City of Saskatoon, SK
Happiness score is 50 out of 100

City of Saskatoon, SK Employee Reviews

citysupervisorfuncultureexperiencefriendlycoworkerslot

Job security and good benefits

I enjoy working here and like that your home every night. Has good benefits and decent pay. Good work environment. Made some friends here and supervisors are helpful.

Pros

4 ten hour shifts

Cons

Working in extreme conditions

Verytbi

It’s hard to get a job without connections now is you don’t have a friend or family member who work or know comeone on top of the place your applying a job it’s hard to get hired.

Insights into City of Saskatoon, SK

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Collaborative, positive workplace. Meaningful work.

Enjoyed working in public service where my work positively impacted citizens and improved the community. I also enjoyed working with others who had the same values.

Pros

Good culture, pay, benefits, staff, flexibility and holiday time

Cons

No complaints!

Wouldn't recommend working for the city to anyone.

Terrible, toxic, relationship with management. Unsafe work practices, no advancement, pay is mediocre. It used to be a really great place to work, it isn't anymore.

Good Place to work overall

Pay is very good, EDO's are great. Some bosses are amazing and understanding, others are bitter and jaded. It depends on who you work with, but most people are really laid back and easygoing.

Pros

EDO's, pay for education

Fun place to work

I had a great time working for the city. My only reason for leaving is that I had to take care of my children for a some. Great place to work for. Good pay aswell

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Hours

Very inefficient/ tax dollars wasted/ unhealthy

Worked with a group of mechanics - parks branch, became very unhealthy for my health to have to try to waste time all day as requested by Manager and supervisor, Drive around and waste tax dollars was the goal there, I would rather have kept busy in the shop and been productive, but wasn’t an option because they’d make your life difficult.Safety was a issue with unauthorized staff coming in work place area (Shop) all the time Union and HR basically are one together.Hiring friends that have no experience or ambition to work than sublet work out to other vendors, over other applicants that would have experience.Was so unhealthy I quit along with other good mechanics in the past

Pros

Gaining experience / knowledge from other Departments Employees

Cons

Unhealthy for wanting to be productive

Relaxed outdoor work with a team environment

I enjoyed my work as a seasonal labourer. Although the job can be physically demanding, you get to be outside all day in the summer and can take pride in maintaining our city's wonderful parks. Management can be hard to deal with, and the culture can be clique-y, but overall it's a fun place to work. Beware that as a seasonal employee, you don't qualify for benefits. I worked for them for 6 years and never qualified because I didn't have enough CONSECUTIVE hours.

Pros

every third Friday off (EDO), outdoors

Cons

no benefits

High stress, toxic management

Job itself can be very stressful. Management add a lot of unnecessary stress. Great group of co workers. Lots of split shifts, very difficult to get weekends off. Holidays are based on seniority making it difficult to get desirable time off. (Winter and summer holidays)

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Stress, split shifts, hard to get time off, management.

Fun and excitement

Every thing doing well and I love working with them, very friendly and we have some fun. My co worker and I help us each other, my supervisor thought me a lot.

Pros

Big salary

Cons

Hot inside pool area

not productive not fun stressful

bad experience in the city transit maintenance I feel I am not welcome to work here the management it's so very stressful I should quit earlier my mistake I'm trying to kill the pain it took me 8 years before I realize I do not belong here

Pros

no free

Cons

stressful

Recruitment process dragged on and on

I applied for the same engineering position twice at the City.For the first time I applied, the interview was more than a month after the posting closed. Then it took a month after the interview in order to get a firm answer on the outcome. Very painful.For the second time I applied, it took them 3 months to try to decide what to do with recruiting the position, and they ultimately cancelled the process. Pretty lame, and real lack of communication from a large organization.

Productive and fun work place and there so many opportunity for growth

I enjoyed my work here, the management is good and my coworkers are supportive. I miss my work here and given a chance i would still work here at City of Saskatoon

excellent place to work

Good environment when it comes to having opportunities for advancement. The best thing about it is work/life balance. Great working outside and very friendly enviroment

Pros

gives you working experience

Cons

same routine

Micromanaged through the roof

Manager doesnt know what they are doing, director makes comments that are untruthful, showed true colors during covid. This place is very micromanaged not allowed to have a thought of your own and, the trainer has been there since highschool and if you bring up some ideas to implement during training they get defensive. Most people stay there for the money because they are stuck st this point. Managment in the last 5 years is the worst!

Very fun and inclusive work environment

I was in charge of a summer camp with my partner. I met a lot of great kids and had fun spending the summer with them. The work staff was also great and I had a great supervisor. I would definitely recommend working here!

Pros

Free Lunches if you forgot yours, Great kids and staff, had no problems with parents

Cons

Only a summer position

Great Place to Work!

Loved working here it was very fun, very flexible and good pay. Casual hours for the job, but the job its self was also very casual and laid back. Afternoon hours.

Supportive work environment

All the areas work together to help each other, even if the job itself is independent. Everyone is supportive and helps each other grow and become better at their job or help advance each others careers. everyone is well respected, and our opinions do not go unnoticed.

Fun and functional place to work.

This was a fun and upbeat place to work. I made my own choreography and chose my own music. I had freedom to teach the way I felt comfortable. Always encouraging!

Nice gym community

Working for the city of Saskatoon fitness centres has been great! Flexible hours for work, free gym membership for trainers, and great parking too. I highly recommend applying if you have the proper qualifications

Very friendly staff to work with great job experience Outdoor work Relaxed work environment Fair pay Unfortunately only seasonal employment and would prefer full time I recommend to work for city

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Saskatoon, SK. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement