City of Toronto Pay & Benefits reviews

On point
Event Coordinating Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2018
City of Toronto Ribfest was a very good experience while you’re working you are also learning on new things they tell you what to do . They’re an excellent company , the manager takes care of you by buying you pizza and drinks on the break and over time and they’re nice people .
Pros
They’re always someone there to help you
Cons
Nothing at all
Great jobs
Rink Facility Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2018
City of Toronto is a great place to work.
I like it alot.
You will like it alot.
Keep typing cause they are forcing me to type you more information then I feel is necessary to provide, but thank you Indeed for wasting my time here.
Good employer
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2018
Working with the City of Toronto has been a great experience. Benefits were very good.
Staff at the City were always willing to assist each other.
Changes to legislation were always forthcoming so we were always attending various training to deal with changes.
Pros
Well paid and benefits
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
Pretty good overall
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2018
I have only worked one summer with the city, and it was a great summer. Working as a Wading Pool Attendant meant working a lot, with lots of shifts available as well, which is always nice to be able to work as much as possible. The only con I would have is one of my bosses took her job too seriously. Other than that, excellent.
Pros
Lots of work available, working outdoors, pretty good pay.
Cons
Took 11 days after pay period ended to pay
Great job for students in high school or college
Assistant Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2018
The work environment is generally relaxed and you will get to know your coworkers well. Pay is good for an entry-level job and the hours are usually good.
Good People
Constituency Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2018
I worked as the assistant to a City Councillor, and I must say for being a pretty large company (it is the city) there are some pretty good pros, like they really encourage you to go out and explore Toronto, and offer great perks and benefits and try to keep you aware of them. The downsides of my job were that people often came into the office or called to complain about the city, and so if you are not aware and able to keep your emotions in check it becomes pretty tough.
Part time - For people who just want to work for fun..
Special Needs Program Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2018
...with little monetary gain. If you work part-time with the recreation stream of City of Toronto your hours are often poor, with hourly rates that aren't competitive. Great culture and atmosphere, but I only work here for fun. My shifts are normally only 3 hours long, and often isn't worth the travel.
Pros
Culture, People
Cons
Pay, Hours
Well balanced job provided favoritism can be reduced and staff efforts could be recognized objectively.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2018
Since the City of Toronto is run with the Property tax payers' and other taxpayers' funds, the Management staff attempts to gain higher level of accountability.
Pros
Enjoyable part is a comprehensive competitive salary and benefit package.
Cons
To manage the Unionized staff. Additionally, higher management's favoritism practices.
Great benefits and ability to have work life balance.
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2018
There's a distinct hierarchy environment - if you're management or senior management you'll do well. There is not much opportunity for you to grow as there are workplace politics that goes on hence redundant career path....The only thing good about this organization is the benefits and work life balance... depending on your manager, team culture may suck.. if you have a bad manager, your experience will be bad but if you have a good manager, it drives the success of the team and overall project success.
Fun place to work
Program assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2018
Great place to work. Had a lot of fun with the co-workers and management team. People looked after one another especially if you worked hard. Hours and wage were the downside.
Pros
Enjoyable to work
Cons
Bad wage
Fun Working Place
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
Was a good experience. Secure job with good pay. Long hours but comfortable working environment. Great people and great staff members. Would work there again.
Pros
Comfortable
Standard Government Job
Summer Technical Trainee Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2018
Good working environment with decent pay and hours. The work is there if you're willing to take it. Can be difficult to advance as union seniority dictates who gets hired.
Pros
35 hr work week
Cons
Difficult to advance
fun and decent
Preschool / Children's Program Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2017
there are too many areas of work within COT to give a quality review. The pay is always better in the City, and there you will be part of a union, even for part-time workers.
Recreation Worker
Program Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2017
I enjoyed the work. I left the city once long time ago. DO NOT EVERY LEAVE you will loose all your seniority hours you have earned. It can be great place work but also not. Just depends on were what unit you apart of.
Pros
Lots shifts
Cons
Takes long time to get certain training's, hard to move upwards within the organization
Productive and flexible.
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2017
I have worked for the city for three years now and I love it as a part-time worker because you can choose shifts based on your schedule. Helps make money on the side, however for full time employees it is more difficult.
Productive and fun workplace
Facility In-Charge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2017
Days are always different. Different tasks to handle. Everyone is friendly and approachable. I have learned to adapt to every situation and person in order to communicate with others and tackle certain tasks.
Benefits
Cons
Shift work
Full time vs. Part time
Support C (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 November 2017
Working for the City of Toronto can be a grand career advancement, IF you are FULL TIME.

Being Full Time gives you all the perks

-Benefits
-Vacation
-Pension
- Great salary!

But, obtaining full time is the hard part. Screening, testing, interviewing is over whelming and confusing... for most full time positions they just transfer and move around the full timers. so your stuck being a part timer which means

- Working evening and weekends
- minimum wage
- no benefits
- no vacation time
Very busy, poor management
Human Resource Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2017
Most enjoyable, learning new processes, working with clients

I will miss my co-workrs

Learning opportunities

Good benefits

Vacation takes at least 1 year to be able to use
Positive experience, low stress
RESEARCH STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2017
Low stress environment. Worked for short terms. Interesting to learn of city businesses. The job allowed me to learn and also i was paid decently well. I found it satisfying to contribute to my own city, other than paying taxes.
Amazing
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2017
Great company, I would recommend for anyone who's interested in the city of toronto and loves a company who cares about its employees. Great benefits and company culture is top notch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3