City of St. Albert
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

City of St. Albert Employee Reviews

Canada31 reviews

goodworkmanagementjobplacetimepeoplehour

Public Works department was a positive, collaborative, and friendly place to work.

My position was to plan and schedule maintenance and inspections for 103 playgrounds, 76 facilities and many other assets owned within the municipality. We managed a staff of up to twenty two skilled and unskilled workers during the summer season, and twelve during the winter.

Pros

Family environment, all the staff are welcoming and friendly.

Cons

long hours when I was in the on-call rotation.

An amazing place to work

In the Community Services branch, I have met really passionate people who work together seamlessly. The collaboration is amazing. Best place I have ever worked.

Pros

Hybrid work/home options and earned day off

Cons

Long way from where I live

Insights into City of St. Albert

Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

No onboarding and zero mentorship

Manager was an antivaxxer/conspiracy nut and recorded questions about job tasks as shortcomings. No onboarding, scope creep, no mentorship into extremely complex role. Instructions were generally vague, yet specific, unrevealed, high-end results were expected. The rest of the team seemed incredibly over-worked, yet friendly. The city gym is pretty good.

Public works poorly managed

Unproductive . People there just for a pension . Team leads for every little task . Micro managed , but most of the useless people there need that . Sit and not do a thing till they are told .

Positive workplace culture

My experience has included management that listens and actively works with staff to solve problems through open communication. A good work life balance is encouraged.

Pros

Work life balance is encouraged

I love working at Fountain Park!

I currently work at the pool as an instructor and it is by far the best job I've ever had. I don't really even consider it much of a job because my coworkers and my bosses are all great and do everything in their power to help us be successful in our jobs and can focus on teaching. There are always ups and downs with classes but that's just part of being a teacher. That being said, it's definitely a really nice place to teach.

Pros

Good pay Good hours Good management

Great environment on the fitness & instructing side, terrible & most toxic environment I have ever worked with on the lifeguarding team.

If you are looking for a healthy lifeguarding work environment this is NOT the place for you (fountain park). I would not recommend this place to anybody. Although the pay might seem appealing, it should not come at the expense of your mental health. The problem starts at the very top of the ladder and trickles down onto each and every employee & leaves them feeling undervalued and unappreciated. Don’t waste your time, find somewhere that will value who you are and all the work that you can provide.

Pros

Some great friendships, decent pay

Cons

Everything else

Terrible management (Transit garage)

Worked here previously and it was ok, typical day was fast paced and steady work but it seems the management doesn’t abide by union standards and worker rights always. They micro manage you and talk badly behind your back which creates a very stressful workplace that isn’t very practical to be in. They preach rules that they don’t follow and slave drive you just to watch you work.. seriously it’s bad. They give their favourite employees the benefits of overtime etc. If they had a less “slave driving” team leader and a more professional manager, this place would be better. The manager often will put down other people in front of the staff and it’s just extremely inappropriate to say the least. Don’t expect to move up, and don’t expect to get your benefit ls easily. You want that holiday you’re entitled to? Well you’ll get a cold stare and glare for taking the time off because “we’re busy” ... truth is, we are always busy.

A place to meet new friends

I always felt welcomed by my peers. Having people around you enjoyed and knew you could trust really helped in stressful situations. You always knew if something went wrong someone would have your back.

Great time

Lifeguards are more than just good swimmers. They are water rescue professionals trained in emergency care. They prevent accidents. They identify hazards and determine safe practices. They educate the public about the hazards and risks associated with aquatic activities and how to be Water Smart®. And they are trained to spot potential trouble and intervene before it becomes life-threatening.

collaborative and supportive work environment

very good people on the team that I worked with. lots of unique experience brought to the table and interesting work completed with many levels of government

Fun Team environment

I worked on the horticulture crew over the summer of 2019, This was a sometimes slow job, and extremely repetitive. Even so, this was my favourite job as of yet, with a superb team and management the summer flew by. Would recommend.

Part time casual Librarian Aide

Working for the City of St. Albert was a rewarding experience. The job description offered me many learning opportunities and advancement to a position where more responsibilities and skills were acquired. Casual part time hours allowed me to pursue other interests.

informative and professional and to the point

the job they put me in suited me perfectly, job training and safety training was done before starting and crew was very welcoming and helpful with orientation.

Great Summer Job

Was a great place to work over the summer while on break from school. Met lots of great people and the City is very flexible. Great place to work for students.

Good pay, Management does not care.

While the pay is decent (other cities/counties pay more) the work culture and management could be better. shift coverage is next to impossible and as a worker it is very clear that you are expendable. sometimes OH&S and AHS protocols are not followed (Management and front line staff at fault).

I found a collaborative, positive team

I enjoy going to work every day. I have learned so many new things. I'm very thankful for the opportunity this company gave it to me, and I am taking advantage of every opportunity.

St.Albert Transit great place to screw the pooch.

I work here ... lots of drama...I love drama. Plus my team leader loves working here because hes a slave driving C u n t that has his own paid swimming schedule. Things need to change.

Pros

A manager that gives us a thumbs up and calls us men of steal (gay?)

Cons

But no freebie swimming lessons unless your a transit team leader

Friendly and interesting place to work.

Typical day involved production of reports and letters. Reception and telephone inquiries. Department liaison. Most enjoyable part of job was the people.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

was a temporary position

Great training

Great people to work with. Well structured and provided good tools to work with. Follow-up was consistent and professional. This was a temporary position regarding the city census.

Pros

Well structured

Cons

Could have paid a bit better, but ok.

Flexible, enjoyable job

Worked as a lifeguard, and the position came with lots of flexibility. Managers were nice, if not a bit disorganized at times. Was expected to work hard, but paid very well for the work we did.

Pros

Good wage

Cons

High expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of St. Albert. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement