City of Toronto Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Swim instructor/lifeguard (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON20 June 2018
Was a very fun workplace for students especially during college or university. I enjoyed teaching all age types and all swimming levels. I also loved lifeguarding in the public pools especially the outdoor ones.
Negative environment
Senior parts Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 June 2018
If you enjoy being belittled and berated and seeing hard work and dedication go unnoticed - City of Toronto is for you.

Its unfortunate that such a modern city would have such an exclusive and close minded works department.

Hope to see it change, for the taxpayers sake.
Instructor/lifeguard
Aquatics Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2018
It is a fun job. You must be extremely patient and always alert. The safety of the child is in your hands. You must be properly licensed. Also, have a daily planned properly planned out.
Iron fist management
Management HR (Current Employee) –  City Hall18 June 2018
Worse work experience ever, management deceptive, controlling, lacking basic management skills, the director and the manager played with facts to conceal the truth. Destroyed my life and my career, push me to suicide, kept going by grace of God.
Pros
If it was not of the management team, enjoyed my job and did very well in it
Cons
Toxic team and work environment, not diversity and no room for talent
Challenging and fun workplace
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto17 June 2018
Good bosses with amazing staff as well as challenges everyday to better myself and the workplace. Staff were very supportive of the needs of their employees as well as the needs of the campers themselves.
Flexible place to work
Assistant Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2018
most enjoyable part of the job is when you see happy participants
a typical day at work consists of signing in to the location, getting caught up with things you've missed. Finally duties assigned
Amazing faculty
Counsellor-in-Training (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2018
Able to meet amazing and caring teacher
Extremely effective place that teaches individuals how to properly communicate and teach children
Able to learn how to become an effective leader
Great experience.
Skating Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2018
Working as a skating / hockey instructor was fantastic work. I am an avid hockey player and this was a close as I got to playing professionally (getting paid to play / teach hockey and skating). The hours were easy (often 2 / 3 hours a day) and the pay was good.

I worked with another city employee to design and implement skating / hockey skill lessons. It was easy due to a background in both hockey and skating and was fun for me.

The hardest part of the job was parents trying to help their children interfering with my teaching. While this was not common, when it happened, it was often impossible for the children to block out their parents and listen to my instruction.

The most enjoyable aspect of this job was when students would reach the point of being able to stand on their skates or to complete hockey drills they previously thought they would be unable to do.
Pros
Getting paid to skate / play / teach hockey.
Cons
Parental interference
Stress free and friendly work environment
I&T Open Data Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2018
The City of Toronto was a fun place to work. Employees were friendly and professional. This was my first coop while attending the University of Waterloo, which was about 4 years ago from me writing this review. It was a great first job!
Pros
Stress free environment
Cons
Slow work
Enjoyed co workers. Good work experience.
Recreation Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2018
Answered inquiries from members and the public regarding programs and events . Explained cost and completed transactions for new or returning members. Input information into database regarding the number of members who attended specific classes.

Enjoyable atmosphere, both staff and public were pleasurable to work with. Very little stress other than when timelines were tight.

I learned a variety of customer service skills such as communication,, problem solving, decision making and resolution skills. I became knowledgable about the many programs offered at the City of Toronto Parks and Recreation Division.
Pros
Free membership
Great extra employment engagement activities
IT Trainee - Business Application Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2018
My typical day at work used to start with good morning greetings, and then we were good to go and perform our daily tasks. I was able to learn coordination, management and technical skills from the City. Management staff were great and supportive.
Fun Place
Location Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2018
The people you work with and meet at this job are kinda and helpful and you learn good people skills, how to deal with people. The salary and actually super good, I got around $16 an hour and for rink guard around $14- $15 an hour.
Pros
Work hours and Money
Cons
Participants
On point
Event Coordinating Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2018
City of Toronto Ribfest was a very good experience while you’re working you are also learning on new things they tell you what to do . They’re an excellent company , the manager takes care of you by buying you pizza and drinks on the break and over time and they’re nice people .
Pros
They’re always someone there to help you
Cons
Nothing at all
Productive and active
Child Care Aide Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
You must be punctual and ready to work. No slacking on the job. Many guidelines to follow, policies, rules, and regulations. Always make sure to go over the guidelines every month because they can changed in a second.
Pros
FRee gifts
Cons
Flexibility
Great starter job
Facility in-Charge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
Can branch into any city of Toronto job division once hired. Great staff that will work with you, however, once you're familiar with your environment you'll see the job true colours..
Fast paced work environment
Aquatic receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2018
Arrive in the morning to greet and let the patrons into the change rooms. Answer phones, light filing and cash handling. The most enjoyable part of this job was having amazing professional relationships with both the patrons and staff.
great place to work
Ski Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2018
I really like this job, it seems like a great place to work and it's very close to me. I learned a lot and how to keep the workplace safe and fun for staff and employees
Pros
great hours
Cons
no cons
was an interacting and fun place to work
Camp Counsellor/Playground Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
it was a very new and exciting way to come into the work atmosphere. it was very inviting, co-workers were kind and friendly. everyone cared about their job and tried to make each day a fun experience for everyone.
Great jobs
Rink Facility Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2018
City of Toronto is a great place to work.
I like it alot.
You will like it alot.
Keep typing cause they are forcing me to type you more information then I feel is necessary to provide, but thank you Indeed for wasting my time here.
Good employer
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2018
Working with the City of Toronto has been a great experience. Benefits were very good.
Staff at the City were always willing to assist each other.
Changes to legislation were always forthcoming so we were always attending various training to deal with changes.
Pros
Well paid and benefits
Cons
Not much room for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3