City of Red Deer logo
City of Red Deer

City of Red Deer Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Overcoming stereotypes

Being the only indigenous administrative assistant around it was challenging and hard work to overcome stereotypes and prove my worth. I worked very hard.

Benefits

Cons

Stereotypical colleagues

Casual positions mean you are of no value.

As a facility operations worker you start out casual and the job seems good. The pay is really good for an entry level job but the rest is a joke. Training is little and poor, lots for the worker to be liable for and they never mention that. Confidential meetings aren't and the promotion of school yard favoratism is there. Due to the union environment those that are unqualified get into positions where they shouldn't be and are safe from any meaningful reprimand. As a casual your expected to live your life around a schedule you don't get to see until its released and then your expected to find replacements for shifts you can't make. Hours are never guaranteed but there is much lip service on how there are so many hours available, which you find out goes to facility operators favorites and everyone else gets few. The work load is often too heavy for one but that's how they like to schedule it. On the bright side you get lots of opportunity to train yourself...most of your coworkers are good and want to help as much as they can but they are also stuck in the same situation.

Pros

Wage, good job if you have no experience or skills

Cons

No value given to worker, toxic work environment, no value given to experience or skills.

Great place to work...The people made the difference

Management took the time to ensure that you have all training required to do the jobs to the best of your abilities. Focus was on the team accomplishments not so much the individual.

Great Manager

Supportive supervisor great benefits and salary. Many staff were positive and encouraging. There was always new things to learn and resources to help you along the way.

Pros

great manager

Cons

long hours short staffed

Great Place to Work

Working with the City Of Red the employees and employers that I work with are Professional, Fun, team orientated, I would recommend working for the City of Red Deer.

Workplace Culture

I worked in operations at one of the rec centres. Pretty much the only good thing was the pay. The managers did not care about their people and treated them like a number. When they did care, they played favourites which was not fair to other hard working employees. Very cliquey. Co Workers were generally pretty awesome and fun to work with. Management made it an unhealthy working environment.

Pros

Good Pay, Nice Co Workers (Mostly)

Cons

Very hard to get a permanent position

productive and fun work place.

Great job. Excellent staff. Company truck. Weekends off. Various buildings to clean,including City Hall, Water treatment plant. Totally regret leaving this job. ( Sick father in-law came to live with us/just moved him into Bethany after 5 yrs of care )

Great coworkers bad management

I worked at the city for 5 years. The people I worked with were amazing. Management and HR however are a joke to say the least. I had identified a work hazard and was told because it shon a negative light on the city I would be reprimanded or let go if I told anyone else about it. I was quite upset and went to HR where I was told the same thing. I quit shortly after...

Pros

Great employees, great benefits

Cons

HR is not there for you

Great workplace

Great systems in place to keep staff working diligently, great pay. great hours with supervisors helping to perfect schedules across the board. Great place to develop people skills as working directly with the public is a constant

Pros

cheap pass

Cons

sometimes cliques developed in the workplace

Enjoy working for The City of Red Deer. Will eventually retire from this position.

Terrific company to work with. Great work environment, salary, benefits and management. Opportunity for advancement. Excellent vacation schedule and guaranteed hours.

Pros

One day off every three weeks.

Jobs at City of Red Deer

See more jobs

Transporting persons from place to place

Commence on route to pick up patrons to take them either to work or where they can continue their journey to their destination. I am very understanding and considerate of others. Help patrons with their destination, give advice if required. Drove responsible, watched for inexperienced drivers. Love communication with people. I am a clean, responsible, well mannered lady who love to serve the public.

Pros

Help people

Cons

Fun and enjoyable work environment

Working for the City of Red Deer was a rewarding job: which included the ability to meet and interact with new and very interesting people. This employment gave me the new skills to be confident with the interaction with diverse cultures.

Great!

Working in this atmosphere was one of the most healthy and fantastic times of my life. I would recommend working for the city to anyone. You get a lot out of what you give in!

Casual Employment in the Dryland Department means Casual

I work with some pretty amazing people in the Dryland Department at the GH Dawe Community Centre. The hours don't meet my needs and after 5+ years I am still unable to advance since there are not many opportunities to advance within this department.

Pros

AMAZING co-workers and constantly changing. Every day is a new adventure

Cons

As a casual employee you have no guaranteed ANYTHING. Hours, seniority, benefits, bathroom coverage.

Typical working day

I love working for the City of red Deer, the people to work with are awesome, leads and supervisors are incredible to work with, very fair, understanding and make coming to work fun and enjoyable.

Pros

Great people to work with, Great management, decent pay

Cons

Not enough perm. postions in depts that despratley need them

Good Place to work

Learned lots during my Summer practicum, good people to work with. Basically Helped operators with daily tasks such as water mainline flushing or plant house keeping.

Good Employer

Learned lots everyday and fun to work. New Challenges everyday. I enjoy working with the city and the bosses are awesome to work with.

Good benefits

Was ok to work for. Good benefits and pension plan. But not great when it came to taking care of their employees and caring about what they were dealing with.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

management not good

City of Red Deer Review

A great place to work. Plenty of room for advancement and benefits. Supporting senior management team and lots of opportunities.

Fun workplace, good people, good pay.

A typical day at work in this position over the fall-winter term includes communicating with patrons and the general public as a lifeguard while also maintaining a safe, clean, and manageable pool environment. In the spring-summer term, work was a bit more busy, as it was the busiest time of the year, mainly due to the fact that an outdoor pool was present in the work environment. I have learned a variety of communication skills and first aid techniques being in this position for three years. It was a team environment, so co-workers were very diligent and was very good with communication with fellow co-workers and myself. Hardest part of the job is the consistency of enforcing rules onto the general public (mainly children, young teen, and teen). Most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside a great team of co-workers.

Pros

Free access to facility areas, such as pool and gym. Good pay.

Cons

Authoritive figure can get overwhelming at times.

4 out of 10

It is ok. not the greatest environment or management. took me 4 years to get benefits. outside work is great in the summer no so much in the winter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Red Deer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement