City of Surrey Employee Review

View all City of Surrey reviews

Many jobs are auxiliary or part time
CSA 3 (Former Employee) –  Surrey20 April 2013
The job was fine, but they hire many auxiliary people for the same position. You won't get many hours because there will be four of you sharing the same shifts. You can't work in different areas of the city because the minimum hours per shift is four and you can only work 7 hours in total - you can't do four hours in one rec centre and then 4 hours in another centre in the same day. 35 hours is considered part time and that way they don't have to give you full benefits.

Other City of Surrey Employee Reviews

Only stuck around for the pay
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 April 2018
Working at the north surrey rec centre pool was probably the most horrible work experience. There is no scope for growth here if you are not a favourite with the coordinator/programmer. There is blatant favouritism despite hours being by seniority and it being a unionized position. Moreover, the programmer, coordinator, and management rarely acknowledge positive performance. Rather, they are so quick to confront you and call you into meetings for the pettiest things. Meetings are full of hearsay and questionable accusations. Rarely anything solid. I would definitely not recommend picking the NSIP as a choice for pool if you pass the interviews. It is a small facility with BIG amounts of drama. The people behind the glass windows in the office are literally so bored they will call you out on anything. Whether it’s uniform, the way you’re standing to guard, probably even how you breathe.

Stay away.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bias, favouritism, cliques
Fun and diverse place to work
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor + Assistant Head Guard (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC21 March 2018
I was a lifeguard/swim instructor/assistant head guard. I have learnt a lot about myself and to work well with others. I loved working with people of all ages and from all backgrounds. I have also enjoyed working towards becoming an assistant head guard- this has provided me with various amounts of supervisory skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Surrey. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4