City of Surrey

City of Surrey Employee Reviews

Canada87 reviews
Fun and Flexible work environment
Dealing with children all the time requires lots of energy so as a camp leader I constantly have to be thinking about how I can make the environment more fun. Since many of the employees are also students, scheduling is very flexible. This job has allowed to me experience many different children and has taught me valuable lessons on how to be more inclusive and understanding of all children.
Great place and team to work with
Great place and team to work with. Would recommend others to apply who are looking for work in a team setting and to work with the public while building relationships with the public.
Fun to Volunteer With
I have volunteered with the City multiple times. I cannot speak for how much they pay you and all that obviously, but I had a good time whenever I did volunteer - the staff are always very nice and approachable, and the environment overall is usually really fun.
Amazing place to work.
City of Surrey is a very flexible and fun place to work. The people who you work with are both inspiring and passionate. I look forward to going into work each day.
exciting and physically active job with fun loving coworkers
Camaraderie through shared experiences on the job makes for great cohesion through out the work place culture at the City of Surrey. The middle management sits in the trenches with the front line workers to help get things done and keep everyone happy. Though the upper management delivers a great deal of red tape down into the ranks and adds some confusion due to being far from the front day to day operations of the pool.
Very Fun
I was a volunteer for City of Surrey, which meant I was not paid for the work I did. It definitely was a great experience and I learned great skills. The people who were in charge of the volunteering events were flexible, which made we want to volunteer for them more.
Fun volunteer program that looks great on applications
The city of surrey has a widespread volunteer program with many different areas that is great for any age. Daily activities depend on which area you are assigned to.
Best Place to work
I love my job here and am excited to go to work and see what the day has in store. The company works hard to create a welcoming environment and educational experience.
Rewarding employment
During a typical day, as a lifeguard/instructor one will deal with time constraints, active drowning prevention, provide first aid and educate the public on water safety.
Volunteering is very rewarding.
I enjoyed my shifts as a volunteer and I find it to be a very rewarding experience. It's nice that I had the freedom to choose which shifts I would volunteer at.
good place to work
good place to work with, friendly people, management is little rough .
averall it a good place to work with benefits and wage is fair compare to other company plus it is stable and secure job
fun staff and awesome supervisors
Employees at guildford rec are welcoming and very helpful especially to new hires. Since i am a new hire that really helped me transition into a new workplace. Our initial training excluded items we needed to know in order to complete certain tasks like; bulkhead moves, moving flags, sauna steam room clean, fecal matter procedures, dolphins, little things like that. However, it was manageable because all the existing staff were super helpful and took their time to teach you and supervisors were very understanding. Because of my low seniority it's normal to not get scheduled any shifts for your first season but there are plenty of shifts to pick up which is great. Overall, super awesome work environment!!! Some cons, programmers and head guards often make a bunch of mistakes when covering shifts which can be stressful. For example, I RFL (request for leave) a day and it got confirmed but on that day they called me and asked why im late for my shift but it was supposed to be covered, turns out there was miscommunication. Another time I picked up a shift they texted out for example, 5:00-9:00 but on the way to work they were like why arent you here you shift starts at 4:30 im like but they sent out 5:00 and then you have to provide all this proof like the voicemail whatnot when it's not even your fault. I wish they would have a better system that would prevent all these errors. great pay, great people, super fun!!!!!!!
Really competitive for shifts
Its stressful working at a place where you don't know if you'll be working for them for weeks on end. The culture is geared toward being a yes man for your supervisor so they will maybe give you a pity shift.
Cos
Great place to work , good environment, staff and support. Challenging and rewarding. Good culture . You must enjoy the public service as this place is all about that
No job security within the Parks Department
They only hire auxiliary positions within the Parks department except for upper management. This creates lots of employee turn around and difficult working conditions.
gopod
A very nice place to work at. people are friendly and very team oriented. I love working for the City of Surrey. It is one of my favorite places to work compared to all my previous jobs.
Union environment
Was a great place to work. I loved my co workers and the pay was good. Paying for parking was the only part I didn't like about working there. Room to grow.
Keep ten toes down and watch your back
The job itself pays well with clear identifiable tasks - however, there is a tendency for staff, particularly auxiliary to feel overworked. Management style is fear based and due to the system utilized, most of the management staff have previously been promoted from unrelated positions, and therefore aren't necessarily suited to managing employees. Everyone is trying to watch their back and avoid punishment - being likeable and having strong leadership skills (genuine or not) can avoid punishment where it is due, and result in undeserved promotion. The City staff occasionally make strong efforts to implement the City's values through various initiatives, staff meetings (sometimes disciplinary). Staff must stand up for themselves and take precaution when performing tasks as sometimes City staff are asked to perform dangerous duties for which they are not trained/equipped - for example, mixing litres of bleach and splashing it around to clean facilities etc.
Room to Be Challenged
Work on the files in our area is varied and holds my interest on a daily basis, files are challenging and help expand my experience and education.

Being able to collaborate with my colleagues directly is a wonderful way to review and talk out more complex claim situations.
Pros
Extended Benefits & Pension
Cons
Lean Staffing Levels
Not the best employer
Auxiliary employees are not represented well and are treated poorly. 1/10 would not recommend. Management is picky on who they promote and it's not always based on skill. They make choices that will lead to unsafe environment based on who they like and how to save money.
Productive and fun place to work with children and staff
Supported and assisted children 3 to12-year-olds in Preschools and Before & After School Care with daily activities, playtime, games, life skills, and communication skills to provide an excellent learning experience to help achieve their goals
Instructor - Instructed and assisted children 5 to 12-year-olds in Clayworks and Creative Writing.

I worked and enjoyed learning the many different cultures in people and artwork.

My most enjoyable part of my job was the smiles on the children and parent's faces, and when they all thanked me for a wonderful day.