City of Saskatoon, SK

City of Saskatoon, SK Employee Reviews

High stress, toxic management

Job itself can be very stressful. Management add a lot of unnecessary stress. Great group of co workers. Lots of split shifts, very difficult to get weekends off. Holidays are based on seniority making it difficult to get desirable time off. (Winter and summer holidays)

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Stress, split shifts, hard to get time off, management.

Enjoyable

Great place to work, pay is good. Safety is up to standard. Sometimes management seems disconnected with regular staff but it only hinders departments rarely.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Bad culture

Regular Rotating Workload. Clerical support and customer inquiries are handled by phone and in person. In this department building and plumbing permits are processed for both commercial and residential projects.

Good Pay work is not that hard!!

Only thing bad about working for the Parks Dept. is most jobs are only seasonal...Management does not always listen to employees..The part i like most about working for the city is that i ;earned to operate different types of equipment.

Pros

Good Place to work

Cons

Not full-time

city of saskatoon

my day is pretty simple I work by myself and I pick every garbage container that is out on my route. the hardest part of the job is actually getting to know the routes its easy when u drive the same truck every week

micro managed to death

all the joy is stripped from management. It is micro managed to a point where days off were denied because the manager didn't want to do the paperwork.

Decent short-term job but management is a mess

With overtime a lot of money can be made with the City but there is little incentive to improve or even care at all about your work. Extremely little accountability and promotions seem to go to the worst possible people. It's okay for a short while but I wouldn't stick around too long.

Good seasonal work.

Love my job as an operator. Duties are flexible as you can go from operating equipment to helping out with horticulture duties. Just wish that there were more full time positions available in my department.

Inclusive and positive work place.

Inclusive and positive work environment. Has a union and follows union standards. Management can be mildly disorganized but is overall successful. More promotion of the branch's services at schools and public places could improve attendance at summer youth centers. Enjoyable people to work with.

Pros

inclusive work place

Cons

mild struggles with organization and timelines

Union job

Union based. Quotas are really low to achieve and exceeding them gets you in trouble. Lost my job because I wanted to excel. Let go days before my 3 month period was almost finished so they could fire me with no cause.

Jobs at City of Saskatoon, SK

See more jobs

a typical day at work

A typical day at work for me would be to arrive at 8:09 and work on work that has been assigned to me throughout the day. Some of the work I do is research on projects, which I do enjoy. I do not get to interact with the public as much in my job as I did in previous positions. I miss this a lot as I like to work with others and help and guide them. Typically, throughout the day, I will take breaks often to get away from the computer. Sitting is too hard on the body and being an active person like myself, I need to move around a lot. The work I do is very interesting as it deals with managing the assets of the City. I never realized how much Infrastructure we have in our City. Maintaining this Infrastructure is important as we need to have make sure the services we offer are in good working condition. Everyday, I am very glad to be part of the team.

Pros

EDO get off every third Friday

Cons

The work place culture, not every is accepted.

Fun work environment

I had a fun filled day of meeting and working with new people in an upbeat and friendly environment. It was a long day but except for one or two instances we all seemed to work well together.

Unprofessional Environment

The city has lots of great people that care about the overall well being and delivery of services to citizens. Unfortunately, the culture and work environment is toxic.

Perfect environment to work in

I used to take care of the water systems and was working as a security at the same time. Got a good experience of government job. I was able to manage my time table and routine as well.

Productive workplace with many advancement opportunities

While this is not where I chose to work for the rest of my life as I find myself more suited to the IT field, the 3 years I spent there were amazing. Absolutely great people. The required duties and assigned work were definitely fulfilling, and a good challenge at times. Working outside all summer long is a great experience that I will never forget. I highly recommend working for them if you are a student looking to make some extra cash, or even someone who is genuinely interested in horticulture and park maintenance. These people take their job very seriously and strive to upkeep the parks and garden areas for the citizens in the area.

Pros

Staff breakfasts, full time hours, good benefits upon full time employment.

Fun atmosphere

Small office environment. Fun people to work with. Answered the phone. Gave directions to how to get to the office. Booked meetings for the boardroom.

Fun, low stress workplace

Typical day: Reviewing emails Running scheduled tasks Printing bills and invoices for the people of Saskatoon Many opportunities within the city for possible advancement.

Pros

Availability of online training

Cons

minimum of a Bachelors degree

fun, fast paced working environment

a typical day of work can consist of multiple rush sequences, everyone works as a team and works to better benefit each other and the company by selling and making profit for the business.

Pros

$12.00 free lunch charge for each shift.

Cons

Heated Kitchen, in one position for

Fun and productive atmosphere. Good place to learn new skills

A very safety orientated place to work with high regard for their employees. All safety equipment is provided by them. everyone is very friendly and willing to help you if needed.

working experience was awsome

i loved the environment except one thing that I was working alone so my management will never able to know my abilities and they have to judge me on some random basis as they never worked with me physically.

Highly Recommended

Great place to work, very organized with no room for half-effort(s). Great management. Meetings are always productive/useful, as well. Ideal for full-time or shift-work.

Pros

City Hall Cafeteria

Cons

Equipment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Saskatoon, SK. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement