City of Red Deer

City of Red Deer Employee Reviews for Laborer

City workers can get a bad rep. You hear the comments about being lazy and admittedly a lot of this is deserved. Public Works and Parks are horribly unorganized and should be seriously looked at by HR/City Manager. The Electric Light and Power and Environmental Services departments are run very well and the workers are very skilled and hard working. I worked in Environmental Services for Construction and Maintenance. They build and fix the water and sewer system. These guys worked really hard and the work was rewarding but the leadership was hit or miss. The Construction Lead Foreman was the best boss I’ve ever worked for, he knew the job, led by example and was well respected. On the other hand the superintendent was awful. I can’t think of a single time he provided any real value to anyone and he thought of his workers as numbers rather than people.
Working for the City is enjoyable. It has developed a culture that you want to be a part of. Waking up for work isn't so bad when you are a part of such a great team.
Pros
Spend your days in the sunshine and with friends
Cons
6am start time
It is ok. not the greatest environment or management. took me 4 years to get benefits. outside work is great in the summer no so much in the winter
worked here for one season had a great time hard to get on full time though. They give you lots of training on different types of equipment ie hydrovac, packer
Pros
great people and work
Cons
seasonal
I really enjoy working with the City, I am just dissapointed that I only have a temporary position. I enjoy the variety of work, and doing something different. I like my coworkers and everyone is easy to work with.
Pros
lots of social events
Cons
that i only have a seasonal position
gained a lot of experience operating equipment, fun work environment
General landscaping around the city. Great crew to work with. Low-stress level. The best thing about it was completing a job and being able to see what you had accomplished.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Red Deer?