CITY OF ST. CATHARINES

CITY OF ST. CATHARINES Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
Good hours and pay for a student sumer job. Foreman was easy to get along with and wsd very helpful. Learned a lot about landscaping and safety while with the City.
Great working environment, found management to be easy to work with, understanding and accomodating. I really enjoyed everyday of work for the City of S. Catharines. The management prepares you well, is always available if you need anything, and is super helpful. The team members are great, all really supportive and outgoing. Sometimes fast paced, high intensity rescues occur but you feel well prepared. Overall, a really great experience.
I was on contract with the City covering a maternity leave. I enjoyed my time working with the Legal Department. Great people. Would definitely return to work here in the future if the opportunity arose.
It was awesome. Great experience. Incredible management. Nice city with great views and competitive wages. Very nice place to work. Now I’m just trying to max characters.
Everyone that you work with is great. Safety is always first. Shifts vary but are all great shifts, great place for advancement. Very positive environment
Your typical lifeguarding job for the city of st. catharines. Overall it was a fun work experience for when I was young and enjoyed it while in highschool.
They play favorites and a lot is expected of the staff. Working alone in most of the time makes the job harder. Don't feel appreciated as a staff member even when I go above and beyond my duties. There is no pay raise or room for advancement.
Great Company To work for- excellent culture of professionalism and service delivery with an emphasis on employee well being/morale. Advancement could seem to be tough at times
The staff you work with are always incredible. i have made friends at that job that will last a lifetime. The teamwork required enables staff to get very close and very familiar with eachother
Flood the rink every 1-2 hours, maintain a clean work environment in between floods, attend to any customer needs while resolving any problems, clean the entire place at the end of the night
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Lazy co-workers
Flaws include from a student part time position are no room for advancement, seniority for full time positions takes place however there is a good work-life balance while in school.
Pros
Stress free
Cons
No room for advancement as a student position who has been there for 3 years
The City of St. Catharines was an amazing place to work during the summer. The employers and other employees are very easy to get to know and work with. They are also very flexible and accepting of personal life issues and work with you one on one to ensure personal life and work life are completed to the best of your ability.
Great for students in need of full time employment through the summer. 40 hours a week, work with fellow students, outside all day, easy to return each summer
To be a school crossing guard was overall a great community service as I got to meet & greet the children and their parents daily.

The hardest part of the job was standing outside in either very hot and humid weather or very cold and damp weather.

When drivers obeyed the STOP sign and the one long whistle it was a pleasure to go to work, but there was the odd time a driver would be distracted with their cell phone or just not paying attention / speeding and those moments did not make for a good experience. Thankfully, there are rules in place where the children don't start crossing the street until the crossing guard gives the ALL CLEAR with two short whistles and all the children at my crossing always made it safely to school and safely home again.
Pros
meet and greet the public
Cons
bad weather / distracted drivers
Water flower beds and flower baskets around the city. The work was fast paced and there was always room to learn something new. it was a great experience.
*Unpacking packages and arranging them from sizes to types.
* I learnt that everyone has always something to contribute. and the importance of working in group.

*Amazing co-worker because we help each other if we were stuck on our own task.

* Having tones of work unexpectedly.

* Doing what you love with amazing people by your side.
Pros
Dinner Hangout time
Cons
Long Hours
Great team environment where working together is necessary in completing a common goal. Constantly being in the public-eye required us to stay professional and stay on task. I was in constant communication with the public so being able to effectively speak to them was necessary in terms of passing on valuable information or defusing potential hostile situations. These jobs were only available to students so it was nice to have consistent summer employment to make money to pay for school.
Pros
Constant work hours, fair wage, work outside, working in teams
I enjoy my summer employment with the City of St. Catharines. I was able to work in a team environment. I also enjoyed telling guests of the Carousal the history

My job duties consisted of:

Maintained and provided a safe environment for patrons and staff of the Carousel

- Assisted with set-up, cleanup and operation of Carousel

- Assisted with cash duties involving Carousel tickets and gift shop

- Assisted with special events
Pros
hours were very good
Absolutely great employees and a fun atmosphere to work with people.
A typical day at work started with opening and setting up the pool facility. After that I would take the cash float out and open up the cash register and then I would welcome and greet patrons coming in to use the pool facility. Throughout the day I would perform cash transactions for patrons using the pool and purchasing memberships, and help with any groups/schools coming into the facility. I would also help my supervisors with any office duties needed, as well as general cleanliness of the office, change rooms and pool deck. Also I provided general first aid or help to any patrons in need. I learned a lot from this job, as I worked with a large variety of people (both coworkers and patrons). I learned improved interpersonal skills, applied first aid skills, how to effectively deal with many different situations involving the public and coworkers and improved organizational skills. I really enjoyed working with my supervisors, as they were always helpful and understanding. The hardest part of my job was when higher up management did not stand behind the lifeguards and staff when we enforced rules and polices, but I understand that they have to satisfy the public. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with and helping children, especially in the summertime.
Pros
everyday was different and exciting.
Cons
being fired and re-hired each session (summer, fall, winter, spring)