City of Toronto

City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Good and fast paced. Be ready to learn and help those in need. As a CSW your role is vital to the well being of clients. The shutbkeader and othe CSW are very supportive
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Can be very emotionally stressful
Some divisions have a good work / life balance, others promise it but don’t deliver. Some senior management aren’t open to new ideas and would rather do what they’ve always done than look at new options. You’re golden and untouchable when you / if you last 15 years up until anything goes.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work / life balance
Its a bitter sweet job. The feeling you are making a difference in someone's community is rewarding, but then you have people in communities who make it look like you didn't do your job is sad. Also to many senior workers who don't care and don't pull there wait and just constantly complain about nothing need to have a reality check. The union should really take a hard look at there practices on how they deal with people like this. I believe that some jobs will be lost because of there entitled behaviors.
Pros
Rewarding feeling
Cons
Having to pull dead weight around. No recognition for the good workers...
The 2nd floor of City Hall is a terrible place to work. City Councillors are accountable to nobody for how they treat/mistreat their staff and are free to demand anything they want.
It’s the best place to be a gardener in Toronto other than if you are running a landscaping company or work at a botanical garden or zoo. The pay and benefits are better then private sector, very generous benefits esp. almost zero stress for a gardener. Only thing is gardeners come from all different backgrounds and types, can be quirky big personalities, the conflicts I’ve seen are when the team leader is not actively managing well, people with dysfunctional behaviours stay at the job due to union protection, and lazy workers mixed with hard working ones. Other than those (every job has its downsides) it is a place to work where you can learn a lot, do cool things you cannot do in most places on the scale the city can, and move to different yards each year and meet a lot of people.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Slackers and entitled people at work
It is a good place to work and get experience as a new grad. It is hard to advance due to seniority, I applied with graduate level just to get in with possibility of transferring to my field, it’s an illusion. It takes years to advance and your qualifications aren’t recognized it’s all about seniority. It’s best to do as a part time gig and have another job in which you are practicing your profession. The environment can be toxic at times, most people are in the job for money and not to serve the needs of the clients. Also, technology is very old and they use mainly paper. Lots of shift work nights evenings and mornings and you get schedule anytime so hardly no life balance.
Pros
Great benefits, great pay.
Cons
Toxic work environment, no recognition for qualifications/skills
I love my work. The City of Toronto is one of the best employers; great leadership and opportunity.... not to mention a strong union. I have the ability to work from home. I am very grateful for that. Our workers changed a lot with the pandemic but I am so grateful for this job.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
The Division structure
If you just want to work and you don't have a family member or a BFF or something similar don't waste your time. It won't work like that. You will be only a ladder for those people. Managers are gods with low , less education and you will be someone who should pray them everyday for letting you work there as they wish. No job security at all. You will be first step of the ladder and everyone use you and treat you like that. No future for regular person. In contrary if you have your buddy there, they don't care about your knowledge and experience, you are hired. And lots of politics involved as well. So be prepared for such environment.
Pros
You will have good health insurance ane 20 something dollor per hour
Cons
Zero percent job security for those who don't have relationships
Easy to learn, get jobs done and no issues. Always have work to do. Supervisors are great! I really enjoy my job and working here. Drive sidewalk vac and pickup trucks.....
Pros
Easy
Cons
No con
I love to work for the city I enjoy going to work every day great place to grow great management and people💯Friendly fun place to work and learn as you go
Cons
The city of Toronto is a very inclusive organization who promotes diversity and multiculturalism in the workplace. The City provides a broad variety of public services across the GTA. All employees are given annual training and are further training/ development programs are available. Jobs are secure and benefits are decent. Internal positions are available, however recruitment is seniority based which makes consideration and advancement quite difficult for newer employees (0-10 years experience).
Pros
Opportunity for overtime
Cons
Professional advancement is very difficult to obtain
I have worked for the city for 30 years. The pay and benefits are good. Job protection from the union. Very hard to get full-time it's mostly contract and part-time work. Really good job for someone who wants to just make extra money. Work with alot of different people
Pros
Good pay, job protection, good benefits
Cons
Workplace can be very stressful, bullying from staff and some management.
many jobs within find your path it will take care of you thats the city it is great many opportunitys managment is easy to work with very understanding and great benefits
The pay is great, however, jobs start as part time hindering the job security. Employees have to work elsewhere else to be able to afford life. Nice work setting and no stress. Great Union. Long probation period though.
Pros
Pay per hour is great
Cons
Many jobs start as part time. Not enough hours.
A very fun and existing work experience that is fast paced, dynamic and unique. It calls for excellent planning, organizations, interpersonal communication and problem solving skills.
Pros
Fun and Dynamic Work setting
Cons
Short shifts
Lots of opportunities to meet new people and learn new things. I had the pleasure of having a great team. We were able to creatively collaborate to ensure the best experience for campers, caregivers and staff.
While the process of getting hired can be difficult to navigate, as there are multiple online and in-person steps and trainings that need to be resolved, the overall experience working was positive, and once in the system it is not too difficult to navigate.
Regular 7 am - 3 pm job. Worked here for a 4-month co-op term and absolutely loved it. I learned more about using ArcMap effectively and even learned to use FME. My work environment was relaxed and my co-workers were enthusiastic about their jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. You really get to relate to them.
City of Toronto is a fun place to work. I worked in recreation and everyone was really nice. It is very hard to get shifts though, especially when you are new.
A typical day at work was greeting children and their parents. My team and I hosted morning activities then helped the kids with lunch and clean up. Afterwards we did more planned activities for the afternoon and then waited until all of te children were picked up to go home.
good environment depending of the department. good managers. lots of location and sectors. good start job. lots of community activities. hard exam to get in.
  1. Employee reviews