City of Saskatoon, SK Employee Reviews

Very vibrant work culture.
Assistant plant operator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 May 2019
I started in the city of Saskatoon as a temporary labor. I had all the college qualifications to become the plant operator. The management were very helpful in keeping me informed about all the certifications i should acquire in order to apply for the job in operations at the water or waste water treatment plants. When the opportunity arrived I had everything ready to be a successful candidate. I worked both at the water and waste water treatment plants in the city of Saskatoon and my experience was simply put awesome.
Pros
Great opportunities within the city, great work culture, provides safe workplace.
Racism, micromanagement
Lab Tech assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 April 2019
I have worked for few months. Too much micromanaging. Few people are good. If you are non white, will be noticed people are ignoring you. If you are not white don’t apply for jobs, you will not get any call.
Pros
Cons
Very bad culture
Secretary 2
Secretary II, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 March 2019
I was brought on board for specialized duties. The diversity team saw that i had knowledge that could be utilized in entering data to the employee database over a period of 9 months. I was invited to my schools career fair workshop for the city of Saskatoon as a working example for after training. I did the first screening for the temporary seasonal recruitment process from start to completion.
transit was rewarding
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 March 2019
23 years serving the city was a career
liked the regulars on a daily bases
a growing city environment
co-workers
social events put on by the transit social
Pros
serving the city
Cons
winter driving
Toxic!!
Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 March 2019
Working for the city is stressful. They are bullies. They lie, threaten and bully their employees. They will go as far as making up pages of lies to have you suspended.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management makes up lies bc they love to bully people, no one knows what they are doing. Complete joke.
excellent experience
Life Guard/Swim Instructor/aqua-fitness instructor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 February 2019
I loved working for the City of Saskatoon as well as the YWCA. I was treated very well. The focus was on client satisfaction as well as staff learning and wellbeing.
Pros
variable shift options
Enjoyable
Irrigation Technician (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 December 2018
Great place to work, pay is good. Safety is up to standard. Sometimes management seems disconnected with regular staff but it only hinders departments rarely.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad culture
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 November 2018
Regular Rotating Workload. Clerical support and customer inquiries are handled by phone and in person. In this department building and plumbing permits are processed for both commercial and residential projects.
Good Pay work is not that hard!!
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 November 2018
Only thing bad about working for the Parks Dept. is most jobs are only seasonal...Management does not always listen to employees..The part i like most about working for the city is that i ;earned to operate different types of equipment.
Pros
Good Place to work
Cons
Not full-time
city of saskatoon
ULTITY COLLECTION OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 November 2018
my day is pretty simple I work by myself and I pick every garbage container that is out on my route. the hardest part of the job is actually getting to know the routes its easy when u drive the same truck every week
micro managed to death
Credit & Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 October 2018
all the joy is stripped from management. It is micro managed to a point where days off were denied because the manager didn't want to do the paperwork.
Decent short-term job but management is a mess
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 October 2018
With overtime a lot of money can be made with the City but there is little incentive to improve or even care at all about your work. Extremely little accountability and promotions seem to go to the worst possible people. It's okay for a short while but I wouldn't stick around too long.
Good seasonal work.
Labourer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 October 2018
Love my job as an operator. Duties are flexible as you can go from operating equipment to helping out with horticulture duties. Just wish that there were more full time positions available in my department.
Inclusive and positive work place.
SUMMER PLAY PROGRAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK27 September 2018
Inclusive and positive work environment. Has a union and follows union standards. Management can be mildly disorganized but is overall successful. More promotion of the branch's services at schools and public places could improve attendance at summer youth centers. Enjoyable people to work with.
Pros
inclusive work place
Cons
mild struggles with organization and timelines
Union job
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 August 2018
Union based. Quotas are really low to achieve and exceeding them gets you in trouble. Lost my job because I wanted to excel. Let go days before my 3 month period was almost finished so they could fire me with no cause.
a typical day at work
Infrastructure Analyst (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 July 2018
A typical day at work for me would be to arrive at 8:09 and work on work that has been assigned to me throughout the day. Some of the work I do is research on projects, which I do enjoy. I do not get to interact with the public as much in my job as I did in previous positions. I miss this a lot as I like to work with others and help and guide them.

Typically, throughout the day, I will take breaks often to get away from the computer. Sitting is too hard on the body and being an active person like myself, I need to move around a lot.

The work I do is very interesting as it deals with managing the assets of the City. I never realized how much Infrastructure we have in our City. Maintaining this Infrastructure is important as we need to have make sure the services we offer are in good working condition.

Everyday, I am very glad to be part of the team.
Pros
EDO get off every third Friday
Cons
The work place culture, not every is accepted.
Fun work environment
Issuing Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 July 2018
I had a fun filled day of meeting and working with new people in an upbeat and friendly environment. It was a long day but except for one or two instances we all seemed to work well together.
Unprofessional Environment
Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 July 2018
The city has lots of great people that care about the overall well being and delivery of services to citizens. Unfortunately, the culture and work environment is toxic.
Perfect environment to work in
Fill and Drain Padding pool (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 June 2018
I used to take care of the water systems and was working as a security at the same time. Got a good experience of government job. I was able to manage my time table and routine as well.
Productive workplace with many advancement opportunities
Parks Department Laborer and Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 May 2018
While this is not where I chose to work for the rest of my life as I find myself more suited to the IT field, the 3 years I spent there were amazing. Absolutely great people. The required duties and assigned work were definitely fulfilling, and a good challenge at times. Working outside all summer long is a great experience that I will never forget. I highly recommend working for them if you are a student looking to make some extra cash, or even someone who is genuinely interested in horticulture and park maintenance. These people take their job very seriously and strive to upkeep the parks and garden areas for the citizens in the area.
Pros
Staff breakfasts, full time hours, good benefits upon full time employment.