City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Fun and safe working environment
Rink Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2018
The most enjoyable part was being able to help those that needed a helping hand. Growing up I spent a lot of time in drop-in programs with the city I often looked up to the staff at the community centres. I am proud to say that I feel I left the same impression.
Pros
short hours, fun, enjoyable
Great management and teamwork
Swim instructor, Life guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2018
Teamwork is the main focus for this position, you will have to work as a team not only during training, but during class time as well. You will need to constantly work together with supervisor and/ or coworkers
Helped with a capaign
Student Helper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2018
Made sure to keep all the products being used organized and ready for use throughout the campaign. Assisted staff and helped guide citizens coming in and out of the venue.
Productive and Meeting the needs of Customers
Administrative Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 April 2018
On a typical day my duty is to work on the telephone dealing with customers who want to use the City facilities and to register in program in which the City offers. Also, to help the customers to enroll their children into activities that will help them in their learning.

Having to deal with customers helps me to understand the needs of the parents in having interest in their children's learning development.
By communicatiing with parents increases my learning experience in the area of recreation.

In dealing with customers my management skills have improved. I also know how to multitask and address my customers' concerns on the phone by giving them instructions on how to use the computer to register for the different programs.

The workplace culture involves a manager, supervisors, and staff, It contains a multicultural environment.

The hardest part of the job is to help first time users to find the right programs. Also to deal with customers who are inclined to have a behavioral problem.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to meet the needs of my customers. Also, to be able to develop good time management skills.
Pros
To work in a multicultural setting
Cons
Unpaid lunch break
City
Wading Pool Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2018
I love how diverse the City of Toronto is, it's so fun and exciting to work with the city. I have worked with the City of Toronto for over 6 years and I have learned a lot of life skills that I will forever cherish.
Decent Summer Job
Bush Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto Zoo, ON28 March 2018
Upper management is pretty entrenched and limited by in what it could do, rather stagnant and protocol based. Pretty backwards as well in terms of technology.
Professional environment, Recognizable Experience across all companies in Toronto and GTA.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2018
Toronto is a mosaic glass of different ethnicities and culturals. Learning to be patient and understanding is a necessity to work for City of Toronto. These are great professional skills to develop and City of Toronto is a great environment to learn.
Pros
Overtime is extra
Pretty good overall
Wading Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2018
I have only worked one summer with the city, and it was a great summer. Working as a Wading Pool Attendant meant working a lot, with lots of shifts available as well, which is always nice to be able to work as much as possible. The only con I would have is one of my bosses took her job too seriously. Other than that, excellent.
Pros
Lots of work available, working outdoors, pretty good pay.
Cons
Took 11 days after pay period ended to pay
Great job for students in high school or college
Assistant Instructor/Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2018
The work environment is generally relaxed and you will get to know your coworkers well. Pay is good for an entry-level job and the hours are usually good.
I wish I never left
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
I worked with really great superiors and co-workers. Other than nepotism is really bad there, people i worked for were great. From my first supervisor, the by-law officers and managers, they were all great.
Great summer job
LIFEGUARD/ INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
If you're looking to make money over the summer while also being able to enjoy the outdoors and not be stuck inside this is definitely the job for you. Some pools may be more hectic than others so it may be more stressful depending on your pool of choice.
Pros
a lot of hours, fun staff
Cons
heat waves, flexibility
I am hard worker and i am fun of football
Helper (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2018
I need to be hired in Canada, Toronto as a helper of any type of work vacancies you have.
I am very much disciplined to and I managed my self very well.
Pros
As I said like to work hard to make money, and I want to enjoy soccer in foot ball.
Cons
I dislike exravagancies, and I hate lazy individuals.
Easy and quite place to work
TORONTO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2018
You will have no trouble working here......was based at the complex near metro Toronto convention center...staffs are supportive.
I worked in Technology
Challenging
Facility Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto12 March 2018
There are a lot of policies to abide by at this work location. Not all supervisors abide by those policies. There are a lot of community based programs that revolve around the community.
Fantastic Workplace
Cleaner, Light Duty (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2018
The City is a fantastic place to work with many opportunities for skills development, and a great support system for employees. It gives you the opportunity to advance, and rise to meet your best self.
Great Company
Sports Camp Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2018
Union always takes care of it workers. Everyone is treated fairly and there is no discrimination. Everyone is friendly and works together to ensure success in the workplace.
Good People
Constituency Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2018
I worked as the assistant to a City Councillor, and I must say for being a pretty large company (it is the city) there are some pretty good pros, like they really encourage you to go out and explore Toronto, and offer great perks and benefits and try to keep you aware of them. The downsides of my job were that people often came into the office or called to complain about the city, and so if you are not aware and able to keep your emotions in check it becomes pretty tough.
Part time - For people who just want to work for fun..
Special Needs Program Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2018
...with little monetary gain. If you work part-time with the recreation stream of City of Toronto your hours are often poor, with hourly rates that aren't competitive. Great culture and atmosphere, but I only work here for fun. My shifts are normally only 3 hours long, and often isn't worth the travel.
Pros
Culture, People
Cons
Pay, Hours
Working for the government
Junior Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2018
Working for the city was a great experience. It was my first look into corporate culture. I was young, excited and eager to work hard. The work tasks were tedious but well worth the experience.
Fast paced & rewarding
CHIEF OF STAFF TO COUNCILLOR (Current Employee) –  City of Toronto, ON22 February 2018
I learn something new everyday. Some days are very challenging as a public servant, but some days are rewarding. High volume of work, fast-paced, and constantly competing priorities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3