City of St. John's

City of St. John's Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
Relaxed environment with decent wage, good benefits and life balance. Can make good money in the winter if the weather hits hard. Lots of overtime available.
Really fun and fast paced work. You grow close with your co workers and have fun doing team building excersises during down time, such as Swimming or cards or trust excersises.
Very good spot. Wages are good and the work is decent.
Very good for family and quality of life.

Best hours and money for this type of job. Loved dealing with people.
I love working with the City of St. John's. They provide many opportunities for training and becoming the best you can be. They offer training and provide you with many skills to use for self care.
Pros
Pension
Hours are great and staff is friendly. Very fun and important to teach children how to swim and yields a good income. A good way to use your first aid training as well as other programs.
While the days are typically long and the kids may not want to listen all the time. This was the best and the most fun I've ever had in a work environment. Everyone got along so well and it made the whole experience perfect
Pros
9-5 on weekday, weekends off
Cons
N/a
A good place to work. Lots outside activities. Training when needed. Safety courses are kept updated. Excerise classes at lunch breaks. Unionized company. Friendly staff.
Typical day. Helping tourists find wher they want to go & what to see. Answering phones & emails. Stocking shelves with literature
In my recent job experience with The City of St. John’s I have had the opportunity to operate various large mechanical equipment vehicles including 330 DL Caterpillar, 950 Loader Caterpillar, 15Ton Compact Roller, Mac Tandem Tandem, 450 John Deer Excavator and Tag Trailer’s.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
I worked my way up from an entry level position to a management position during my tenure there. There was lots of access to other city programs and a good future there.
Pros
Access to facilities
Cons
Working as a camp counselor with the City of St. John's is a great job for students. You make better pay than the other camps in the city and there are many different locations to fit your needs.
This is not actually a job. I am only requested to leave this review because of a quirk in Indeed's pdf analysis program, due to my resume upload displaying training and work experience together
City of St. John's was a great place to work, as you learn many different jobs before getting a permanent job in a department. The people were great to work with, the pay was really good, and the prospect of advancement was very good.
Pros
Learn different skills with every job.
Cons
Shorter work day than most jobs.
The training program was excellent for the short period of time that it took place. I learned about socializing more with the people around me. I enjoyed the way it encouraged confidence.
Unionized work environment. Good wage, benefits, summer and winter jobs.
Aging work force, advancement is slow. People are slow to retire here, they work well into the 30 and 40 year periods.
Pros
Good wage, good work expectations
Cons
Old work force, seniority list is slow to move.
I was injured on the job, subsequent surgery and i was terminated while on compensation. They then realized their mistake and changed termination to lay-off unannounced to me.
Not a bad place to work, but maybe not the most challenging place if you are looking for a fast placed environment. A typical government employer, security, but less pressure to preform.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Not overly challenging
Very organized in program implementation and training. Decent at providing employees with the necessary tools for completing tasks. Pay was above average for other jobs of the same nature.
Pros
Decent Salary
Cons
Managers
Workplace culture went beyond my expectations. Very helpful work environment, with extremely knowledgeable staff that were open to my input and ideas and facilitated my learning.
you are only as good as your employee # layoffs and union is the pitts especially cupe1289.....

your work does not be noticed or valued.
Pros
co workers
Cons
union
The morale is very low among staff at this organization.Advancement is impossible and job security s poor. Management has few skills in effectively getting their job done.