City of Surrey Employee Reviews

Friendly work environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 January 2018
Overall working here is wonderful. The pay is really good, the staff are super friendly and easy to get along with, and the benefits are nice. However, it is difficult sometimes to get the shift you want because the system is based off of seniority. So if you're new you get stuck doing all teaching, which can get a bit rough if you're prone to getting cold. The pool space is also very limited when trying to teach class which can be difficult.

The best part of the job though, is being able to help your students learn, and see how much joy it brings them. This is an extremely important job, and it is definitely rewarding.
Pros
Good pay, short shifts, good for students
Cons
Cramped pool, seniority list
Best Employer in the lower mainland
Application Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 January 2018
City of Surrey is one of the best employer in BC, I would call myself lucky to get a job at the City of Surrey.
I have been working for City for the last 11 years, sometime its very challenging job working on 2-3 project simultaneously .

I like challenges, and would like to do more creative jobs
Cohesive and inclusive work place with endless opportunities
Day camp leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 December 2017
A typical day at work for a City of Surrey recreational employee starts with warm greetings from managers, other employees and students you teach/instruct. When working for the City you become a part of an inclusive, accepting and cohesive team. The workplace culture is nothing short of positive, productive and organized and allows the opportunity for furthered growth and learning. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with new people and be able to become a bigger part of a child's life through helpful instruction and guiding.
Lifeguard Swim Instructor
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 November 2017
I really enjoyed working with the City of Surrey, particularly at the Guildford branch. The managers who work there are excellent and they do a very good job of making the work environment as pleasant as possible.

There was a couple of times where I made a mistake but my supervisors never made a big deal about the issue but made it an opportunity for me to improve as an employee.
Pros
Great Pay, Fun coworkers
Cons
Far drive from my home / difficult to get hours during some times of the year
Fun and engaging workplace
Doors Open Event - Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 August 2017
Everyone was really nice and easy to approach which made communicating easy. The Doors Open Event encouraged us to interact with people and work cohesively. Definitely would volunteer again.
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 July 2017
I have a volunteer of the city of Surrey since last year. Since then, I have volunteered at Canada day 2016, Surrey children's festival 2016, Party for the Planet 2016 and Fusion Festival 2016 with the city of Surrey. It was a breathtaking experience, I got to learn a lot from the individuals whom I was working with.
Pros
Free food
Cons
shifts could be long
Great place to gain volunteer hours
A Surrey Youth Stewardship Squad Member (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 May 2017
I really enjoy volunteering for the City of Surrey! I just started volunteering for the City of Surrey. I go in certain parks in Surrey and help keep the parks a better place. I help remove invasive plants and plant new plants for the summer.
Pros
Free snackes, gaining volunteer hours and meeting new people
Cons
Chance of getting injured
fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 May 2017
very fun volunteering place, many events to volunteer at and very relaxed place to work at. not very busy and stuff. sometimes disorganized but still pretty chill
A great place to grow, and start a career
MyZone- Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 May 2017
Community and work go hand in hand. Plugging in a passion with work can be done with ease. There is never a dull moment at work, and never a need to be bored.
Great Pay
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 December 2016
Great pay, but no guarantee you will get hours to work. Advances within departments are often based on friendships.Prepare to teach 40hrs a week to start.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Promotions are not always appropriate.

Want to know more about City of Surrey?

Ask a question
Recommended
Volunteer Experiences (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 October 2016
The city of surrey is a great opportunity to get some volunteer experience. Every event you go to, you will learn something new and valuable that will help you later on find a job.
Pros
Great Managment, training
Surrey Sport and Leisure Pool
Lifeguard/ Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 October 2016
My typical work day is done by guarding the pool, working alongside co-workers to insure the safety of the general public. Serving the needs of the public and making sure to prevent injuries or any unsafe behaviour that may lead to an emergency. I've learned how to manage my emotions and how to handle every medical emergency that presents itself to me as a professional for the City of Surrey. Management could be better, they are not out on the pool deck nor do they understand the job of a lifeguard. Staff morale is not important to them. They are more concerned with scheduling (often over book and overlapping) and making a profit. Often they make mistakes with shift scheduling. They do not know how to treat staff with respect, we are given 1 day of a year, yet they do not inform us that we are given 9 family days. I know this from the grapevine, not from upper management. When I call in sick, I am expected to present a doctor's note, which is fine; however, the problem lies not within presenting, but how I am treated until I present a doctor's note. They basically think I am lying up until presentation. I find this rude and unfair, I do not disrespect the system, when I call in sick it is legitimate. I will get a doctor's note, but until that time I expect to be treated with decency, which I am not. Upper management doesn't consider us important, they have treated us like we are liars. This is the hardest part of the job, but I truly love serving the public and doing everything in my ability to keep the pool a safe and enjoyable place for all community members.
Pros
good pay, good co workers
Cons
management
micro managed
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 August 2016
As a long time employee, the last 2 years has seen many changes and not many for the good. Meetings after meetings, more and more courses and inside hiring to managers kids friends etc.. Jobs that used to get done in short order now take 5 times as long due to so many other people involved in many simple job decisions.
Pros
Staff I work with directly
Cons
change after change after change
Great community and nice people
IT & Project Management (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 August 2016
A typical day at work would be going to meetings and communicating with many different people. My manager and co workers were very welcoming and friendly.
Pros
longer breaks
Cons
going to a lot of meetings
productive and fun workplace
Leader (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 July 2016
working for the city is a fun and great learning place, it teaches you about the community and how to work independently and as part of a team. the management and co workers are great and are always willing to help and answer questions. the best part is the atmosphere at the workplace it is fun and lively and everyone is like a family.
work with great people
Clerk 3. Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 June 2016
I love working with the people here. We have many wonderful people. A typical day is very busy, upbeat and always challenging.
productive place that allows you to grow
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 January 2016
great place to start off allows you to develop customer skills. very fun and caring environment, work could get a little busy and must be a good problem solver.
Pros
free slurpees
Cons
difficult solutions
Fun and helps connect with the community
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey-White Rock, BC8 January 2016
City of Surrey is a very fun place and you get to join in community services and meet new people. i enjoyed it because it allows you to have fun and join in activities and everyone sends awesome nice vibes
Pros
fun
Great volunteer opportunities
volunteering on day of Roots (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 December 2015
Really easy to become a volunteer and take part in festivals, events, fundraisers for the City of Surrey. Can also help out at the park, plants trees and flowers. Volunteers are provided with snacks while volunteering and breaks whenever you want. References are mailed to you which is a plus!
Pros
Snacks
Good working environment.
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 October 2015
Clean and modern workplace. Up to date equipment. Competitive benefit packages including Extended Health Care and Dental, Public transit subsidy, Municipal Pension and others.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Surrey. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5