City of Richmond Hill logo
City of Richmond Hill

City of Richmond Hill Employee Reviews for Swim Instructor

Centennial Pool

I applied to Centennial Pool as a lifeguard and instructor 1 year ago and was not disappointed. This was my very first job and everyone was very nice, welcoming and friendly. I’m able to positively communicate with the people I work with and as well as the patrons. I was easily able to be familiar with the pool and its rules through my co workers.

Not the culture for me, even though it's probably objectively fine

I just didn't vibe well with the manager of the facility I was working at and the wider employee base aren't necessarily the most interesting or tolerable individuals in the world, but this is highly dependent on who you end up working with, which can be highly variable

Fun work environment but hostile and unprofessional management.

My direct managers where hostile and unprofessional however my coworkers are fun and the work environment is moderately welcoming and inviting. The job was entertaining and I enjoyed working with and teaching children swimming.

Stressful

A lot of responsibility, hard work place as a first job, really stressful, hardest part of the job was getting along with co-worker, best part was teaching.

Pros

good experience I gained a lot of skills i didn't have before

Cons

not a very positive environment for me

Poor Management

Poor management but a lot of experience is gained from this workplace. You are subject to lay-offs should a pool capacity not be optimal for employment without notice (from experience). Seen lots in aquatics. No benefits for part-time staff. Great job for high school students but they tend to treat adults like teens as a result. You are required to spend 15 mins prior to your shift and can be asked to stay 15 mins after without pay to help set-up/clean-up.

Lifeguard/swim instructor

The environment overall was great. It is fun and social and yet everything is still very organized. I met some of my best friends at this job, got great experience, and made good pay

Don't work as a lifeguard

Management is extremely disrespectful, condescending and sexist. Swim instructors are treated very poorly both by management and student parents. Underpaid. Work elsewhere.

Provides environments to improve on communication skills

An enjoyable job where I can not only perform job requirements, but improve on leadership roles and generate bonds with co-workers to perform at an even better rate.

Excellent Job Culture and Flexible Hours

I do many thinks at the pool, the to main and obvious things I do are to prevent accidents/treat them, and to teach children, adults, toddlers how to be comfortable in the water and how to swim. On a Regular Lifeguard shift, we would always arrive 20min early to prepare for the swim to take place, same goes for instructionals. Everyone treats each other as an equal and is it very fun working in the atmosphere the pool provides. The most difficult part of the job has to be the communication and patience with smaller children and there ability to swim. Some kids are more difficult to deal with than others but at the very end of the day, they are learning new things and are being motivated to be active. Management is amazing, very easy to talk to and if we have any concerns, they take the right actions and ensure that it will meet up to the persons expectation.

Pros

Amazing Staff, and Free Food

Cons

Alot of short shifts
  • City of Richmond Hill