City of Surrey Employee Reviews

Fun day working great environment to work
Surrey youth council (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 August 2018
Leaned a lot and proud to know i made a difference with youth in Surrey. There was a free lunch and many programs happening. We were also given a tour of the whole city hall.
Pros
Free Lunch
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 July 2018
My first day was good i learned new thing.
I have learned to talk to people and welcome them in the program and i was showing them around.
The management team was amazing they would help you if u don't know what to do.
The job did had hard part it was fun and meeting new people from around the world.
Meeting new people from Different Cultures
Pros
Cons
6-8hrs
Difficult to move up
Community Service Assistant / Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 July 2018
Hard to move up into higher level positions. Kind of stuck with the job you have been hired to do. Not much room for growth. Great pay, but no benefits unless you make it to higher management.
Pros
Great hourly pay
Cons
Not much room for growth or advancement
They have nice people.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 May 2018
The Surrey Arts Gallery is a great place to volunteer at. The staff is extremely helpful and cooperative. They have a separate room for volunteers and provide them with snacks and beverages.
Pros
Seperate room for volunteers
Cons
Emails system is slow
fun
COMMUNITY SERVICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 May 2018
its a live and active work place where you get to always be doing something. you learn lots and its a great experience every shift. the people you work with are great and lots of fun to be around and working for they city is like family, you know that someone always has your back if you need it.
Pros
the atmosphere is fantastic
Cons
sometime clients are rude
Only volunteered
Summer Day Camp Recreation - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 May 2018
I volunteered for summer camps, in which was a fantastic experience as I develop skills to talk and handle children. The experience was fulfilling and would develop my skills to pursue a field where children is involved
Only stuck around for the pay
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 April 2018
Working at the north surrey rec centre pool was probably the most horrible work experience. There is no scope for growth here if you are not a favourite with the coordinator/programmer. There is blatant favouritism despite hours being by seniority and it being a unionized position. Moreover, the programmer, coordinator, and management rarely acknowledge positive performance. Rather, they are so quick to confront you and call you into meetings for the pettiest things. Meetings are full of hearsay and questionable accusations. Rarely anything solid. I would definitely not recommend picking the NSIP as a choice for pool if you pass the interviews. It is a small facility with BIG amounts of drama. The people behind the glass windows in the office are literally so bored they will call you out on anything. Whether it’s uniform, the way you’re standing to guard, probably even how you breathe.

Stay away.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bias, favouritism, cliques
Fun and diverse place to work
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor + Assistant Head Guard (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC21 March 2018
I was a lifeguard/swim instructor/assistant head guard. I have learnt a lot about myself and to work well with others. I loved working with people of all ages and from all backgrounds. I have also enjoyed working towards becoming an assistant head guard- this has provided me with various amounts of supervisory skills.
great working environment and excellent working hours
Engineering Assistant intern (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC30 January 2018
Really professional environment and I received excellent training from my supervisor which helped me complete task really well. I would recommend this job to anyone who is determined.
Pros
Great salary!
Cons
Limited responsibilities
Friendly work environment
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 January 2018
Overall working here is wonderful. The pay is really good, the staff are super friendly and easy to get along with, and the benefits are nice. However, it is difficult sometimes to get the shift you want because the system is based off of seniority. So if you're new you get stuck doing all teaching, which can get a bit rough if you're prone to getting cold. The pool space is also very limited when trying to teach class which can be difficult.

The best part of the job though, is being able to help your students learn, and see how much joy it brings them. This is an extremely important job, and it is definitely rewarding.
Pros
Good pay, short shifts, good for students
Cons
Cramped pool, seniority list
Best Employer in the lower mainland
Application Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 January 2018
City of Surrey is one of the best employer in BC, I would call myself lucky to get a job at the City of Surrey.
I have been working for City for the last 11 years, sometime its very challenging job working on 2-3 project simultaneously .

I like challenges, and would like to do more creative jobs
Cohesive and inclusive work place with endless opportunities
Day camp leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 December 2017
A typical day at work for a City of Surrey recreational employee starts with warm greetings from managers, other employees and students you teach/instruct. When working for the City you become a part of an inclusive, accepting and cohesive team. The workplace culture is nothing short of positive, productive and organized and allows the opportunity for furthered growth and learning. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work with new people and be able to become a bigger part of a child's life through helpful instruction and guiding.
Lifeguard Swim Instructor
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 November 2017
I really enjoyed working with the City of Surrey, particularly at the Guildford branch. The managers who work there are excellent and they do a very good job of making the work environment as pleasant as possible.

There was a couple of times where I made a mistake but my supervisors never made a big deal about the issue but made it an opportunity for me to improve as an employee.
Pros
Great Pay, Fun coworkers
Cons
Far drive from my home / difficult to get hours during some times of the year
Fun and engaging workplace
Doors Open Event - Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 August 2017
Everyone was really nice and easy to approach which made communicating easy. The Doors Open Event encouraged us to interact with people and work cohesively. Definitely would volunteer again.
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 July 2017
I have a volunteer of the city of Surrey since last year. Since then, I have volunteered at Canada day 2016, Surrey children's festival 2016, Party for the Planet 2016 and Fusion Festival 2016 with the city of Surrey. It was a breathtaking experience, I got to learn a lot from the individuals whom I was working with.
Pros
Free food
Cons
shifts could be long
Great place to gain volunteer hours
A Surrey Youth Stewardship Squad Member (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 May 2017
I really enjoy volunteering for the City of Surrey! I just started volunteering for the City of Surrey. I go in certain parks in Surrey and help keep the parks a better place. I help remove invasive plants and plant new plants for the summer.
Pros
Free snackes, gaining volunteer hours and meeting new people
Cons
Chance of getting injured
fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 May 2017
very fun volunteering place, many events to volunteer at and very relaxed place to work at. not very busy and stuff. sometimes disorganized but still pretty chill
A great place to grow, and start a career
MyZone- Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 May 2017
Community and work go hand in hand. Plugging in a passion with work can be done with ease. There is never a dull moment at work, and never a need to be bored.
Great Pay
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 December 2016
Great pay, but no guarantee you will get hours to work. Advances within departments are often based on friendships.Prepare to teach 40hrs a week to start.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Promotions are not always appropriate.
Recommended
Volunteer Experiences (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 October 2016
The city of surrey is a great opportunity to get some volunteer experience. Every event you go to, you will learn something new and valuable that will help you later on find a job.
Pros
Great Managment, training
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Surrey. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4