City of Toronto logo
City of Toronto

City of Toronto Employee Reviews

Amazing place to work!

I am a current Solid Waste Collection Operator.4 day work weeks are a total bonus here! You have freedom here, no one is breathing down your neck. You work by yourself which I love! The benefits here are amongst the best possible, massages, dental, glasses, you name it, you are covered. Management is amazing with great folks. They want you to succeed here, unlike many other workplaces. Room for growth. Vacation & sick days are absolutely amazing! I have zero complaints about City Of Toronto. I will retire here :)

Pros

Freedom, Benefits, Room for growth, 4 day work weeks

Cons

Zero

Good pay awful work environment

Constantly asked to work over time and doubles. Received calls in the middle of the night asking for you to come into work. Rude staff and supervisors.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Horrible work environment

Not the greatest place to work

Most of the employees want to work but the culture is hurry up and wait and things are not explained properly. Management tends to micro manage employees.

Pros

People are nice

Cons

Management is not the best

A giodnplace to work. Friendly

Good and fast paced. Be ready to learn and help those in need. As a CSW your role is vital to the well being of clients. The shutbkeader and othe CSW are very supportive

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Can be very emotionally stressful

Depends on where you work

Some divisions have a good work / life balance, others promise it but don’t deliver. Some senior management aren’t open to new ideas and would rather do what they’ve always done than look at new options. You’re golden and untouchable when you / if you last 15 years up until anything goes.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Work / life balance

Rewarding feeling of making a difference in community .

Its a bitter sweet job. The feeling you are making a difference in someone's community is rewarding, but then you have people in communities who make it look like you didn't do your job is sad. Also to many senior workers who don't care and don't pull there wait and just constantly complain about nothing need to have a reality check. The union should really take a hard look at there practices on how they deal with people like this. I believe that some jobs will be lost because of there entitled behaviors.

Pros

Rewarding feeling

Cons

Having to pull dead weight around. No recognition for the good workers...

City of Toronto - EA to City Councillor

The 2nd floor of City Hall is a terrible place to work. City Councillors are accountable to nobody for how they treat/mistreat their staff and are free to demand anything they want.

Gardener 2

It’s the best place to be a gardener in Toronto other than if you are running a landscaping company or work at a botanical garden or zoo. The pay and benefits are better then private sector, very generous benefits esp. almost zero stress for a gardener. Only thing is gardeners come from all different backgrounds and types, can be quirky big personalities, the conflicts I’ve seen are when the team leader is not actively managing well, people with dysfunctional behaviours stay at the job due to union protection, and lazy workers mixed with hard working ones. Other than those (every job has its downsides) it is a place to work where you can learn a lot, do cool things you cannot do in most places on the scale the city can, and move to different yards each year and meet a lot of people.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Slackers and entitled people at work

Great Part time Job

It is a good place to work and get experience as a new grad. It is hard to advance due to seniority, I applied with graduate level just to get in with possibility of transferring to my field, it’s an illusion. It takes years to advance and your qualifications aren’t recognized it’s all about seniority. It’s best to do as a part time gig and have another job in which you are practicing your profession. The environment can be toxic at times, most people are in the job for money and not to serve the needs of the clients. Also, technology is very old and they use mainly paper. Lots of shift work nights evenings and mornings and you get schedule anytime so hardly no life balance.

Pros

Great benefits, great pay.

Cons

Toxic work environment, no recognition for qualifications/skills

Excellent place to work

I love my work. The City of Toronto is one of the best employers; great leadership and opportunity.... not to mention a strong union. I have the ability to work from home. I am very grateful for that. Our workers changed a lot with the pandemic but I am so grateful for this job.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

The Division structure

Jobs at City of Toronto

See more jobs

If you don't have bff or family member don't go there

If you just want to work and you don't have a family member or a BFF or something similar don't waste your time. It won't work like that. You will be only a ladder for those people. Managers are gods with low , less education and you will be someone who should pray them everyday for letting you work there as they wish. No job security at all. You will be first step of the ladder and everyone use you and treat you like that. No future for regular person. In contrary if you have your buddy there, they don't care about your knowledge and experience, you are hired. And lots of politics involved as well. So be prepared for such environment.

Pros

You will have good health insurance ane 20 something dollor per hour

Cons

Zero percent job security for those who don't have relationships

Easygoing, love working for City

Easy to learn, get jobs done and no issues. Always have work to do. Supervisors are great! I really enjoy my job and working here. Drive sidewalk vac and pickup trucks.....

Pros

Easy

Cons

No con

Great fun environment

I love to work for the city I enjoy going to work every day great place to grow great management and peopleđź’ŻFriendly fun place to work and learn as you go

Cons

Fast paced, collaborative work environment

The city of Toronto is a very inclusive organization who promotes diversity and multiculturalism in the workplace. The City provides a broad variety of public services across the GTA. All employees are given annual training and are further training/ development programs are available. Jobs are secure and benefits are decent. Internal positions are available, however recruitment is seniority based which makes consideration and advancement quite difficult for newer employees (0-10 years experience).

Pros

Opportunity for overtime

Cons

Professional advancement is very difficult to obtain

Good pay , resonable hours

I have worked for the city for 30 years. The pay and benefits are good. Job protection from the union. Very hard to get full-time it's mostly contract and part-time work. Really good job for someone who wants to just make extra money. Work with alot of different people

Pros

Good pay, job protection, good benefits

Cons

Workplace can be very stressful, bullying from staff and some management.

great work all around

many jobs within find your path it will take care of you thats the city it is great many opportunitys managment is easy to work with very understanding and great benefits

Great work setting, great pay

The pay is great, however, jobs start as part time hindering the job security. Employees have to work elsewhere else to be able to afford life. Nice work setting and no stress. Great Union. Long probation period though.

Pros

Pay per hour is great

Cons

Many jobs start as part time. Not enough hours.

Fun and Exciting

A very fun and existing work experience that is fast paced, dynamic and unique. It calls for excellent planning, organizations, interpersonal communication and problem solving skills.

Pros

Fun and Dynamic Work setting

Cons

Short shifts

Team work makes the dream work

Lots of opportunities to meet new people and learn new things. I had the pleasure of having a great team. We were able to creatively collaborate to ensure the best experience for campers, caregivers and staff.

Good place to get seasonal work anywhere in the city

While the process of getting hired can be difficult to navigate, as there are multiple online and in-person steps and trainings that need to be resolved, the overall experience working was positive, and once in the system it is not too difficult to navigate.

Fun workspace with great colleagues

Regular 7 am - 3 pm job. Worked here for a 4-month co-op term and absolutely loved it. I learned more about using ArcMap effectively and even learned to use FME. My work environment was relaxed and my co-workers were enthusiastic about their jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. You really get to relate to them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2