City of Toronto
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

City of Toronto Employee Reviews for Camp Counselor

Camp Counselor27 reviews
Canada27 reviews

Good place to get seasonal work anywhere in the city

While the process of getting hired can be difficult to navigate, as there are multiple online and in-person steps and trainings that need to be resolved, the overall experience working was positive, and once in the system it is not too difficult to navigate.

Productive and a fun and friendly workplace

- I worked with a group of kids between the ages of 6-12. - Played sports, did arts and crafts and made sure they were safe - Kept an attendance and applied First Aid when needed

Insights into City of Toronto

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

productive

good money for the amount of work achieved. Would recommend to someone that is thinking about starting a new job. The work environment is really good and the people are very nice.

Welcoming environment with great staff

Workplace was warm and inviting. Fun to work in, with great coworkers. Met all job expectations, and introduced me to great people to be around. Would recommend

Very fun summer job

Great job for a high school student looking to make some money. It's super relaxed, and extremely fun. Working with the kids is super fun, even if it can be a little tiring at times.

If you’re in school and need a flexible job to accommodate your school schedule then this is for you. You can also move up in the city as once you’re in it’s easier to get hired internally. Seniority is big with the city as it can even come down to the wire of how much more minutes you work over someone else.

Enjoyed it a lot

The children were always excited to see you and there won't be a day that goes by that you won't enjoy working there. It is always fast-paced many children do love running off and you are needed to respond quickly.

Fun Summer Job for youth

Training for camp staff is surprisingly engaging. Everyone, councillors, coordinators, CRPs, are all active and enthusiastic. It can be fast passed but in a way that promotes productivity.

Fun but sometimes unorganized and messy

- fun to interact with co-workers participants and parents alike - sometimes it can be unorganized creating frustrating situations that could have been easily avoided

Cons

coworkers may not always do the job to they're best ability

Great company

The city of toronto parks. forestry and recreation is a great place to work at with the flexible hours and understanding management. Great work environment and fun people to work with.

Amazing work environment

This job allows individuals to grow through the company, always offering advancement to anyone no matter their experience or age while also being an environment full of amazing people where you are able to build long-lasting relationships.

Positive work environment

City of Toronto staff allow for learning and growth at every opportunity, allowing for your creative input to always be heard. Staff are always very positive and open to new ideas

Great Workplace

A product workplace with understanding staff. The job always encourages me to do my best and has been very helpful with achieving and striving to complete my goals.

Pros

Free Lunches

Good volunteer hours opportunity

Very good option to do your volunteer hours for high school. Very good coworkers to work with. Very easy to collect the 40 hours to require for high school.

Fun and inclusive work environment

Great place to work. - Pay is above minimum wage for most part time positions - Fantastic environment, especially for young people - Very inclusive - Management was very supportive and professional

Pros

large organization

Cons

long commutes for most

Fun and easy way of working and experiencing with children

I had a great time working for the City of Toronto. It grew me into the interest of working with children but also children in conflict with the law and wanting to know that when we send our children out to these programs and facilities that there getting as much support as they can.

Great staff to work with

I live in North York but I love working in Scarborough because of the staff. The people and kids at my summer camp location keep me coming back! I intend to continue the position and move up eventually.

Decent Summer Job

Upper management is pretty entrenched and limited by in what it could do, rather stagnant and protocol based. Pretty backwards as well in terms of technology.

Great work environment depending on what type of camp .

My bosses were always great fed into my potential and pushed me to new heights . It took me a while to get into working wit people who didn't share my ideals but at the end of the day it was fun and productive .

Pros

days went fast

Cons

long hours but thats any job

fun

had a great time with great peoplle. very much enjoyed my time there as the people were very friendly, i had known them for a long time and were very understanding of personal things that cam

Pros

fun

Cons

hard work

Great job with oppertunity to advance.

Working with the city was a great overall experience. They truly care about their employee's and make it easy to work for them. This job required a lot of program planning, event coordination, patience, and networking skills to succeed in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement