City of Toronto
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

City of Toronto Employee Reviews for Swim Instructor

Swim Instructor48 reviews
Canada48 reviews

Great place to work if your young and need a job

You are able to work different sessions allowing you to be flexible with when you work. The Supervisors are helpful, and have a fast reponse time through email.

Lifeguard/swim instructor

Great student jobmixture of watching pools and teaching kids how to swimcan be stressful and busy sometimesbut also can be relaxed and easyrewarding team atmosphere

Pros

Great student job, outdoors, summer job, above minimum wage

Cons

patrons can be unreasonable sometimes

Insights into City of Toronto

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Alderwood pool my favourite place to work

love the place I worked at the only problem was the people that caused problems, they had hard time getting rid of them. My boss was amazing, the kids I taught were amazing, just people can't just work they need to cause problems.

Great place to start in the city

Had a great experience working for the city as a lifeguard, very relaxed environment and room for growth into supervisory roles. Great first job to start out

Inconsistent management

You are constantly told different things by different supervisors like how to do and not to do things. The trainings prepare you for absolutely nothing and usually contradict previous training. You are underpaid for the work you do and are sometimes not paid for all your work despite signing into work everyday.

Working for the city is rewarding and helps build essential skills.

The City of Toronto is a good employer with great benefits. Working for the helped me grow professionally and allowed me to learn valuable skills with patrons as well as students.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Slow career advancement

Lifeguard

Great hours, great pay and great people. Only downfall is the amount of seasonal training involved in keeping your position and maintenance of qualifications throughout the year as they expire frequently.

Your experience will change depending on your location.

I have worked at a variety of pools and my experience has been different every time. Some pools mostly cater to serious swimmers and athletes, while others are for the general public.

fun place to work

management in aquatics isn't the best but the facilities are beautiful and most co workers are respectful. I would definitely recommend working here to a friend,

Okay

Aquatics staff are biased and uneducated...great job and easy money for a summer thing but don't recommend for anyone over 21... CRPs believe they are a lot smarter than they really are

great work environment

employees are very friendly, overall great experience. Only worked part time due to school and other activities, scheduling allowed for me to go to work and school without problems.

Pros

public interactions

Cons

Instructing the youth on how to swim

The work was pretty straight forward. However it became very evident that not every child was the same. You had to learn how to adapt your teachings to every individual child and then take the time to make sure they understood the process and their own speed.

2 years in aquatics

Incredible staff, amazing management. Really good wages for students and offers one of the best student/youth jobs out there. Great union as well, and an overall great community.

Amazing job

The City of Toronto employers know that people have to balance a job and an at home life, so they make schedules extremely flexible. Picking up and dropping shifts is very easy.

Part Time good for highschoolers

No particular experience was gained. As minimum wages went up, part time salary stayed the same. Part time management was bias Lots of workplace drama for a part time

A typical day included watching patrons safety from a assigned post that was on a rotating circuit for the lifeguard job. Jobs included; aiding elderly out of water, weak swimming children...etc. management was fairly strict depending on who was my manager so you needed to keep strong work culture.

Pros

fun, sociable, free use of certain equipment during hours

Cons

complex hours, having to work outside of my job hours

summer is a blast

the summer is full of fun in the sun. The staff are all helpful and even through an 8-hour shift might be boring at times it is worth it when they day check comes in after the two weeks

Pros

super fun staff and paid trainings

Cons

the heat and patrons

fun workplace

Was a very fun workplace for students especially during college or university. I enjoyed teaching all age types and all swimming levels. I also loved lifeguarding in the public pools especially the outdoor ones.

Professional environment, Recognizable Experience across all companies in Toronto and GTA.

Toronto is a mosaic glass of different ethnicities and culturals. Learning to be patient and understanding is a necessity to work for City of Toronto. These are great professional skills to develop and City of Toronto is a great environment to learn.

Pros

Overtime is extra

Productive and Efficient

A typical day at work involves me arriving at the pool site and signing in. I then prepare the deck for lessons to begin. The rest of my shifts consists of teaching swimming lessons and life guarding lane swim and recreational swim.

Warm and welcoming atmosphere

A great way to get integrated within the city's system. You learn to work well with the public, and your team. It is an upbeat positive setting, and I reccomend working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement