City of Saskatoon, SK
Happiness score is 50 out of 100

City of Saskatoon, SK Employee Reviews

Canada107 reviews

citysupervisorfuncultureexperiencefriendlycoworkerslot

Job security and good benefits

I enjoy working here and like that your home every night. Has good benefits and decent pay. Good work environment. Made some friends here and supervisors are helpful.

Pros

4 ten hour shifts

Cons

Working in extreme conditions

Need to be able to handle stressful situations

time management is a major task at this employer, working a lot of hours and split shifts are required. working alone and handling many different situations during your shift while working and dealing the public are the major factors in this job.

Insights into City of Saskatoon, SK

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Fullfilling job with great financial benefits

With the amount of leisure facilities in the city, this is an awesome job for a person who doesn't like to stay in one place for long periods of time.

Work Placement

Excellent place to work while on my work placement program, just unfortunate there was no job guarantee. Lots of work to be done, no real sense of urgency strangely enough

Very vibrant work culture.

I started in the city of Saskatoon as a temporary labor. I had all the college qualifications to become the plant operator. The management were very helpful in keeping me informed about all the certifications i should acquire in order to apply for the job in operations at the water or waste water treatment plants. When the opportunity arrived I had everything ready to be a successful candidate. I worked both at the water and waste water treatment plants in the city of Saskatoon and my experience was simply put awesome.

Pros

Great opportunities within the city, great work culture, provides safe workplace.

Secretary 2

I was brought on board for specialized duties. The diversity team saw that i had knowledge that could be utilized in entering data to the employee database over a period of 9 months. I was invited to my schools career fair workshop for the city of Saskatoon as a working example for after training. I did the first screening for the temporary seasonal recruitment process from start to completion.

transit was rewarding

23 years serving the city was a career liked the regulars on a daily bases a growing city environment co-workers social events put on by the transit social

Pros

serving the city

Cons

winter driving

Toxic!!

Working for the city is stressful. They are bullies. They lie, threaten and bully their employees. They will go as far as making up pages of lies to have you suspended.

Pros

Pay, benefits

Cons

Management makes up lies bc they love to bully people, no one knows what they are doing. Complete joke.

excellent experience

I loved working for the City of Saskatoon as well as the YWCA. I was treated very well. The focus was on client satisfaction as well as staff learning and wellbeing.

Pros

variable shift options

Enjoyable

Great place to work, pay is good. Safety is up to standard. Sometimes management seems disconnected with regular staff but it only hinders departments rarely.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Bad culture

Regular Rotating Workload. Clerical support and customer inquiries are handled by phone and in person. In this department building and plumbing permits are processed for both commercial and residential projects.

Good Pay work is not that hard!!

Only thing bad about working for the Parks Dept. is most jobs are only seasonal...Management does not always listen to employees..The part i like most about working for the city is that i ;earned to operate different types of equipment.

Pros

Good Place to work

Cons

Not full-time

city of saskatoon

my day is pretty simple I work by myself and I pick every garbage container that is out on my route. the hardest part of the job is actually getting to know the routes its easy when u drive the same truck every week

micro managed to death

all the joy is stripped from management. It is micro managed to a point where days off were denied because the manager didn't want to do the paperwork.

Decent short-term job but management is a mess

With overtime a lot of money can be made with the City but there is little incentive to improve or even care at all about your work. Extremely little accountability and promotions seem to go to the worst possible people. It's okay for a short while but I wouldn't stick around too long.

Good seasonal work.

Love my job as an operator. Duties are flexible as you can go from operating equipment to helping out with horticulture duties. Just wish that there were more full time positions available in my department.

Inclusive and positive work place.

Inclusive and positive work environment. Has a union and follows union standards. Management can be mildly disorganized but is overall successful. More promotion of the branch's services at schools and public places could improve attendance at summer youth centers. Enjoyable people to work with.

Pros

inclusive work place

Cons

mild struggles with organization and timelines

Union job

Union based. Quotas are really low to achieve and exceeding them gets you in trouble. Lost my job because I wanted to excel. Let go days before my 3 month period was almost finished so they could fire me with no cause.

a typical day at work

A typical day at work for me would be to arrive at 8:09 and work on work that has been assigned to me throughout the day. Some of the work I do is research on projects, which I do enjoy. I do not get to interact with the public as much in my job as I did in previous positions. I miss this a lot as I like to work with others and help and guide them. Typically, throughout the day, I will take breaks often to get away from the computer. Sitting is too hard on the body and being an active person like myself, I need to move around a lot. The work I do is very interesting as it deals with managing the assets of the City. I never realized how much Infrastructure we have in our City. Maintaining this Infrastructure is important as we need to have make sure the services we offer are in good working condition. Everyday, I am very glad to be part of the team.

Pros

EDO get off every third Friday

Cons

The work place culture, not every is accepted.

Fun work environment

I had a fun filled day of meeting and working with new people in an upbeat and friendly environment. It was a long day but except for one or two instances we all seemed to work well together.

Unprofessional Environment

The city has lots of great people that care about the overall well being and delivery of services to citizens. Unfortunately, the culture and work environment is toxic.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Saskatoon, SK. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement