City of Thunder Bay

City of Thunder Bay Employee Reviews

Position is outside, in just about any weather. My supervisor is amazing, but the city itself needs to give better incentives for this position. Benefits would be nice.
We have fun at work but like any office there is always interoffice politics and exclusivism. There are excellent opportunities to grow. The City is trying to be progressive and if they keep working on it they will be the best place to work in the City.
Pros
Associations, memberships and discounts
Cons
no parking, high stress
Working here was a fulfillment of my work placement semester while studying at the city's community College, unfortunately it was mostly unpaid work but the experiences gained and certifications obtained through the 4-month were crucial in any possible advancement with the Health and Safety industry. Glad i was chosen to Intern at the City's Corporate Safety Department.
Relatively speaking working with the City Of Thunder Bay was a great learning experience, very friendly work environment with residents and staff. Between the hustle and bustle of switching through 3 homes there was always something to be done!
Good for a student job (can do homework on free time) very relaxed and fun during the summer as the splash pad is open. Unfortunately no benefits and gets paid minimum wage unlike most city jobs. Learned how to solve problems, give tourists directions and provide first aid.
Nice place to work but there's new drama between co workers every hour. Gets old really fast. Affects doing your job. Management right now is none existent.
No good organization of events. Nice people but hard to get a hold of. Fun events and great way to get to know people and make news friends. Not quite sure if it will help anyone get a job other thn with the city.
Pros
Good hours.
Cons
Poor management.
Excellent place to work. I like working there. It is a great place to settle down and raise a family. The pay is excellent, as are the benefits. Highly recommend.
Pros
Good job
Cons
supportive people in the departments
great benefits and pension

job security, potential to grow if motivated and show interest

they provide training for advancement
Pros
ability to grow, benefits and pension
I worked for the city of Thunder Bay for 15 years. It is a
great place to work with wages that are at the top scale.

Co workers and management team are awesome.

Only reason I left was to relocate to southern ontario
Pros
overtime always available
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Thunder Bay?
its a great job but outside is hard in the winter and i love my job but need more hours and pay i love workin with kids they are wonderul to work with..
Great job but very little hours per week. Only 2.25 hours per day and minimum wage. Staff are great as are the kids at the schools. Lots of traveling around which is good for new residance as myself.
Pros
Time in between to get jobs done
Cons
Min hours
I enjoyed getting up in the morning and going to work. I didn't always know what my day to day assignment would be but often it would be diversified. I could be repairing roads one day or hauling material another. I definitely learned to operate various pieces of equipment proficiently. Management did their jobs well in my opinion, but not without a lot of friction from many employees for whatever reasons. Certainly the moral was in need of a boost. The hardest part of the job for me was working as productively as I could while watching other employees texting or just sitting idle. Probably the most rewarding part of my job was accomplishing the task assigned and going home knowing, I had done my best that day.
Pros
Fair breaks were allowed (eg. half hour lunch and 2/15 minute coffee breaks)
Cons
Sometimes the lack of cooperation limiting production.
Unfortunately, public sector work life is difficult due to lack of advancement until many many years are put in . The pay is average. the biggest perk it has is job security.
Pros
the city will be there when the next recession hits
Cons
absolute boredome
Meet and greet the public......pleasant staff that work as a team. Time flies by when you are having fun and at the end of the day everyone goes home happy.
Pros
quiet work environment
Cons
smell of garbage
This was a great job to have as a student during the summer months. I enjoyed the experience because it taught me practical work experience in a public employed sector.
it was a very good job. I learned a lot and my co-workers and supervisors were very encouraging and enjoyable to work for. I recommend this job for anyone interested in working for a good wage and with good crew members.
The City of Thunder Bay is a great employer and I enjoyed work on a daily basis while I was under a long contract. Working with children was challenging and very rewarding at the same time. It was nice to be able to show parents that the place they entrusted their children to was safe and educational yet fun and memorable at the same time.

Management was very understanding and I don't have anything negative to say on that regard. It was a fair and rewarding place to work every single day.
Pros
Hour long lunch!
Cons
Early morning shifts.
Arrive at work, go through tailgate safety meeting discussing days overview, load the truck need for the crews daily tasks. Once this is completed we were drive to destination of the tasks at hand and complete. Crews were active and worked together, got a long great with fellow employees, great management and lead hands. Crew was like family and made the job more satisfying as friends.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Summer ended
City of Thunder Bay has been a great employer who fosters leadership, advancement, and personal growth. The environment is dry and work is hard. You will need to learn patience as projects move VERY slow through the corporate process.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities, security
Cons
Slow process for change
Although I only worked as a volunteer the staff at City of Thunder Bay Recreation and Culture division I can tell they have a well organized and caring staff.
Pros
free drinks and snacks
Cons
no salary
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Thunder Bay. Our community is ready to answer.