City of Toronto
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

Working at City of Toronto: Employee Reviews

Canada780 reviews

A welcoming environment.

The City of Toronto offers very reasonable pay and has good benefits for part-time. The staff are very friendly and treat other staff well. The work environments are clean and each staff member is able to contribute to the space.

Pros

Flexible hours

Civil service knows no balance

Municipal government work is demanding involving long hours where if you calculate yhe hours that you work versus your salary, i think its on par with McDonalds.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Long hours no balance

Insights into City of Toronto

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

I’m kind of blessed working with city of Toronto good compensation good provider

It’s an excellent employer and provides staff good benefits working almost 13 years in long term care division give me more challenges and learning experience. Working with multi cultural diversity is an experience I have to be proud of 🙏🏻👍

Love working for the city

Overall the best place I have ever worked. A lot of challenges dealing with children on a daily basis but avery rewarding experience. Most people are team players.

Fast-paced, and evolving

Productive, fast-paced, innovative, swift evolving workforce especially during COVID as things raoidly changed we had to change our way of providing care and promoting confort also.We work long hours as Long Term care is 24 hours and the demand for excellent care is high yet attainable.We do celebrate residents cultural diversity and other events

It’s a job life balance to work in the city excellent co workers

Working in the city of Toronto is a job for life,good place to Work nice people around.Different people and culture you meet with. thank Good Salary and Benefits The management are good. From nursing staff,FSW,Laundry,housekeeping keeps the home safe.

Usually Understaffed

Usually understaffed so it was more physically demanding on me. The pay is alright for what I do but the hours could be longer.Decent job if it's your first job and you're looking for work experience!

Easy Job Limited Advancement

Easy job, lots of people go here to have families and retire. Unfortunately that's not good for anyone looking to advance in their career or life. Don't do it if you aren't ready to give up.

Good work life balance

Good position to get experience and opportunity to move into other positions depending on your interests or your background. Great staff to work with.

We’re a family! Wonderful environment

I am enjoying my job here at the city, for the first time In my career I can truly say I love my job! The managers are awesome, my colleagues are really great to work with, the pay, the benefits, the genuine love and respect for each other is amazing!

Fun workplace, great staff, upper Management some not so nice.

For a long term career this is an excellent place to work, there are many avenues for advancement and great benefits. There are a lot of policies to follow but this is the job, I have had experiences with some difficult management styles, but if this is your career path you will survive the reward.

Fast paced and competitive.

If you love a fast paced environment and hard work with lots of overtime and great benefits this is the place for you. Work culture is pretty good but depends on nurse and floor you work on. Although stressful job at times a simple smile or thank you from one of your residents makes you want to continue to go over and beyond for all the residents. Also very accommodating and supportive if you're going back to school. Overall a great place to work.

I was a contract employee

I was terminated before I got into the union. I hurt my neck at work, and called my manager to tell him. My manager said that I never called him. I guess it's a good place for some people but it seemed like they were out to get me. I found it a poisonous atmosphere.

Enjoyable work environment with good coworkers

If you love kids and have good coworkers and a good supervisor, your swim instructor shift at work will be very enjoyable. Otherwise, I would opt to pick up Lifeguarding shifts only.

Great to get experience

Over was a good place to work. Staff and CRPS worked as a team to ensure the sites were good. Working with the children was always something to look forward to. They would be excited to come to the after school program!

Mixed Bag

Definitely a chill work environment.Pay is good, but you only work 6 months of the year or so, and they have failed to raise wages in a way that reflects inflation.If you can handle working outdoors in the heat you'll enjoy it.Good hard work is not rewarded, the only thing that matters to the city is how many years you've been there.

Great place to work if your young and need a job

You are able to work different sessions allowing you to be flexible with when you work. The Supervisors are helpful, and have a fast reponse time through email.

High-school drama

I worked as a waterfront lifeguard at the bluffs, it's one of the most intense beaches which would need one of the most supportive non drama and that was not the case, supervisors were immature, poor communication made the job dangerous, I ended up in the hospital due to intense training, bad communication and anxiety. Did not feel safe, you felt guilty for recovering from wounds. Most of the staff in other beaches were injured and still working. Quitting was almost to impossible. I just walked away and never came back.

Pros

Nice thunder storm view at the bluffs, Will definitely face a lot of situations, You will get super fit

Cons

As suggested by management, blow whistle incase you get kidnapped or stabbed or whatever

Goodjob

Good job lots room to grow and network you meet great people working with the city never hesitate to answer questions sometimes managers aren't easy to deal with but it's a very relaxed job for the most part

Pros

Lots of hours

Cons

Some managers aren't easy to please

Easy money

Its hard work but you get to go home at a decent time every day and its 4 days a week. Had a lot of home time, felt like I was working a part time job and still got huge paychecks every pay. The supervisors dont bug you and leave you alone. No micro managing at all from my experience. The job is physically hard but its simple.

Great opportunity!

I worked there for a season and hope to return after covid politics are removed but it was a great job with good people. I learned a lot and look forward to my next season.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Toronto. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement