City of Richmond, VA

City of Richmond, VA Employee Reviews

It is what you make of it.

Not a bad gig coming from the construction industry. Feels like your experience is respected. Some managment is great and you can tell they are giving it their all while attempting to be fair and honest. Other management is borderline criminal and it's hard to believe that the behavior is and has been tolerated for years in some cases.

Not much good. Poor management, laziness, and no room to move up.

It could be a good place to work if you know the right people. Most people do not want to work and just want to start trouble. Stressful and depressing place to work unfortunately…

Benefits

Cons

Bad pay, no on call incentive, rude and untrustworthy people

Management is…..

SOP is out the window, kinda just learn on the fly. Not terrible to work but PTOs days and vaca days are very small compared to other localities, you can find better income elsewhere, they don’t pay as much as other localities.

N/a

I would rather not say much. i like working for the city of richmod on most day. it has its isses but can be very rewarding. No real complaints besides pay

Horrible Place to Work

Most of the leadership is incompetent within the city of richmond. They follow a practice of promoting the least knowledgable people and forcing the competent people to leave. It is a corrupt workplace from the Mayor on down and has been for decades. City Council is clueless.Never work in Finance because they are so disrespectful of people that the staff keeps leaving.

Worker

Great place to work, love my co workers and managers. Excellent opportunities for advancement, Headed into a new direction and wanting to change the outlook of city government

Unfortunate

You are not likely to ever receive a promotion in the city - not an official one. You will most definitely receive additional responsibilities, and they’ll call it a promotion. Do not expect a raise, ever. If you get a cost of living raise here and there, consider yourself lucky. Do not expect a title change, the process is too troublesome for most managers to bother with.Managers are often well versed in their fields, and are frequently caught up in endless meetings, but know nothing of leadership. Culture is dreadful and will take years to improve. There is an inexplicable mistrust amongst employees, which makes it difficult to find genuine camaraderie.I truly wish I had something more positive to add, but I want to be as honest as possible. I worked across nearly every department in the city, and there is only one office I’d ever recommend working for - but they’re not hiring. I would suggest looking into other employment if you have that luxury.

Pros

Holidays, Healthcare, Public service, Variety of experiences

Cons

Management, Culture, PTO policy, Lack of job advancement opportunities

I work part City and part State...been with the office 15yrs.

Its a great place to work. I have been there 15yrs. Theres never a dull moment, the work is rewarding. We serve as an important part of our justice system.

Pros

good PTO

Cons

No paid FMLA, short term disability but can purchase DI from Aflac. Expensive health insurance

Be ready to work

The staff are some of the most caring people from different walks of life. Management can be tough are numbers driven. When you come to be trained you need to adsorb what you learn and be able to apply it or you won't make it pass probation. You also need to get along with others.

Pros

flexible

Cons

numbers driven

Depending on your department and manager

The job can be hard or easy just depends on where you work and who you work for. It’s not a hard job not demanding but the people can make it hard that you work with. Laid back you don’t get paid for performance but you can move up if you keep your head down and stay out the way.

Pros

Good work home life

Cons

Pay isn’t great and don’t get paid for your work

Mangers stink

Managers don’t care about people getting raises and growing in your career. Even if you get certificates or licenses they don’t reward you in pay increases.

The management does not have any care in the morale and well-being of its employees.

The mid managers/supervisors are great, however the senior management does not even have an approved plan in place for advancement and/or raises. Our senior techs have not had a raise in almost three years.

Pros

Good team!

Cons

Dead end job.

Great co-workers, oblivious upper-level management

Very pleasant office environment overall, with great co-workers and some good flexibility in how to handle the workload. However, Covid response was uneven and inconsistent, with little provision or consideration of need to work from home. A hiring freeze left my team an overworked shell of its former self, with no effort made to reorganize us. Also, sloppy HR handling when I left - no exit interview or explanation of recouping $ from unused vacation, etc.

Pros

Friendly collegial environment

Cons

Upper-level management does not care about you, at all

Productive workplace

Overall, a great workplace with improvement opportunities. However opportunities were hard to become hired for. Supervisors were very helpful and knowledeable

Pros

Lots of new challenges with cross training experiences

Great place to work if you never expect a raise of any real type.

The city is great except for giving out raises. The raise are based on the city counsel giving them out based on tax base. You may get a raise every 5 years if lucky.

Pros

great schedle

Cons

No real raises

Great Learning Environment

My position has stretched me in to learning more about my field. Management in most cases are open to innovation, and care about the employees working conditions.

Pros

Paid time off

Cons

Unstable leadership, constant turnover

Great team to work with. Hours were flexible and management was fair and encouraging. Work was overwhelming at times butthere were down timesas well.

thoughts

If you're a warm body this is the place. No need to try to do anymore than job description says. You can get promoted without qualifications if the boss

Pros

pay not bad for what you do

Cons

poor attitudes, "not my problem" type stuff

Like books and people? This is the job for you!

I consider myself truly fortunate to work for the Richmond Public Library. My colleagues are dedicated, smart and caring individuals who treat our patrons with the utmost courtesy and respect. I thought I delivered excellent customer service before I started working for RPL, but in my 5+ years of working there, I have learned the true meaning of superior customer service, which my coworkers consistently deliver day in and day out. We all have off days, and sometimes situations can be stressful, but when you've helped someone with a job application or seen a child smile after checking out a book, it just makes your day. I am a proud employee of RPL and the City of Richmond and enthusiastically encourage applicants to consider a career with us.

Pros

Helping people, supportive managers

Cons

Budget limitations

Terrible management

Management in Public utilities is terrible they will be nice to you then fire you for something without knowledge or warning to you. No security at all

Pros

Pay

Cons

No security

Checks every box on what an employer should not be....

City HR is useless unless you are a relative. Get used to abuse. Open retaliation and misconduct by Supervisors. Only good part is the schedule and benefits.

Pros

Schedule and no layoffs.

Cons

Toxic work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Richmond, VA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement