CITY OF SARNIA
Here to help
Coronavirus update

CITY OF SARNIA Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
I worked as a Transit Operator and started from the bottom as a part time worker and went up the ladder from Spare to Full time. It is a great job it you like people and also can handle driving in various weather conditions. Hours vary and you must be able to work days, nights and weekends even over some holidays. I found that if you remain flexible and open minded this is a very good job.
Pros
You get to meet a lot of people.
Cons
In the beginning at Transit the hours are unschedule but after time much better.
I was set up by my manager and a HR manager to take the fall because of their mistake!! Lawsuit is coming for wrongful dismissal!! The union is a joke and won't help depending on the department your in.
Starts with Mayor Mike Bradley and runs rapid down through the ranks of management. Horrible management!!! Had no safety program, departments don’t work together ! Lots of dipping into public funding for things they should not be !
Great place to work where you can learn more about your field of study from industry professionals. typical day at work was working with department on various projects as well as having your own project to do over the course of the internship
Working for the City of Sarnia as a day camp counselor was a very enjoyable experience. Alongside the main art instructor, I was able to assist children from ages 6-12 in creating wonderful pieces to bring home and be proud of. All children who attended were positively encouraged to step outside their comfort zone (be it drawing, painting, sculpture, etc) and expand their experience with different mediums of art. All workers involved with this summer program were kind and easy to build a positive workplace relationship with and I intend to return each summer to hopefully gain the role as an art camp assistant for many more summers to come.
Pros
Working with art and helping children create pieces they are proud of. Also, 40 min lunch break!
Cons
Tiring at times, but worth it.
The views were beautiful, most of the staff were not they had all worked together in the past and had no interest with any outsiders when the big boss came down and asked me how it was going i told her honestly that i feel attacked at times or that it isn't the most friendly environment. must not have been that important to hr because she did nothing about it, just went in one ear and out the other. the mornings were dictated by the on site supervisor and the schedule was made by both of the young lady's who supervised the beach staff, and was not well made sloppy and unorganized basically they scheduled the summer around their social schedule. overall not the worst summer job but definitely wouldn't go back unless things were drastically changed.
Pros
beautiful views
Cons
poorly organized and immature staff
Great job to work outside and meet friends. Get to see your work help people on a daily basis. Didn't make much money at all. Barely over minimum wage.
Working with the city day camp program was a great summer job for a student. It pay minimum wage but was 40 hours a week all summer long for students who needed a bit of extra cash. Kid were great and planning the days and day trips was awesome.
Other then the fact that management is usually picked if you know someone who works at city hall it is a enjoyable workplace. the people are amazing who work there and will back you up on anything that the public has to complain about.
Pros
Outdoor work.
Cons
long days in heat
The City of Sarnia habitually engages in human rights violations that get swept under the rug due to bureaucratic management bull. The management is unsympathetic and has no integrity. They are a renegade City that has to be reminded repeatedly to follow regulations by the ministry of Labour. Hostile work environment from coworkers. High stress, no recognition. The public will love you if you treat them well. Pay and Benefits are good compensation.
Pros
good compensation, no over night shifts
Cons
irregular hours
Way too much drama and favouritism. Management was typically awesome to myself, but I also just showed up, worked hard, went home. Learned a lot about the amount of work that goes into each and every sports field in the city every day and the complexity of scheduling.
Pros
Good pay, hours
Cons
drama and favouritism
The city of Sarnia was a great place to work for. I would start my days cleaning and opening all public washrooms. This would usually take up my mornings and I spent my afternoons cutting grass in our public parks or fixing tables or setting up public functions. I spent my second year on the city's baseball crew lining ball diamonds and servicing the grounds and bathrooms. My third year I was strictly grounds maintenance where I cut grass in the public parks.
Pros
cutting grass and working for my hometown
Cons
seasonal work
A typical day at work involved taking the camp attendance, going over rules and what was going on in the day. We would then go outside and play games, snack time, craft time, lunch time, more games, snack time and then activities. On tuesdays and thursdays we would go to the beach depending on the weather and once a week we went on offsite trips. I learned more about team cooperation and problem solving. Management was mostly good, although not very understanding or reliable when it comes to situations or problems. My co-workers created drama and gossiped about other peoples business. They were not reliable and would not communicate with myself (the director). The hardest part of my job was dealing with my coworkers, the most enjoyable part was interacting with the campers.
Pros
being outdoors and working with the children
Cons
unreliable coworkers