City of Vancouver, BC

City of Vancouver, BC Employee Reviews

Great place to work, it had changed over the years became more streamlined, it is unionized, so there is not much opportunity for overtime and when you do have the opportunity it may be applied to your vacation or time off.
Productive and enjoyable respectful work place, supported and respected by upper management, a great place to work, good opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Respectful and enjoyable working environment
They prefer hiring external candidates so don't expect to be able to move into a different position that suits your qualifications and career goals. If you are educated you can find way better jobs with higher salaries outside.
Pros
easy job
Cons
useless experience, lots of politics, no opportunities for advancement
A warm and welcoming environment to work in with amazing coworkers and fellow patrons. The working hours go by fairly quickly and one will enjoy coming to work.
- highly detailed work that requires consentration and accuracy throughout the day. - I have learned a great deal about Property Taxes in Vancouver. - Management are very approachable and open to hear any suggestions you might have. - It can get a little stressful with customer complaints about their taxes but we always bounce back and work together as a team. - unhappy customers - doing my job accurately and keep buing my desk up to date.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
extreemly busy during tax due dates which can lead to longer hours
toxic workplace causing a lot of politics and worker illness high turnover rate. Management is inept management is incompetant Workers are dirtbags all born in a barn a lot of harassment a lot of discrimination
Pros
pension
Cons
mental stress
Top heavy with a lot of managers that don't seem to do anything, and the Engineering and HR department both have a team of Safety Specialist, yet none are encouraged to practice their specialty and with limited field safety, so not sure what 9/10th of them do? Lots of issues working here, people with a strong work ethic need not apply.
Great place to work , lots of room for advancement however goes by seniority so it may take a while. Living wage is not sustainable for Vancouver living. You start at the bottom if you get hired into street operations department so expect to use a wheel barrel and w To work hard
Working during the 2018 Civic voting season was hectic but I was able to meet new people. The hours were quite long but we were given adequate breaks.
colleagues are very supportive and self motivated. manager is very flexible and good listener. remote work is available twice a week if the position is IT related or office work. good benefits. systems are bit outdated.
Pros
good work colleagues and manager
Cons
outdated systems
This could be an amazing place to work because of the staff and environment but union attitude and management seem to stifle staff attitudes. But the staff is great and their comrade wry keeps them going
Pros
Great people and shows good hourly pay
Cons
Never a set time off
Implementing change management for electronic records. Introducing new file structure, naming conventions and standardized spelling. Consolidating information from different locations into one.
Great place to work and good processes in place for most areas. Some opportunities to progress. Helpful colleagues and generally good management. Good worklife balance.
Great place to work. Pleasant work environment and good package. Supportive colleagues. Good work-life balance. Management is generally open and understanding.
I’d love to keep working for city of Vancouver because it’s fun to work with nice co-workers and also reasonable paycheques Only thing I struggled during work was that I had to wake up early like 5-5:30am
Great , awesomeness, terrific, fair,, organized, fun, wonderful life long friends, stressful but rewarding. Inclusive, hard work pays off. All access to community facilities
I learned quickly that it was fast paced using both telephone and computer systems to handle citizens questions with attention to detail and correctly responding.The work atmosphere was always positive. Co workers and superiors were always willing to help and easily accessible to ask for assistance. Hardest part of the job may have been building the confidence to speak with authority. I gained a lot of knowledge about how municipality's operated. I enjoy the daily challenge of resolving customer inquiries.
highly unionized workplace. decent salary and benefits. secure place to work with a decent pension. nice coworkers and strong leadership and management team
Keeping in mind my day started at 2 am.I would open the building and start right away we had three floors to clean .By 6.30 the building would open so all the important stuff had to be cleaned.The bad part about the job was such an early start.Most enjoyable part was leaving early.Good management always keep me in the loop.I liked it because I was responsible for bsw. work.
Great employees, great management.. great benefits .. will be keeping this job for a long time! Work around your schedule and a fun and positive work experiences at the Civic Theatres
This is a terrible place to work for managers are lacking basic knowledge of how to treat staff if you are a lucky soul They will treat you Well until the are ready to spit you out, very nasty organization was very surprised they acted the way They did, so glad I left very toxic environment, union cupe is a joke as well.