit outright altogether. Your treated like a 24 hour ATM machine here that one can use whenever they want! I get a chuckle out of their job posting saying must be available mornings, afternoons, evenings, weekends. Like seriously who has 24 hour work availability. The union here has zero balls to boot! The job itself is awful and the management are constantly changing routes, times, etc. They purposely wish to make your job more DIFFICULT instead of SIMPLER! Most of the employees here are just too much about themselves and don't care about anyone else! So many NEGATIVES trust me look elsewhere for work as our job prospects out there are the best they have ever been!

Pros

Cons

days seem to drag on forever and boredom factors in.

stable and work/life balance is good

Usually it takes time to get a permanent job and it is competitive. you will be eligible to get a benefit after 1 year of service. Job stability/ work life balance is good

Most jobs require a teamwork effort

The City of Vancouver is a great place to work. It allows their employees to develop skills and knowledge through on the job training and outside courses, if they wish to do so.

An excellent place to work. Good pay, great benefits, and nice people to work with. There are many jobs and opportunities available. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

good pay, great benefits, understanding culture, and they care about sustainability

Cons

hmmm, there is some red tape, procurement can take a while

Good place

Good work, good supervisor, good coworkers, good environment, opportunity for advancement if you want to upgrade yourself. Everything is okay with me.

Cons

Sometimes it is stressed, and some rumours from your coworker, so you need to look at the problem from different perspectives to understand it fairly

Great company to work for. Lots to learn. Lots of room for advancement. Job security with benefits.

Very professional company to work for. Training is provided and safety is top priority. Coworkers are good people. I felt the salary was good. A company I highly recommend working for

Pros

Room to advance in the company. Training provided. Pension and benefits.

Cons

Working outdoors when it’s raining

Good great place to learn and understand more about the city and what it has to offer

Very good place to learn and become a more understanding person with the vulnerable population pay is great and the people involved are very fair and optimistic provides for a great work experience

Pros

Good people

Good temporary job

Wasn't living wage when I worked here but pretty straightforward work for decent pay. Your experience will probably vary wildly depending on how decent your supervisor and coworkers are.

Glad I quit! It is a place where job specs are rewritten to hire friends and family. Hard work won’t get you anywhere in this organization.

Find a better job, you can;)I had excellent performance evaluation until I got in the way of my boss promoting his brother-in-law. It’s who you know, not how qualified you are or how hard you work. It’s not a place for a person to have a meaningful career. Good luck getting into management if your from a racial minority. Entry level position pay is poor and training opportunities are more talk then action.

Pros

Steady work

Cons

Salary, promotions, management I can think of more reasons to stay away then nice things to say.

Very fun relaxed work place

Good place to work with good people and managers. The wages however with the union dues and pension deductions you take home roughly 1700 every two weeks with opportunity for overtime. This job is fairly light labour.

Pros

Very good breaks

Cons

N/a

Demanding and Rewarding

Physical hard work was good to start and as you prove yourself you get opportunities. You only get so far there it was an old boys club and rampant nepotism.

Pros

Excellent benefits and RRSP matching

Cons

Nepotism and "old school culture"

Productive and enjoyable place to work, good opportunities for advancement

Productive and enjoyable respectful work place, supported and respected by upper management, a great place to work, good opportunities for advancement.

Pros

Respectful and enjoyable working environment

If you're educated and ambitious look else where

They prefer hiring external candidates so don't expect to be able to move into a different position that suits your qualifications and career goals. If you are educated you can find way better jobs with higher salaries outside.

Pros

easy job

Cons

useless experience, lots of politics, no opportunities for advancement

A great place to work

A warm and welcoming environment to work in with amazing coworkers and fellow patrons. The working hours go by fairly quickly and one will enjoy coming to work.

Great Place to work

Great place to work, it had changed over the years became more streamlined, it is unionized, so there is not much opportunity for overtime and when you do have the opportunity it may be applied to your vacation or time off.

friendly evironment, fast paced, continuous learning of Property Tax

- highly detailed work that requires consentration and accuracy throughout the day. - I have learned a great deal about Property Taxes in Vancouver. - Management are very approachable and open to hear any suggestions you might have. - It can get a little stressful with customer complaints about their taxes but we always bounce back and work together as a team. - unhappy customers - doing my job accurately and keep buing my desk up to date.

Pros

working as a team

Cons

extreemly busy during tax due dates which can lead to longer hours

toxic workplace

toxic workplace causing a lot of politics and worker illness high turnover rate. Management is inept management is incompetant Workers are dirtbags all born in a barn a lot of harassment a lot of discrimination

Pros

pension

Cons

mental stress

the Human Resource department is very dysfunctional

Top heavy with a lot of managers that don't seem to do anything, and the Engineering and HR department both have a team of Safety Specialist, yet none are encouraged to practice their specialty and with limited field safety, so not sure what 9/10th of them do? Lots of issues working here, people with a strong work ethic need not apply.

Very secure job

Great place to work , lots of room for advancement however goes by seniority so it may take a while. Living wage is not sustainable for Vancouver living. You start at the bottom if you get hired into street operations department so expect to use a wheel barrel and w To work hard

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Vancouver, BC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement